Exhaust Leak/Water | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Leak/Water

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
Ok this is pretty much a general repair question, I hope I posted it in the right section of the forums... so the leak is at the 2nd Cat in the exhaust near the back... The Cat has like a metal shield circled around it. There is a hole in the Cat and the shield, I know this because when u run the engine, and then get out, you can see all the water on the ground and I looked up and saw a hole in the shield under the cat.

Now, this has me a bit worried for a couple reasons... Can I just use JB weld and close the hole? I also remember seeing inside a cat, its filled with a bunch of beads that filter the exhaust, if there is a hole in the cat, would all the beads have poored out making the Cat useless? I read up that some cars actually have drain holes in the exhaust to prevent lots of water from staying in the exhaust, I hope this is what the leak is, but I cant find any information about a drain hole in the exhaust for explorers.

Also, about the water... the exhaust shoots out a fair amount of water from the tail pipe and from the hole in the cat... What might be causing this water? I was thinking condensation, but it does it in any weather... any ideas? Any comments would be very appreciated, thanks!

Just replace the cat. I got a Magnaflow direct replacement off of Ebay for $150 shipped. Put it on Tuesday actually.

Does the hole look like it was drilled into the cat on purpose, or does it look like the cat is rusted through? If it looks like the hole is was drilled into the cat, its because it is supposed to be there. It is called a weep hole and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do (drain condensation from the exhaust). Condensation (water) forming in the exhaust is normal, especially in high humidity areas. If it were mine I would leave it alone and let it do its job.

Right, well it has the metal shield covering the cat so I can't tell if the cat rusted out or whatever, I'm planning on taking off the shield tommorow to check. I read up on sometimes they have holes for letting out the condensation. Just wondering if a hole would be put in the cat (for the simple reason the Cat would be filled with beads and stuff that would just fall out) and I have to get the emissions tested so I doubt they will do the test will a hole in the exhaust? Thanks for the respones tho, I'll look more into it tommorow.

Back