• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Its only about 700-750 lbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Once you move the battery and a couple other things out of the engine compartment, it ties the 5.0 for weight.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Its about the same as a 460.

offroader_69_me

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trinidad, Crawlorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
I'm going to pick the Ranger up tomorrow after work. Turns out its an '01 with 98k miles.

I've got no updates for the diesel swap. I spend the weekend at Raceway Park watching the nationals.

I would like to say congrats to local Pro-stock Motorcycle racer, defending PSM champ, current PSM points leader, and long time family friend, Eddie Krawiec for his first hometown win in PSM. Here's a pic of all of us in the winner's circle.

1338774396.jpg

Awesome Eddie is a great guy my stepdad works at V&H in indy with Eddie and Drew great pic great dude

Dignan

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0
I've been looking at bread trucks from which to take a 4bt. For the experts following this thread, what should I look for when I'm checking the trucks out?

obie

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac 4x4
Man, this is awesome. I was actually talking about this thread at work when a buddy told me I should swap a diesel into mine. Great work so far!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I've been looking at bread trucks from which to take a 4bt. For the experts following this thread, what should I look for when I'm checking the trucks out?

Dignan... Man haven't seen you in ages!!

Don't have an answer for ya, but it's good to see you back:D

Sedition

Engine Repair Guy
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Geelong, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT SOHC
looks interesting

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Im in Florida right now at Disney. I should be back at it soon.

Id much rather be home working on this then stuck here with all these kids.

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
Mmmm Cummins. I saw a Cummins powered CJ the other day and got me thinking. If this 4.0 BII swap blows up on me a turbo diesel would be nice.

Dignan

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0
Dignan... Man haven't seen you in ages!!

Don't have an answer for ya, but it's good to see you back:D

It is good to be back. I love this forum and am always reading stuff, but haven't posted in a while. I haven't been on a Trail Run in a long time either. With the Explorer down, it might be a while. I'm thinking of a Moab run next fall, if I can't get the Explorer going by then, I'll just have to take the Powerstroke and hope its not too big to fit on the trails I run.