bird chirp -- water pump? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bird chirp -- water pump?

Wrench said:
The reason for the bird chirp noise emitting from the drive unit (not the sensor itself) is lack of lubrication on the upper shaft support within the drive unit. When you remove the worn out CMP synchronizer drive unit you will notice the excessive side movement on the upper shaft. If you were to continue to drive your vehicle with the old drive unit you would end up dead in the water at some point as the upper shaft cam would destroy the CMP sensor. The only reliable fix is to replace the synchronizer drive unit. Make sure you understand how to remove and install the drive unit properly before you start the process. Make sure you purchase the right drive unit and alignment tool for your particular year, model, and VIN. Also look cafefully at the interior of the CMP sensor to make sure it is still serviceable.
Or worse yet, it could lock up and shear the drive gear off. If it is squeaking, it is worn. Don't lube-replace
At BEST, it will leave you stranded when it fails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you guys ABSOLUTELY sure that a 91-94 OHV even has a CMP sensor?

410Fortune said they do not, in another thread, and I am (so far) unable to find one attached to the back of my block. I have not inspected with a mirror yet though, and that's what I really need to do. All I felt were the O2 sensor wires, and of course the plug wires running up high.

I recall reading a few years ago that the chirping was due to a emission control component in the passenger side exhaust manifold. After things warmed up enough it would go away. My 93 had this chirping sound that sounded like a bunch of birds under the hood. Like yours it appeared shorytly after startup than would eventually go away. I ignored it and after a few months - maybe 1/2 a year or more- it has fairly well gone. I have about 225k on the clock now.

91-93 for a fact does not have the CMP. wouldnt be surprized if your 94 doesnt. it was introduced in the 94 model year, so its probably not on most, haha.

let me ask you this, does it have wiring harness plug comming out the top? if not, then you dont! That would be your oil pump shaft, could it be squeeking? if so you better get on that ASAP!! haha

Creager said:
91-93 for a fact does not have the CMP. wouldnt be surprized if your 94 doesnt. it was introduced in the 94 model year, so its probably not on most, haha.

Ah ha, so 91-93 have no CMP and it was intro'ed in the 94 model year, that helps...

hm well mine was built in 11/93 so it's a mid-model-year 94.

Creager said:
let me ask you this, does it have wiring harness plug comming out the top? if not, then you dont!

When I was looking, I thought I was looking at the O2 sensor harnesses since they go down there. Like I said I need to get a mirror out and really inspect it closely. It's warm weather now so it's stopped chirping...out of sight=out of mind with Rhett heh

Creager said:
That would be your oil pump shaft, could it be squeeking? if so you better get on that ASAP!! haha

aaaah. You scare me talkin like that. :) If it's that I'll be parking the truck and 302/AOD will follow.

You would probably have to take your lower intake off to really get to it. Im sure you could do without removing the lower, but it would be a pain.

oh well, outta sight, outta mind. Watch the noise never return.

So what the $$%#$^ was the problem? I read this thread and there was no ending to the novel!!

Maybe he found a bird's nest on the motor, and the bird chirp was really a bird??? :D :p

one clue that the water pump is leaky is there would be a light white powder on the edge of the pulleys and belt. but usually that is more of a squeel than a chirp

I have the squeel/squeak going at idle. Sounds like it's coming from the water pump but it's hard to isolate it even with a mechanics stethoscope. No sign of water from the pump yet but at over 150K I figure it's time for a pump change and flushing just for preventive maintenance.

Still wonder what the other guy found.

No, but I did replace the belt since it was ancient. I already bought the waterpump and the fan removal tool, so I'll test everything when I do the waterpump replacement. I'll also take a look at the fan clutch. If that's a problem I'll probably upgrade to an electric fan upgrade too.

Bullitt5094 said:
I have the squeel/squeak going at idle. Sounds like it's coming from the water pump but it's hard to isolate it even with a mechanics stethoscope. No sign of water from the pump yet but at over 150K I figure it's time for a pump change and flushing just for preventive maintenance.

Still wonder what the other guy found.

The "other guy" hasn't had time to mess with it. I have really been busy the last 3 months or so on other projects.

During summer, it's almost quiet. I need to see if I do have a CMP back there, according to this thread, introduced in the 1994 model year; that's step #1.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this thread, and I genuinely have compassion and brotherly love for those of you following it. :D

I recently started getting a "bird chirp" noise from the belt/pulley area on my '98 Sport.

It only happens when it's cold, increases in frequency with RPMs, but seems to calm down and quiet after the engine warms up. I don't know if it's related, but this seemed to happen about a month after I changed my serpentine and tensioner. I also upgraded to a 200A alternator, so I don' think that's the problem. I've been searching the threads for an answer, and the general consensus seems to be the CMP. I'm gonna do some basic tests to pinpoint the problem this weekend (belt off test, stethoscope, etc.).

Rhett: I don't even know if our problems are the same since our X's are different generations, but I'm anxiously waiting to see how you fix your chirp ...good luck!

- Jamie

Lil98Sport4X4 said:
Rhett: I don't even know if our problems are the same since our X's are different generations, but I'm anxiously waiting to see how you fix your chirp ...good luck!

- Jamie

Your chirp sounds the same as mine. This morning was the coolest morning we've had in months, (about 62 degF) and it chirped. But I had a water problem in my basement the other day (we got 8" of rain) and so I'm busy with that. This chirp will be priority #1 as soon as it cools off. The CMP will get a thourough looking-at.

Update

After installing a new belt (Dayco) and idler pulley, the "bird chirp" disappeared. So I guess I lucked out on it being belt related and not the CMP.

Good riddance to noisy startups.

Rhett - Any luck with your X?

No. But then it is 100% quiet in warm weather. The other morning it was 55 degF and I heard the chirp again for the first time in months...

I will get to the bottom of it here once it starts getting cold...I know I shouldn't put it off , but I am very busy right now with other things...

But then it is 100% quiet in warm weather. The other morning it was 55 degF and I heard the chirp again for the first time in months...

I was wondering........do you park your car inside a garage or outdoors? Have you noticed a difference?

Reason I ask, is cause if it's outdoors........the morning condensation may be on you criticle parts (bearings) and when cold. Parts would have to run and "burn off," the condensation and get warmed up.

If it's parked in a garage (somewhat warmer) it may not cause the chirp........cause no condensation on the parts.

Perhaps, an experiment is in order.

Aloha, Mark

I park it in a garage. But what bearings? Every pulley in front is NEW NEW NEW.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK...............so, were back to.............when warm weather is around, NO SOUND.

Only when cold weather is around............chirp sounds.

Aloha, Mark

Back