• Register Today It's free!

EXHAUST - I want it loud

zach.stov

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
I have a 2005 4.0 XLT and I'm looking at different mufflers to install. I like the deep, throaty v8 sound. Interior noise is no problem. I don't do much highway driving so the louder the better. Any suggestions on cat/muffler configurations that I could get done at my local muffler shops for pretty cheap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, Thank you.. I think Flowmaster 40's are what I'm going with. Any difference between the originals 40's and the super 40's? Also, my truck is currently in the shop or I would look myself but what is the IN/OUT muffler configuration on 2005 4.0 XLTs?

Center to Offset if youre going to order the muffler

Edit: If all your doing is a direct replacement

It's 2.25" in 2.5" out. Part number 42411 is what I bought. Original 40 series and its loud

i say go out and buy a v8 for a v8 sound. a v6 never sounds the same but if you want to sort of 'replicate' it try a super 44. ive got em on my mustang with longtubes no cats and they sound sexay!

straight pipes, 2.25 inches with 3 inch tips. ran straight from the cats. but if you do that, i wouldnt take out the cats, you will lose low end power. no, i have the straight pipes, and let me tell you, they are not quiet, and it sounds better than some v8 systems. heres a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz-UMMbVDOg

this truck sounds MEAN! its the 4.0 SOHC

Cut it off at the headers

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters and they are 2 1/2 inch tips and i love how it sounds on my 01 sport.

I was on a budget when i did mine, i just did a single 40 and love the way it sounds (mine is a v8 tho) hopefully next month will be redoing the whole thing and doing dual 40's

I have a 2005 4.0 XLT and I'm looking at different mufflers to install. I like the deep, throaty v8 sound.

If you want the deep V8 sound then you need to get a V8. Every single time I have ever heard a loud V6 exhaust it sounded ricey as all hell. I only remember ever hearing a few 6 cylinder exhausts that sounded good while loud and those were an R34 Skyline while in Japan and a Nissan 350Z while stationed in Bahrain. The only reason those sounded good was because you could hear the turbo on the Skyline and the Nissan VQ35 engine likes to rev a little higher than most V6's so it can put out a bit more scream and less buzz. I hope you find what you are looking for and end up being happy with it. :thumbsup:

Any newer input since 2012 to a nice exhaust replacement?
Great sound, quiet at highway, better mileage???

Have heard Flowmaster is the way to go, if you like loud. I have a custom install Magnaflow, very nice sound.

If you want a little louder than stock but manageable on the highway go with Magnaflow, or if you want to spend a little less go with Gibson.

I switched mine back to a quiet muffler, but I had it loud for a long time. If it's a 4.0 it'll never sound like a v8, but the best sound I was able to get was with a thrush welded stainless muffler right after the cat flange with no pipe after. It seems that the longer the pipe is after the muffler. the higher the pitch is of the exhaust tone which is why I had it so short. The thrush is pretty much the same as a flowmaster 40.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back