Exhaust system for V6? Keeping sound stock? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust system for V6? Keeping sound stock?

Calling out all the troops on this one.

It seems the one thing holding me back from upgrading to a nice cat back system is the noise. Running one on a 4.0 would sound too much like a rice burner, as such, I dont want to touch it without input.

Who here runs a cat back on the V6? I want to make this as free flowing as possible, but dont want the sound level above stock.

Is there any way to accomplish this feat?

Everyone's comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

E

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive, I have a lot of respect for you and what you have done to your X to get the numbers you have gotten. But you seem to have taken offense to me, and what I have done with MY Explorers.....What I have done works. And works well.

Ryan

No way my friend, I am just curious to see the data. You have the most powerful OHV I have yet to see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ryan, I'd like to know what that muffler is which is relatively quiet. I don't think that they are all the same, but as a general rule the manufacturers build the straight through mufflers the same way. That ends up being louder most all of the time, compared to stock or traditional chambered mufflers.

Mufflers are not complicated(generally), but they make it sound like it is. Every new muffler made is the highest flowing which has ever existed, and it is not too loud, "slightly louder than stock."

The makers are blowing smoke, they have forever regarding certain parts like mufflers. That is what makes it hard to discover the real truths of sound, quality, flow etc. We here are the best source of the real results. We need to help each other to find what are after. The hard part is that everybody wants a different sound etc.

Do you know what that muffler was/is, maybe it is what many others are looking for? I just committed to buying the SDT 55770 muffler, and a 2.5" resonator. I've got a lot to do soon, so it all could take a while. I'll let you know if the cost was worth it. Regards,

Well a lot of people I talked to, and the stuff i read, point to Gibson being the "quiet" one of the bunch.

With that being said, it all comes down to your specific vehicle, and actually putting one on and trying it out. People can say it sounds this way or that way, and you can hear sound clips on Gibson's website by the way, but the point is when one of these gets on your X, will it sound like what others say?

I wont being doing this until spring '08, so I have time to get everyone's opinion covering a whole bunch of brands.

As always thanks for input. As someone said, this is the best way to get the real information about all these products.

P.S. Gibson at this point seems the way to go for quiet operation that people want in the 4.0.

I have posted NUMEROUS times that I have a 3" catback on 1 of my Explorers...The other X has 2.5" cat back...

I lost 0 low end.....Everything from the K&N Air filter to the 2nd cat is stock...

It sounds AWESOME!

aldive, I have a lot of respect for you and what you have done to your X to get the numbers you have gotten. But you seem to have taken offense to me, and what I have done with MY Explorers.....What I have done works. And works well.

Ryan

I agree the 3" on a sohc with bolt on's is ok.
Well a lot of people I talked to, and the stuff i read, point to Gibson being the "quiet" one of the bunch.

With that being said, it all comes down to your specific vehicle, and actually putting one on and trying it out. People can say it sounds this way or that way, and you can hear sound clips on Gibson's website by the way, but the point is when one of these gets on your X, will it sound like what others say?

I wont being doing this until spring '08, so I have time to get everyone's opinion covering a whole bunch of brands.

As always thanks for input. As someone said, this is the best way to get the real information about all these products.

P.S. Gibson at this point seems the way to go for quiet operation that people want in the 4.0.

Gibson is definately going to be the quietest. If you are looking at only a muffler find the largest you can put under the truck. More surface area is definately better for muffling.

Ditto, and the SDT muffler that showed up today is relatively long and narrow. That's good because I plan on using two of them under my 98 later.

Hey jah81952, I'm starting to think that I may like the Gibson cat back system. I noticed that your website doesn't carry it for my 4.0L ST. The one that fits mine has a note that warns that it may not work with "some trailer hitches". They don't say which ones and how do I find out if my hitch is one of them? :confused:

Hey jah81952, I'm starting to think that I may like the Gibson cat back system. I noticed that your website doesn't carry it for my 4.0L ST. The one that fits mine has a note that warns that it may not work with "some trailer hitches". They don't say which ones and how do I find out if my hitch is one of them? :confused:
I will check on it for you!-j
Actually I don't have it on my website but they do offer a kit in stainless and mild steel. If you want to purchase then I can send you a link or I will add in the future. My website is under construction. Thanks for your patience-J

I have a funeral to go to in SD for a few days, just to do something today I went to do my muffler for my SOHC.

This is how I described it on EX.com.
"I got my Edelbrock SDT muffler and resonator on today. It is quieter then most aftermarket mufflers, but still louder than stock. It has very little of the higher pitched stock V6 buzzing sound, the part throttle is much deeper, much better than the V6 stock sound. No throttle is almost quiet, WOT is not too loud, the part throttle is noticeably louder than stock. Over all everyone else who likes mild exhaust would like it, for sneaking around no aftermarket muffler does that. My customers will hear me when on the throttle."

It may be great for a V8 or many others, I've never heard a muffler that is quiet and still a good flowing muffler. No one wants to make one.

MagnaFlow 2.25" dual in/2.5" single out, mandrel bent w/ cats in place. No drone, no rice, no rasp, nice and throaty when you get on the noise pedal.

Back