bird chirp -- water pump? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bird chirp -- water pump?

Hey, I also have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 XLT (4x4), and within the past few weeks started hearing a chirping noise. Like others have written here, it seems to be affected by temperature to some degree, showing up more likely on cold mornings for 20-30 seconds. It frequently goes away with driving, although now and again it starts chirping again, even when warm. I say "chirp" because it is more of like birds chirping that a squeak (now, that is hard to explain!!). However, I was at a FORD dealer today whom I trust, and the technician indicated this was most likely the Cam Synchronizer, as they have seen it and repaired it before (I did NOT suggest the cam synchronizer).

I have ordered the part and will have it installed, and I will report back in a couple of days.

By the way, although tempting, this sound does not appear to be coming from a pulley (I had carefully lubricated the tensioner/idler, alternator, etc., pulleys as best I could with no effect--I also had used a recommended dielectric lubricant for the belt with no effect). FINALLY, the one other observation I have is that with a stethascope, the sound appears to be centered in the engine area and not forward toward the pulleys. Again, I'll post here after the replacement is installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fix for the noise worked great. Changed the Cam Synchronizer and the periodic squeaking/chirping noise is gone. I saved the removed part, and it is easy to see the problem. When you rotate the shaft in the housing it will squeak if you torque it at just the write angle/pressure. Also, there is just a smidge of play on the shaft if you try to rock it in the housing. This was the problem for sure.

Hope this is a help to all. You can get the part for $40-$50 from several web sites (at Ford the part is about $200 and Ford installation is the charge for 1.5 hrs labor--although it took them about 2.5 hours to do the job).

1994 Explorers do not have camshaft position sensors.

Instead they have a crank sensor aka CKP which has no moving parts!

I think I went down that road a few years ago too, chasing a red herring. All you 2nd gen guys kept pointing to the rotary CMP's you all have.

the confusion ends here! NOT ALL 94's have the cam sensor!!! SOME DO i dont know WHICH, but i have a 94 WITH the sensor. and bough an engine to go in it WITHOUT the sensor. F***in ANNOYING!!! so now i have to figure out how to time it, and fricken change a bunch of stuff!!!

I'd like to know when, or for what reason the change occured. I also wonder if it may make a difference if the truck has 4wd, or, auto--manual transmission

I'd like to know when, or for what reason the change occured. I also wonder if it may make a difference if the truck has 4wd, or, auto--manual transmission

ours is 4x4 auto and has manual hubs. dunno if that helps

I hope that's the source of the bird chirp. I have never heard a water pump do a bird chirp, it was always a lower-pitched noise, so this one kind of threw me. If it turns out to be the alternator pulley...well..I guess I'll find out soon enough.

It's the original water pump so it has 117,000 miles on it. I read another post here about water pumps going out at about that time, so...

I have 208k on my original waterpump. I converted car to dexcool when it was 2 years old. No silicates in dexcool to cause waterpump to fail
Car is a 1996 explorer 4.0 BTW

Ok so I now have this problem too... I never did before until last night I decided to put some white lube grease on my belt to prevent any squeak or problem on the 732mile road trip im taking it on Friday.. Today when I was leaving school I heard the car chirping, and as I drove faster it became quicker. Sound was only present in D, and when the car was in motion (aka when the gas pedal was pressed). I let the car sit idle on my street a block from home and I looked all over the engine for the chirp.. nada.. then when i drove into my garage it stopped!

I really hope someone found a solution to this! I cant afford getting broken down on my way up to NorCal. Otherwise im going to be forced to take my S4, which I really dont want to..

Rhett-- Any new news? I have the same problem... annoying chirping that happens only a few minutes after starting, and goes away when it's warm out or after a few minutes of driving.

If there's a break in the rain i'm going out and looking at my Crankshaft Position Sensor.... i'd LOVE for that to be the problem and not something like the CMP... :S

This is driving me crazy... it's so annoying!!

wasn't my crank pos sensor. Replaced my belt drive (tensioner, idler, and belt) with new parts (DAYCO) and no squeak at all for 5 weeks now. looked like everything was original equipment... it all had the raised ford logo on it. (127k miles)

Rhett-- Any new news?

Yes. (!) :D (after all this time...)

It was the CAMSHAFT SYNCHRONIZER. Replaced, bird chirp gone. Not a simple job on the OHV 4.0 engine due to the location of the cam synchro, on the back of the block near the firewall. Pretty much requires removal of the upper intake mani (including IAC valve, EGR, all vac lines, throttle cable, etc.)

Here is a youtube vid that gives a good overview of the part, its function, and replacement tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmYehbDwuHw

Anyway, I knew I had this ancient thread unresolved, so I figured I would get on here and wrap it up in case anyone runs into this in the future. See you later and hope all is well with everyone.

Back