Engine Temp/RPM/ with Oil Filter Rel Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Temp/RPM/ with Oil Filter Rel Kit

mace

Reaction score
City, State
Mullica Hill, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer AWD 5.0
Installed oil filter relocation kit, and didnt notice at first, as I have a jumpy tach...but the RPM's are lower. Engine noticebly running cooler per the temp gage also / maybe 20 deg cooler. In Idle, when hot, down 100rpm, and pretty much down 100-200rpm through most speeds. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Real oil press gauge in normal ranges, avg 50 psi.., OEM oil switch gage in the middle, engine sounds good, no engine lights on. Is the engine just running easier, or is is struggling? used 5w30 Mobil syn, truck has 78k. Air temp 50..

Very concerned; should I be worried?

:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the engine rpm normally drops when the vehicle is warmed up.. it has a sensor to speed up the idle when its cold

re:

Yes, I agree, and whats happening here is the opposite, and that's why it is so strange. Maybe i should disconnect the battery and reset the computer, and hope that helps. I'm kinda stumped about this one.

how is it opposite? you say its lower rpms when its warm, that would be normal... when cold the vehicle makes the rpms higher.....

re:

It seems the oil filter relo has done 2 things. cooled the engine, and for some reason, the rpm's are lower, when warmed up. I am with you on he rpm's, if the engine is cooler, the rpm's would be higher, as the computer would try to get it to normal temp. But it aint, the rpm's are lower. If it was oil starvation, i would think the engine might run hotter, make noise, or the pressure would be through the roof, or in the mud, engine lights on, etc......but the only 2 things that changed, are the engine temp (maybe 20 degrees.., and the rpm's have dropped somewhat..i'm with ya dude, its a wierd one..its not reaching normal temp, but it aint idling higher either

the ford guages suck and those will never get to normal temp... the truck is fine and you are worrying over nothing.....

Back