Engine swap, now electrical problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap, now electrical problems

ironTone

Reaction score
City, State
West Milford, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
My first post here. I just swapped an engine in my 97 explorer 4.0 SOHC with another SOHC engine. The reason why I swapped was that the timing chain was making loud rattles. Everything before the swap worked perfect, no codes or any electrical problems.Now since the swap if I try to start it up, the ignition goes on but the starter does not crank, although I hear click from the relays. I put a new starter and solenoid and nothing, I can start it from jumping the solenoid and the engine runs as normal. the other problems I have the speedo does not work, the 4 wheel drive does not work ( the 4WD lights blink on the dash as well as the o/d light) The trans seems like it does not shift while driving. The codes that I pulled were P1747,P0500, P0715, P0705, P0743, P0750, P0755, P0760, P0765, P0720 Any help or sugestions I would really be greatful!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any help out here?,anyone?

check all your fuses (with a meter...just looking at them is not good enough). For your starting problem, check your ground and battery connections along with the physical cables for "rot".

On your trans / 4wd... sounds like you don't have power going to the "TOD" relay and maybe elsewhere. Could be a fuse but you would see other issues like windows not working.

budwich,

If you swapped the engine and loom, then that may be the problem, since the looms differ slightly, although they are plug in compatible.

Duncan

This certainly sounds like it's missing a ground somewhere. I would want to find that before I did much else. At least check all grounds and connections. Did it have a ground between the engine and firewall? Did you re-install it?

How much of the wiring was changed? If it all worked before, hopefully none of the wiring was changed.

I did connect the grounds and rechecked, I also rechecked the plugs and connectors, I also cleaned all connector plugs with electronic spray cleaner. all my problems seem to be in the trans wiring, should I have also changed the wire loom with the swap? thanks for the help guys

What trans did you use, which trans harness did you use? The internal trans harness changed in 1999, it is very important to know which of all of those that you have.

The motor was out of a 2000 explorer, I did not change any wiring, the trans is the stock 97 trans.

I wish I had an answer for you but I do not. I asked the questions that typically find the problem. A lot of people do swaps and change a lot of the operating system, the harnesses etc. It seems that you made the swap correctly in concept.

Others on the forum may recognize the symptoms better and point to a cause. I think that it will come down to something in the installation of the wiring. Go back over everything extremely carefully. If you have any pictures then use those to verify that everything is back as it was. Regards,

Irontone,

I've swapped many 4.0 SOHC Explorer engines, including fitting a 2006 engine into a 1997 and, apart from a few minor issues, they all worked fine.

If you used your original wiring loom, then the trans shifting failure may be the clue to the problem, which may turn out to be no more than a blown fuse in the main fuse box under the hood. It provides the feed to the transmission shift solenoids. I think that this fuse also provides the feed to the heaters in the oxygen (lambda, HEGO) sensors, so a short in one of those may cause the fuse to blow.

Hope that this proves useful

Duncan

did you plug the trans wiring in? LOL
Did the trans harness get pinched between engine and trans?

When you put a 2000 SOHC into your 97 SOHC truck did you re-use all the 97 sensors, intakes, fuel rail, computer, etc?

the only thing you should have used from the 2000 SOHC is the block and heads....

Back