Engine swap "Cummin" soon | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap "Cummin" soon

The time has come for another engine swap in my '95 4 door 4x4.

The previous swap (SOHC/EEC-IV) isnt having problems, but the gas mileage is poor (15 MPG average over the past year).

Here's the patient (95 4 door 4x4):

DSCF1759.jpg

And its soon to be replaced heart ('01 SOHC):

DSCF1742.jpg

So, you may be saying to yourself, "oh boy, another 5.0l swap." The thought had crossed my mind. I have a 94 Cobra, that could use a bigger engine. Here's the 5.0 Cobra engine that could be used:

DSCF1752.jpg

But this is my daily driver and needs to get good mileage. I work 35 miles from home. Thats 70 miles a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year (2 weeks vacation) 17,500 miles a year just to get to work. Since I'm running the SOHC on the 95 EEC-IV computer, the higher compression requires me to run 93 octane.

Lets do some simple math:
20,000 miles
15 MPG
$3.75 a gallon (checked the price today on my way home)

Thats $5000 a year in fuel.

What can i swap in that makes power, get good mileage, and will last a few years you ask?

DSCF1750.jpg

Thats right folks.... Its a Cummins 4bt!
An 84K mile,
105 HP,
265 ft-lb
3.9l turbo diesel.

She's a little rusty and the turbos got some play, but for $1200... not bad.

DSCF1751.jpg

DSCF1749.jpg

It also came with a Neon SRT4 intercooler and an aftermarket header.

DSCF1744.jpg

She's clean inside!

DSCF1761.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:popcorn:AWESOME

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Started making my engine mount crossmember.

Top:
DSCF1826.jpg

Bottom:
DSCF1827.jpg

We need to update our archaic welding technology at work, but i'll make do with the stick welder:
DSCF1829.jpg

Its time for an overdue update. The hurricane last weekend set me back alittle but I made some good progress this weekend.

I ditched the motor mount crossmember idea. It was going to be in the way of the lower hose. I also changed from the liquid filled mounts to a stock dodge style mount (anchor #2469). Enough talking, check out the pics and ask questions if need be.

DSCF1853.jpg

I had to set the drivers side mount a little higher for power steering house clearance and the pass side mount a little lower for rad hose clearance.

DSCF1854.jpg

DSCF1855.jpg

The motor mount brackets are 1/2" plate (on the block), 3/8" plate (at the mount), and 1/4" plate (for the gussets). I feel pretty confident they wont bend or break.

DSCF1856.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

Im going to use the stock manifold for now. It looks like the header I got wont allow me to run A/C.

DSCF1858.jpg

DSCF1859.jpg

The trans lined up with the stock crossmember. I had to flip the mount around and grind the holes slightly. (The F series trans mount studs are a little closer then the RBV.)

DSCF1860.jpg

DSCF1861.jpg

Next step is to fit an oil pan in here. Shouldnt be too bad.

DSCF1862.jpg

Tons of clearance with the Powerstroke starter.

DSCF1866.jpg

I dont think steering shaft clearance will be an issue. :rolleyes:

DSCF1867.jpg

Neither will the hoses.
DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

I also countersunk the idler/fan/vacuum pump pulley bolts. It looks nicer and it will give me a tiny bit more room for an electric fan.

DSCF1850.jpg

DSCF1851.jpg

cant wait to see this thing fire up.

Oil pan cut, welded, and painted. Its painted inside and out with POR15 and top coated black outside.

DSCF1870-1.jpg

Yes its black. That just from the flash.

DSCF1874.jpg

DSCF1873.jpg

DSCF1872.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

Its been clearanced for the diff and the axle disconnect. Everything I added was 1/8" steel. All welding was done with our trusty stick welder ( I wish I could have gotten my hands on a TIG, but you make due with what you have.)

It holds 9 qts (about 10 with filter). Stock is 12 with the filter. So I'm down 2 qts in capacity, I'm not concerned. I'll make up for that when I get around to adding a bypass filter.

Thought for the future, mount the batteries behind the rear wheels to bring some of the weight off the front. You planning on setting it up to run WVO or anything like that?

Thought for the future, mount the batteries behind the rear wheels to bring some of the weight off the front. You planning on setting it up to run WVO or anything like that?

The idea is to cut out the floor behind the tires and build battery boxes into the floor. I havent even measured to see if its possible yet, thats why its still an idea, not a plan.

If I had some place to get WVO from I might. But Im shop foreman at a forklift repair shop. i have access to tons of waste oils. I do plan to mix filtered hydraulic and trans fluids with the diesel fuel down the road. I already have a marked drum for my use only. Its got about 10 gallons of "fuel" already. Just needs to be filtered.

I would actually think the waste oil should increase the durability of a VE pump engine as long as you keep it filtered well enough, not that it should be a problem anyways. I would think you should have plenty of room to make the battery boxes where you want though.

PM me if you need a hand with anything... This swap is way cool.

Anytime you want to stop by. I'm working on this at work in Perth Amboy. Its like 10 mins from EB. Ive been there every weekend, more or less. Not this weekend, Sat was the Diesel Truck Nats at Raceway Park. It was a long day and a ton of walking. I need a day off before work!

Do you have emissions testing in Jersey to worry about?

You should have room for 2 battery boxes if you remove the spare tire carrier. I fit 1 back there in the floor with the carrier still in there. Probably could have squeezed a double but it would have been tight.

You should have room for 2 battery boxes if you remove the spare tire carrier. I fit 1 back there in the floor with the carrier still in there. Probably could have squeezed a double but it would have been tight.

Thanks Al. The problem is, I'll be running a 32 and I want to try to keep a fullsize spare under it. I just havent even looked yet. havent had time.

Gives you a good reason to get a swing out tire carrier on the back.

Gives you a good reason to get a swing out tire carrier on the back.

I want this one to look like a street truck. Its a DD/ kid hauler. I already have 1 for offroad.

picture.php

picture.php

When you finish yours, do you want to put a cummins in my '91 explorer? I've been dreaming of this swap for years, but don't think I have the skills to tackle it myself.

You know.... I was just thinking that you might have to flip that exhaust manifold to clear the HVAC box. Your turbine might be getting a little close to it. IDK, something to think about the next time you are bored and have a tape measure handy.

Back