How will a V6 4.0 X Sound with a mod. Exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How will a V6 4.0 X Sound with a mod. Exhaust

I have been thinking of upgrading my exhaust. But I only want a very small sounding low muffle sound. I have not heard a V6 with either straight pipes or a Borla Exhaust. I dont want anthing that will sound like an import car or a big V8 sound. I want a sound that is like a factory 5.0 mustang. Is this possible with the V6 I have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd try a larger size 2.5" in/out Magnaflow muffler, 2.5" resonator, and 2.5" tailpipe.

you can get it to sound good, but im sorry to say it will never sound like a 5.0 mustang. you may get it close at idle, but you just cant make a V6 sound like a V8 no matter what you do. with that said-

ive heard a 4.0 OHV with a 50 series flowmaster, and it sounded really good. fairly mellow, and sounded somewhat like a stock V8 at idle.

Jeff, that link doesnt work for some reason.

Dead Link Removed are a bunch of vids of my truck and some of Spas' truck. Both have the SOHC with a flowmaster 50. Her's is a single out and mine is dual out.

If you want something quieter you might want to think about a flowmaster 70 series.

I copied my post from another thread, it might get more attention here....
Ok, rather than start another "exhaust advice" thread, i figure i'll add a bit to this....
Ok, I think I have ruled out going for a dual exhuast, split at the muffler. My reasoning is: a dual split at the muffler gives you no appreciable power gains, just looks. And then that extra piping is just more weight to haul around. So....single exit exhaust it is....
(Is that assumption correct??)
Now, for my real question....should i have the exhaust exit at the rear, in the stock location, but parallel to the ground OR, have it exit just in front of the passenger's side rear wheel, side pipe style? I dont want to look like I am pretending to have something i dont (a fast truck), I just want to avoid a somewhat "unbalanced" look to the truck, like "where'd his other pipe go?"
Sorry for the long post....

You might want to check your state's laws about exit points. Some states require that the exhaust NOT exit in front of the rear wheel. I'd have it exit out the rear personally.

Good point about the laws, hadn't even thought of that...
I think I am leaning towards just having it exit out the back

Thanks for all your info guys, I will be going for the new exhaust soon.

Back