• Register Today It's free!

Engine Stalling

Darkmand26

Reaction score
City, State
Okc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer limited 2.3
Hello everyone, first post here. I have a 2016 explorer limited 2.3. 130,000 miles. I got the car with 106000 miles and it's been a problem ever since. I bought it and took a 2600 round trip 2 days later in it. Upon getting 60 miles from the house on the way back, it started shaking a little bit. Made it home and went to back up in the driveway and it wouldn't back up unless floored. Took it to the dealer and they rebuilt the transmission under customer satisfaction program 20N07. Everything was fine but it felt like i lost power. Ten about a month later started getting random shutdowns when driving, didnt matter the speed. Highway 75mph or city 30mph. It would give a little shake and 2 seconds later dead. Would shift harder from 2nd to 3rd than other gears. I mean where you would think it wouldn't shift and let up off the gas. Than it would shift. Sometimes I anticipated it and would subconsciously lift, but when i didnt it was noticable. Like i had a shift kit in it. Rpms would fluctuate 500-1500 while sitting still at a light. Light turn green and hit the gas, it would hesitate than take off. Sometimes gas would spill right before pump stopped filling.Engine light would come on, codes would read p0171, p0087, p0299, and p0131 Wouldn't start for a good hour and half dead battery. Got it towed home. Replaced battery started right up no codes. Took it to dealer died on way to dealer wrench light came on. Got it started. Told them all the codes and all they replaced was the fuel filler neck. Believe it or not it worked good for about 3 months. No lights, shifted like a dream, but it still felt like I was low on power. Like they turned the boost down. Took a 1000 mile trip. Then all of a sudden it stalled while driving 85mph. But the best part is while coasting to a stop, it responded again. I had no gas pedal response rpms were down and we were slowing down then the rpms jumped to about 3000 and the pedal responded again. I never pulled over just kept driving. It did it 3 more times until it finally stopped. But no engine light at all. Took it to ford dealer. Sat for 5 hours to be told we don't see anything wrong. I'm 400 miles from home. Said ok but I'm not gonna make it. Went 5 miles died. Took 20 min to start. Went back to dealer. No engine light. Nothing they could do. Started trip again and went all 400 miles without a problem. How? why? what can I do? I have no proof to show anyone unless i start videoing every ride from now on. I don't even want to drive the thing anymore. Sorry for the long post, just wanted you to fully understand my problem

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
One of the issues with the 2016 Explorer was with the throttle body. Perhaps you should have that checked.

Peter

Well I replaced the fuel injection pressure sensor and haven't had a problem yet 400 miles later. Response seems better, gas mileage is better. So far fingers crossed

Back