Engine Oil Pan Gasket and Torque - 1999 SOHC 4.0 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Oil Pan Gasket and Torque - 1999 SOHC 4.0 4WD

albator

Reaction score
City, State
Bonny Doon, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I removed the oil pan without issue. 10mm bolts. The inside is super clean, it's surprising. And not a single drop of oil dropped!
The old gasket is really stuck, and there seems to be some extra adhesive, a white paste.

How to remove the old gasket?

When I install a new gasket, should I also add extra sealant?

What's your preferred sourcing of parts for the new gasket? Preferred brand?
I couldn't find the OEM Motorcraft part number?

What is the torque spec?

Should I re-torque the upper side too, like advised for the transmission?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed the oil pan without issue. 10mm bolts. The inside is super clean, it's surprising. And not a single drop of oil dropped!
The old gasket is really stuck, and there seems to be some extra adhesive, a white paste.

How to remove the old gasket?

When I install a new gasket, should I also add extra sealant?

What's your preferred sourcing of parts for the new gasket? Preferred brand?
I couldn't find the OEM Motorcraft part number?

What is the torque spec?

Should I re-torque the upper side too, like advised for the transmission?

There should not have been any sealant on your old oil pan gasket. Check your sheet metal oil pan for straightness
on the rails where it bolts to the upper oil pan. If it's been over-tightened in the past and is bent, replace the oil pan.

Do/use whatever you have to do to remove the old gasket completely. It clips into the sheet metal oil pan

Fel-Pro makes a great gasket for this purpose (s/b around $20). It is a re-usable gasket.
Fel-Pro OS30687R Oil Pan Gasket around $19 on Amazon

Do not use any sealant on the new gasket. it's not required or necessary

Torque spec for the oil pan bolts is 80 inch pounds (which is not very tight = 6.6 foot pounds)
Same for the upper pan bolts. It should not be necessary to re-torque the upper pan bolts.

Thanks a lot!

The old pan is now clean as a whistle. It looks straight.
When the rain stops I will place the pan against the engine to see how straight it really is.
I bought a replacement gasket. It will arrive next week.

There should not have been any sealant on your old oil pan gasket. Check your sheet metal oil pan for straightness
on the rails where it bolts to the upper oil pan. If it's been over-tightened in the past and is bent, replace the oil pan.

Do/use whatever you have to do to remove the old gasket completely. It clips into the sheet metal oil pan

Fel-Pro makes a great gasket for this purpose (s/b around $20). It is a re-usable gasket.

Torque spec for the oil pan bolts is 80 inch pounds (which is not very tight = 6.6 foot pounds)
Same for the upper pan bolts. It should not be necessary to re-torque the upper pan bolts.

Where do you find the list of torque specs?
I have a Chilton book, it's useless.
Do you recommend a better one?

Great list, thanks.
But I don't see the torque spec for the transmission pan.
Somewhere I heard 97 lb-in.

It's there - look harder...
"Oil pan (sheet metal) to crankcase reinforcement section bolts: 80 lb-in (E/MWM)"

Back