Ever seen a coolant leak from here? Pic included. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ever seen a coolant leak from here? Pic included.

KC10Chief

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V8
My 91 Explorer has sprung yet another coolant leak. I replaced the water pump, both radiator hoses and both heater hoses. Now, I noticed this leak tonight. It looks like it's coming from the radiator. This is right underneath the radiator on the passenger side. I thought that this was just a post for mounting the radiator, not a drain. I can't tell if it's coming from inside or outside this post. This is not the petcock drain for the radiator. It's right in front of that though. Petcock looks nice and dry. If the radiator is leaking, it must be underneath. Everything above the base looks dry. It's not a very fast leak, but I can smell it when I stop and park somewhere. I'm pretty sure it's the radiator. Just curious if anybody else has ever seen it leak in this spot? Thanks.

photo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be the plastic tank to core crimp is leaking. That seems to be the most common leak. The next common would be a cracked tank itself.

Either one is fixed by replacing the radiator..

~Mark

Do you believe in stop-leak? Always turned up my nose at the idea, myself. But, I have heard that manufacturers of vehicles routinely include a stop-leak material in the original coolant fill, from the factory, to cover those itty-bitty seeps that cause warranty claims later........

The kind of seeps you smell, but can't find.......

Just my 2 cents. FWIW. imp

I know some people that swear by adding some pellet into the cooling system when they build a motor etc. I personally don't use it. I actually keep some in the X only for emergencies.

I've never had to use it. Each time I have had a leak its been a big leak. I've ripped off the lower radiator hose when wheeling and I've leaked coolant out of the hose connection on the top of the intake manifold. Neither would have been helped by stop leak.

~Mark

Yeah it looks like it's coming down from the crimp... I would not use stop leak on a rad. It's not worth the risk of clogging things. A rad won't cost you that much. I'd only use stop leak on a car when its a head gasket where its either scrap the car or try it.

Thanks for the advice! It does appear to be coming from the crimp. I've never had to use stop leak on anything before. So, I don't want to start now. A new radiator is $130. I've gotta install a new power steering pump as well. I'm going to swing by O'Reilly's tomorrow and pick that stuff up. I also need to replace my water pump gasket for the 3rd freakin time. I can't seem to keep it from leaking. If it leaks again, I'm using the stop leak.

I also need to replace my water pump gasket for the 3rd freakin time. I can't seem to keep it from leaking. If it leaks again, I'm using the stop leak.

Try a nice bead of RTV on both sides of the gasket. Make sure you do a full circle around each bolt hole. Don't worry if it oozes out as you bolt it in.

Try a nice bead of RTV on both sides of the gasket. Make sure you do a full circle around each bolt hole. Don't worry if it oozes out as you bolt it in.

I did that both times. Still leaks. Ugh. I've never had this much issue with a water pump before. Anyways, this time, I'm going to apply a nice, thick bead of RTV, finger tighten all of the bolts, and let it dry for an hour. Then, I'll tighten it down the rest of the way with my socket wrench. Then, I'll let it sit for 24 hours before I fill it with coolant. If that doesn't work, I'm going to throw tools and yell curse words at it, maybe kick a tire and generally just piss and moan like a bumbling fool. Then, I'll just use the stop leak.

Back