Exhaust Tip

Kazer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Excursion PSD
ive got a 4.0 SOHC and ive searched the forums here and im looking for an exhaust tip to give it a nicer sound that i can throw on for a relatively cheap price. i just wanna pick up somethin at autozone or advanced auto parts. any suggestions or reccomendations?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive got a 4.0 SOHC and ive searched the forums here and im looking for an exhaust tip to give it a nicer sound that i can throw on for a relatively cheap price. i just wanna pick up somethin at autozone or advanced auto parts. any suggestions or reccomendations?

thanks

Exhaust tips are purely cosmetic. If you want to change the sound, you need a new muffler.

ah. alright. so would i be better buyin a magnablow or a blowmaster, or could i just do a straight pipe or something. im not excatly the smartest when it comes to exhaust

magnaflow* flowmaster*

no member i can assure you, will advise a straight pipe... sound is terrible, and theres no real gains, other than gaining unwanted attention lol...

my suggestion, would be go on youtube, and search " explorer exhaust " and find a particular flowmaster or magnaflow or cherrybomb muffler that you like. then go to your local exhaust shop, and have it installed...

im going to list the ( SIMPLE SET UP CATBACK EXHAUST ) for you...

1. remove factory resonater.
2. run 2.5'' pipe from the end of the ( Y-PIPE ) to the muffler.
3. choose whatever muffler you want to install
4. run 2.5'' pipe from the muffler.
5. run the pipe over or under the rear axle ( your choice )...
6. choose your tip of choice, and exit angle ( 45 degree exit or straight out like factory )

*** now i will list the pro's and con's, that i have discovered with this set up

PRO's - 1. increased MPG / 2. increase 5 to 15 HP/TQ ( pending vehicle ) / 3. better towing ability

- in regaurds to increased MPG's just from my experience, i gained about 35 to 40 miles to every tank of gas, so the money you put out will pay itself off in gas over a relatively short amonut of time... I had a K&N INTAKE, and CUSTOM CATBACK EXHAUST to validate the mileage increase for your info...

CON's - 1. loss of low end TQ... but in a sense isnt really lost, but more so moved into the higher RPM's

*** now you may wonder what this might cost you ???

- exhaust shops can vary in price like the weather, but most custom CBE's can be hooked up for as low as 250$, and up to as high as 500$... it depends on what muffler you buy, and how much the shop is going to charge you...

thats the set up i ran on my RED 03 XLS, and what i plan on doing for my new 05 Silver XLT...

hope this helps ya fella !

I'd also like to add an exhaust tip because I'm sick of seeing that rusty pipe. But looking closer, it seems I've already got a tip welded on there by (presumably) the previous owner and I don't feel like cutting. What do you guys think about slipping a tip over an existing tip?

The one that is on there now has a 2.5" outlet and tapers down to a smaller inlet (probably 2.25"). The stock tailpipe is 2". I'm thinking of sliding on a bolt-on tip with a 2.5" - 2.75" inlet and 3" outlet. I figure the cone shape of the existing tip should keep the new one from sliding off easily. Any thoughts?

Back