Engine won't start.. changed battery and started | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine won't start.. changed battery and started

scottbaigrie2001

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 sport
A few weeks ago I had trouble starting my 97 Explorer. I turned the key, heard the rapid clicking, but then it started. The next day, same thing happened, but it didn't start that time. I got a jump and made it home. I bought a new battery and everything was fine. Then the same thing happened a couple days ago. Engine clicks but wouldn't start. I thought it was the starter, so I replaced the starter. after feeling good about changing my first starter, It turns out that wasn't the problem.

I can jump start it and it and I can drive it, but as soon as I turn it off, wait 5 seconds, and go to turn it back on, I get no or very little power... the dash light don't even come on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would the car still run with a bad alternator?

Hello, I am new here and I am also having the same problem. I had the battery checked and it seems to be fine. I had it jumped and it runs fine, everything is ok, but when I try to start it normally there is just a rapid clicking noise. I don't know if this will help, but also whenever I turn the key to ON for the radio and such but not trying to crank it, all the dials on the dash go to the extreme right as far as they will go, then reset down to 0 normally. Any help is much appreciated!

Short answer is yes, the question is how far can you drive it in an emergency, or break down scenario.

I had a 5.0 T-bird and something broke in the guage cluster, pulled the cluster out and drove around all morning on my way to the only place in town with the part i needed, the car died on me. Turns out the guage cluster plays a role in the charging system on that car so i drove using the stored energy of the battery, when that was gone the car gave up.

alternator may need to be replaced, or any of the wiring associated with the charging system could be the problem.

Have the alternator tested. find somebody that can do it for free.

in some situations yes.

one easy way to see, is start the car, and turn every electrical accessory on, rear window defroster, headlights, ac, etc, and see what the voltage is. is it over 13.5v? with a volt meter.

Engine won't start... changed battery and starter

I tried several fixes:

- Cleaned battery terminal connections and terminals on Cable
- Bought a new battery
- Replaced the starter
- Replaced the Altenator

None of it worked. I finally fixed the problem by cutting off about 3" from the negative battery cable and attaching a new terminal I bought from Walmart for $1.56. That fixed the problem. So I didn't have to spend $400+ for a $1.56 problem. Sad part is the wife told me to do that first and I didn't listen...

Hope this helps.

Back