Exhaust tone question

Norad

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Edgecomb Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a '99 5.0 with a dynomax cat back kit and was wondering if anyone could tell me why the longer I drive the louder/ more aggressive the exaust tone gets? The most agressive tone usually occurs between 1600-2000rpms. When I am driving around town, from start up to 30 min, the tone is very mellow. But if I have been driving for over an hour it seems when the motor gets back into that rpm range then the tone is louder. I have noticed this recently, but I have been making 6 hour trips from Maine to Ct more frequently over the past month. Are my three options:
1) deal with it and turn the radio up
2) install sound proofing material in the cab, any suggestions
3) install sound proofing marerial aroun the exhaust, is this possible
And also will after market headers such as Torque monsters change the exhaust tone at all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Norad said:
I have a '99 5.0 with a dynomax cat back kit and was wondering if anyone could tell me why the longer I drive the louder/ more aggressive the exaust tone gets?

And also will after market headers such as Torque monsters change the exhaust tone at all?

Thermal Expansion. :p

Adding headers will probably make it louder, but I'm just speculating. ;)

I have tried several things to deaden the exhaust drone
1) try a layer of dynamat or equivalent under rear seat floor carpet
2) lots of undercoating, especially above muffler
3) fabricate a piece of sheetmetal to attach to underside of body above muffler, but leave a air gap between shield and muffler, shield and body
4) in rear hatch area , pull up plastic carpet edge piece, spray MINIMAL expansion tuff- stuff foam in the little holes to fill in the space

these all together will help a bit. I still find, like you, that at first lovable sound is hard to live with.

even with a louder stereo I still hear it, And that even is more upsetting, because now I want audiophile quality, and still get an off key bass note that I sometimes try to keep in tune with gas pedal :D

Hi,
What is your pipe diameter and muffler type, I know its a Dynomax, but is it a SuperTurbo, a MaxFlo or an UltraFlo? I'm in the same situation with my 1998 5.0 Explorer.
Please reply
Thanks
Keith

I will take a look at the diameter but I think, 99%, that it is a 2.5 pipe with a super turbo muffler. If it gets to loud then I will look into one of the flowmaster hushpower II mufflers

look into edead sound deadner. Made for audio systems, would also work great for this. Deaden the floor in the rear and it should help some. you have a 5.0, be happy! I wish I could get the sound of a 5.0 out of my 4.0!

I have the Flowmaster Force II catback on my 5.0 and I am quite pleased with it. It is quiet around town and on the highway, but sounds mean when pushing it. I recommend the Flowmaster Big Block muffler is you decide to get a new muffler. However, another option to quiet the exhaust would be to take your X to a muffler shop and have them weld in a resonator.

I haven't done any road trips with my 5.0 yet, but in the week I've had my Flo-Pro exhaust in, I sometimes forget I have aftermarket. It's been fairly quiet. Just a little resonation at certain revs, but way quieter than my 4.0 SOHC and SUV Series 50. I tell you, I tried all sorts of things to quieten that one in the cab. I did the sound deadener thing big time and never helped. Consider an aftermarket resonator. That was the only thing that worked for me. I highly doubt I'll need that with my 5.0 and Flo Pro. I'm sort of relieved I didn't get the Dynomax. I have read other reports of resonance at highway speeds. Ironically, my muffler shop told me that the Flo-Pro would be louder, but so far it's been great.

Back