• Register Today It's free!

Engine starts, dies immediately

follybob

Reaction score
City, State
Cahrleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I could really use some help on this. I recently acquired a 93 XLT. It was a gift and was supposedly not running. I replaced the battery and turned it over. It turned over, started, ran for about three seconds and then died. It would turn over, try to run, but would never quite run. The next day, the same thing. When I cranked it, it fired up for a few seconds, died and would not fire up again until the first try the next day....I did a compression check, which resulted in an average of about 115 lbs. with no great variances between cylinders. I replaced the plugs while I was in there. It is definitely getting spark. I checked the fuel pump relay and straight wired the pump to run with the same results. Knowing it was getting spark and air, I replaced the fuel filter. Same thing. Thinking it could only be the fuel pump, I replaced it. Much to my dismay, same thing. I tried pinching off the return line to see if the regulator was letting all the fuel pass back to the tank. Same thing. I don't know. It just won't run. It really puzzles me that it will start and run the first try but never again till the next day. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that if you unplug the MAF sensor, it will have the symptoms you are describing.

I would try cleaning the MAF sensor.

Sounds like a vacuum leak could be in there somewhere, might look for that.

Happy trails!!

ps welcome to the boards, hope we can be of some help to you!!

Check the I.A.C. which controls the air intake. Mine is doing the same thing, and I am positive this is the problem, but vehicle is still under warranty, and they won't give me the part, they have to log diagnostic time against it first, next monday. Ford has the part in stock for mine, a 2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC, for around 63.00.
Hope this helps.

If you can find the I.A.C. tap it with a screwdriver to see if it frees it up. They stick, but no way to lubricate them.

I agree with Ksharpe.

It's usally a heat sencitive prob though.

perhaps the timing chain/belt is bad???

I recently replace the IACV on my wife's explorer to stop the howling and about 3 days later, the same thing was happening. I thought that the alternator went out and I replaced it and the battery and the problem continued. Returned the alternator and began looking for a vacuum leak, but no luck. I retorqued the IACV bolts and the damn thing purs like a kitten now ... guess the gasket between the Upper Intake Manifold and the IACV must have folder over or something. When I got it home, I completely removed the IACV, applied some black RTV to the gasket on the UIM and reinstalled and torqued down the IACV ... problem gone ;)

if you have air conditioning, unplug the AC Compressor and try starting her again. It could be seized and the engine is dying because it can't spin the belt, it may burn off eventually.

i had identical problems that happened one day out of the blue, and it was the AC compressor that had seized.

hope this helps.

leo

Back