Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribing...

:popcorn:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

motor mounts?

The motor mounts on the 4bt are at the very front of the block while the mounts for the SOHC are further aft. If you weld new chassis mounts on the frame rails will the one on the driver side interfere with the steering box?

The motor mounts on the 4bt are at the very front of the block while the mounts for the SOHC are further aft. If you weld new chassis mounts on the frame rails will the one on the driver side interfere with the steering box?

Before I even started the swap, I figured I'd have to make new brackets for both the block and the frame, so I just have to make them so they clear the rack. It looks like I've got plenty of room, but I dont have a steering rack right now.

I picked up a Powerstroke starter from my starter guy to test it out. (good thing we've been dealing with him for 20 years, he said take it and see if it fits.) I need to have our machine shop cut me a sleeve to center the starter. (I can have them machine down the stock spacer, its the right ID and OD but its too long.) It spun the motor over perfect, no strange noises or grinding. Its longer and skinnier, it should clear the frame.

ive got a steering rack you can have, its still in my 98 ex but as soon as it comes out you can have it, should be in the next two weeks when the motor comes out.

Glad you came through Tom, I checked my shed no gots on the rack.

ive got a steering rack you can have, its still in my 98 ex but as soon as it comes out you can have it, should be in the next two weeks when the motor comes out.

Cool, thanks. Let me know when its out. If I dont have one by then, I'll run down and grab it.

I dont care about TREs or hoses. I just need it to be there to make sure everything clears.

I should have the rack tomorrow. The guy hasnt used the one I gave him yet, He said he'll bring it to work with him.

I machined down the stock spacer into a centering ring to work with the 7.3l starter. Starter is mounted now. I dont my camera here, so no pics today.

Got the steering rack back today.
Picked up my pyrometer yesterday.
Ordered my pillar gauge pod.

I put the truck on the scale today.

Front axle:
2350#

Rear axle:
2050#

I dont know for sure how accurate the scale is, they've been having problems with it lately, but 4400# sounds about right to me. I have to talk to the plant next door and see if I can get it on the full scale. This one is a single axle scale.

Someone has been pestering me to update this thread (you know who you are!).
Let me start by saying I dont really have a budget, whatever it costs is what it costs. I've been buying parts, so let me get some numbers down on paper (prices include shipping):
1200 --- Engine
75 --- Trans
12 --- Motor mounts (28.50 for the different set, I'm not sure which will work better yet.)
14 --- Trans mount
54 --- turbo rebuild kit
57 --- Vacuum gauge
30 --- Vacuum tank
48 --- Boost gauge
99 --- Pyrometer
37 --- 2 gauge pillar pod
11 --- 3 gauge universal pod (cut it up within hours of receiving it)
135 --- Starter
105 --- Tach adapter (used to retain stock tach)
40 --- Pedals (This is also a manual conversion)
20 --- 3200 RPM spring
25 --- T-stat housing (angled instead of straight)
75 --- Power steering pump
32 --- "A" torsion bars ( 1.09" diameter, truck had "B" bars 1.06" dia.)
53 --- Electric fuel pump (90's GMC low pressure external pump)
230 --- 12cm³ exhaust housing (non-wastgate)

I did get a little work done over the weekend, not as much as I would have like to (family stuff gets in the way):

DSCF1768.jpg

DSCF1766.jpg

I grafted the 3 gauge pod in, and eliminated the rear wiper switch (I dont use it anyway). I'm done with the epoxy and glass work, still need to do the finishing work and paint.

You happy Steve?

Still needs paint, but you get the point.

DSCF1772.jpg

DSCF1771.jpg

that looks awesome!

Subscribing!

that looks awesome!

Thanks.
I may have to do some more work though. Depending on what T-case I use. If I go with a np205, I'll have to shave the 4x4 switch (and I might as well do the lighter socket too). Or I'll mold some relocated vents into the sides.

how did you make that anyway? fiberglass i take it? id really like to learn to do that

Absolutely subscribing to see how this goes! Looks great, shaving the 4x4 switch and cig lighter and putting small vents in would be pretty slick, as well as useful if you plan to use this as a D.D. If its a trail rig only you wouldn't use the vents very often and might not be worth the time.

how did you make that anyway? fiberglass i take it? id really like to learn to do that

I used a spare Radio bezel i had sitting around. I bought a cheap 3 gauge pod off ebay (APC universal pod -- $11 shipped):

311758900_tp.jpg

I cut them both up and glassed them together. A little bondo (a lot of sanding) and VIOLA!

Absolutely subscribing to see how this goes! Looks great, shaving the 4x4 switch and cig lighter and putting small vents in would be pretty slick, as well as useful if you plan to use this as a D.D. If its a trail rig only you wouldn't use the vents very often and might not be worth the time.

Find me some vents. ;)

Finished:

DSCF1783.jpg

DSCF1784.jpg

DSCF1782.jpg

I painted it Krylon gloss black, then cleared it with matte clear. I'll put it back together on monday, The 4x4 switch, indicator, and gauges are at work.

Back