CHESHIRE
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
When cold starts up with a big roar then dies down gives a couple of
Coughs and farts and sometime stalls. This happens a few times then
When you get going performs normally.
I have seen a guy on E-Bay that cures this along with a timing chain fault
For £250. I have no timing chain rattles what so ever. I was told that the
Timing chains were done to the service fix by the previous owner.
The mileage is now 53000 only. Any ideas please what the problem
Could be ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

inlet gaskets most likely...part of the famous oom12 kit ,
look that up and u should know whats involved

I had lpg fitted could this have disturbed the inlet manifold
the previous owner assured me the service fix you mentioned had been carried out. Is there a way of finding a leak at the manifold on the explorer

If it was a multi-point system then they would have removed the lower inlet manifold in order to install the gas injectors. So yes they would have disturbed it. Check for other vacuum leaks as well, it might be something simple like a pipe has come off.

Thanks for your reply
The gas system is one of the latest Sequential multipoint systems and boy is there a lot of pipes and wires i will have a poke round

I agree with Rich and Howard regarding a possible inlet manifold leak, although this usually affects the idling. It should not be anything to do with the gas system as when starting from cold you should be on petrol (should also be briefly on petrol when starting from hot). I left off one of my vacuum pipes once when I took off the manifold - it did the same when starting as yours, but also ran like a pig the rest of the time and would not idle properly at all.

Back