bird chirp -- water pump? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bird chirp -- water pump?

I'm thinking camshaft pos sensor--Don't worry, you guys talking about it, will make me dig into it soon. I've got a friends wedding and a trip to St. Louis on the next 2 weekends though. Truck has to take 2nd fiddle to that...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard similar threads and comments indicating it's the Camshaft Pos Sensor. Mine has been problematic like Rhett's for going on 2 years now... quiet during the warm summer, but this morning I was able to catch it at idle after it warmed up!!! :eek: Much to what I expected, my very coarse evaluation pinpointed the noise to the rear of the engine (not the FEAD belt system), and the best I could isolate (without a scope) was the center top... likely where the CMP goes (I haven't seen it yet). I was trying to time the chirp (would be easier - and highly accurate - if I had a mic and tach pickup and could synchronize the sound to engine order)... it was about once for every 2 engine revs.

So, for what it's worth... I will second the CMP as a root cause... for now. Question is... what the repair process is like??? I'll look around, but if anybody can cough up a detailed repair, I would be eternally grateful. (as would the birds under the hood).

I live in colorado and my x does the exact same thing as you describe. I at first actually thought that a momma bird had nested up in the engine compartment as I could hear what sounded like a nest of hatchlings. I wouldnt be suprised considering where I live. I realized that it couldnt possibly be as I heard it for months after I first noticed the noise. 1) I can say that I definatly hear it at a idle and dont notice it as much at speed or varied rpm's. Mainly at idle. 2)It DEFINATLY goes away during warm weather. I havent heard it since last spring, not that I've kept a running log on it either. Mainly after I let it warm up for a few minutes on a cold morning while finishing gathering my things and come back outside to the "nest." Ha, funny and embarrasing. I havent changed a thing on the car in some time. I have a new belt that I haven't installed yet, but am pretty sure that isn't it. I know what that sounds like. I have built numerous mustang 5.0L engines and have never had this squeak. Im not afraid to do the job as long as I have info about "clocking" or arranging the sensor itself. I can live with it as its not to terribly loud but I hate anything sounding not correct with any car I own. I want to figure this out too!

cam synchronizer

Ok folks, help me out: I have a bird-chirp sound coming from some pulley up front (I think) and I'm needing some 2nd opinions on it...

I am writing because I also had the exact same problem with my '99 Explorer. I took it to the local Ford dealer who wanted $300 for the cam synchronizer and $200 labor to install. While searching the internet I found this forum and one suggestion was to add Seafoam to the oil. I did this once and my Explorer had been squeek free for a year now. I wanted to suggest to to people to try this first before spending the big bucks.

Heh heh

I have it too but it won't squeek when in neutral or park... so I have no fricken clue. It's intermittent... stays for 15 minutes sometimes and goes away for months. It went away for about two weeks when I had my upper and lower intake gaskets done. Gonna make the mechanics make sure everything got tightened down.

Any updates?

Hello Al et al: Sorry for the delay in checking this old thread.

Nope, still no change.

Still does it in cool weather, which is not right now. One morning we did get down to about 58 degF and then I did hear it a little bit--after 10 minutes of driving, just like it always does.

Good ol' reliable truck I have :D even the chirps are predictable.

So what's this about adding Seafoam to the oil solving it? I am very, very hesitant to add anything to my oil, as I use amsoil syn and also get oil analysis--additives tend to screw up oil analyses.

I would never, never put Sea Foam into my oil.

Squirt a drop or 2 or 3 of marvel mystery oil down into the cam position sensor-make it go down the shaft.

1994 Explorers do not have camshaft position sensors.

Instead they have a crank sensor aka CKP which has no moving parts!

I think I went down that road a few years ago too, chasing a red herring. All you 2nd gen guys kept pointing to the rotary CMP's you all have.

hmm is right, since "X" VIN code Explorers don't have CMP, they have a CKP

I did see that thread, and it always perplexes me when I see things like that. If my truck does have a CMP, I have never seen a diagram of its location on a 1st gen. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative.

Ok, Maybe I am wrong, but I seem to recall a sensor shaft back where the distributor would be-
it drives the oil pump also. I think Jdraper knows how to adjust it-so maybe he can tell ya exactly what to look for.

Thanks Jon I will do more research on this. I have seen conflicting reports over the years as to whether or not we (94 owners) have a rotary-type CMP or a fixed CKP. I know for a fact 95+ has a CMP for sure. But before that, I have conflicting info...

If it has a moving part that could be the chirper though.

And to add to the confusion-

The 2nd gen has a ckp and a cmp

You may also have both. The ckp ( crank sensor)times the ignition, the cmp (Cam sensor) times the injectors.

Ah thanks for that, I know Ford did some mix-and-match on parts sometimes, like the stock 90 Bronco II with a Dana35 up front.

Also I have not ruled out the exhaust manifolds/headers. Since the chirp disappears when the truck warms up, that could account for the headers warming up, sealing whatever is leaking as the metal expands. (??) I'll have to look back over this thread, maybe we brought it up back in 2005 when I started this thread. haha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CMP or CKP????

Yo,
I also have a chirper, 2000 Ford Explorer, 6 cyl. 4.0 L, with an X in the VIN. I was told by a couple of sources that I have a CMP, still can't find it. It is supposed to be located on the left valve cover. Did not see it.

This is what I see. Underneath the where the crankshaft belt pulley is, going aft (rear)there is a white drum with (this between the crankshaft damper and pulley) 26 grooves all the way around and one large groove. This is supposed to help you find TDC. Along side this is the crankshaft position sensor (CPK). It has a two arrow looking metal pieces very close to the white drum. Well somehow it has gotten so close to begin scoring the white piece. I can tell because there are two dark (must be getting hot) markings for about the third of the radius. Part of which is where the big groove is. It seems very obvious that this is what's rubbing and making the chirping noise on my car. The two metal arrows, which I assume are to insure the crankshaft is kept in line has some play. I wiggled it a little and went for a drive and heard nothing or slight chirps. If I continue to hear nothing I will leave it otherwise I will tighten the small bolts attaching it to make sure it stays perfecly straight.

MOST IMPORTANT....Check for the noise without your belt, as someone else in these threads have suggested. Only run it for a minute or so. If it squeaks with the belt completely removed then figure out if you need a CMP or CPK. If the noise stops without the belt have fun investigating the other possiblities (water pump, alternator, tension pulley, etc.) and don't get upset, just be grateful you can turn a wrench.

Hope this helps.:salute:

Back