Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 54 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

A bead of black silicone under the black flexible moldings on the side of the windshield stops this issue. Also, if that is not to your pleasure, a strip of black electrical tape placed down the molding and barely onto the windshield is also an almost invisible fix (seriously, try it and see). Shouldn't have to do it, but better than (a) constant irritation and (b) financial losses due to a quick trade of an otherwise good vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife and i have taken our 2011 Explorer to the dealer 3 times for the windshield buzzing sound. They replaced the clips and whatever else the first 2 trips, and on the third trip said that they can not fix it. We bought it used 10 months ago with 34,000 miles on it. Now i know why the owner before us got another vehicle. We are considering trading it in for something else. I like the new Fords but if it this much of a problem we can go somewhere else.
Another member thought he had the 'A' pillar noise and it turned out to be the cowl the runs along the lower part of the windshield. You can try taping that down and see if the noise disappears. If it does then the cowl should be replaced. If not, then you can try the suggestion that scottfmc posted.
Good luck.

Peter

I had what I thought was the A-Pillar rattle/tapping noise, not buzz (passenger side only) in my 2012. My garage performed the TSB....no change. Tried a ton of other things. Finally, out of sheer chance, they think they found it (I have not had a long road trip yet). Under the hood, waaay at the back by the base of the A pillar is a horizontal plastic shield about the size of your hand. It was occasionally fluttering at high speeds and from the inside of the vehicle it SOUNDED like it was coming from the lower part of the A-Pillar. If you have somebody sit inside while you tap on or move it around, you might find that is the cause. It can be better secured a number of ways. My garage said this fixed another Ex with the same problem. Good luck.

Hi Badger,

I just bought a second hand 2012 Explorer which was built around Oct 2011. After driving a couple of times on the highway with wind blowing in different directions, I did notice a rattling noise at the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger side. It is not a wind whistling noise, it is definitely a rattling noise.

I opened the hood and I think I saw the piece of plastic you are talking about. It does move sideways quite a bit and also up and down. If this thing was to vibrate on the highway (from wind flowing under the hood I guess or negative pressure generated at the base of the windshield), it could be the cause of the noise I am hearing.

Could you tell me how this piece was secured in your vehicle?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Badger,

I just bought a second hand 2012 Explorer which was built around Oct 2011. After driving a couple of times on the highway with wind blowing in different directions, I did notice a rattling noise at the bottom of the A pillar on the passenger side. It is not a wind whistling noise, it is definitely a rattling noise.

I opened the hood and I think I saw the piece of plastic you are talking about. It does move sideways quite a bit and also up and down. If this thing was to vibrate on the highway (from wind flowing under the hood I guess or negative pressure generated at the base of the windshield), it could be the cause of the noise I am hearing.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Even though you seem to be a DIY kind of guy, you should also consider swinging by your dealership so they can inspect your vehicle. I also want to offer my assistance in escalating your case to your regional customer service manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your info in the hands of your CSM and make sure you're contacted promptly.

Crystal

Hi Badger,

Thanks,
Daniel

I talked to my service manager, and here is what he told me "We used foam insulation strips to eliminate the contact areas and two-way tape to hold things in place."

I'm going for a long drive this weekend for the first time since they fixed it, so I will see if the fix is "the fix". But it makes sense. In my case, it was not the buzz that others have reported...definate rattle/knocking that sounds like it came from the botom of the A-Pillar. I'll report back if the fix is good.

I talked to my service manager, and here is what he told me "We used foam insulation strips to eliminate the contact areas and two-way tape to hold things in place."

I'm going for a long drive this weekend for the first time since they fixed it, so I will see if the fix is "the fix". But it makes sense. In my case, it was not the buzz that others have reported...definate rattle/knocking that sounds like it came from the botom of the A-Pillar. I'll report back if the fix is good.

Thanks for the update, Badger13! Definitely check-in with me and let me know how the long drive goes; if you need anything you know where to find me.

Crystal

Thanks for the update, Badger13! Definitely check-in with me and let me know how the long drive goes; if you need anything you know where to find me.

Crystal

Well, it didn't work. First drive up the interstate and it rattled just like before. The local Ford garage has worked on it at least 4 times now and though they have tried really hard, can't seem to isolate the problem. Ford Customer service just called me, and basically told me tough luck, they weren't going to get involved and that I needed to keep going around to different Ford dealerships until I found somebody who could actually fix it. I'm thinking of looking for a lawyer....

Well, it didn't work. First drive up the interstate and it rattled just like before. The local Ford garage has worked on it at least 4 times now and though they have tried really hard, can't seem to isolate the problem. Ford Customer service just called me, and basically told me tough luck, they weren't going to get involved and that I needed to keep going around to different Ford dealerships until I found somebody who could actually fix it. I'm thinking of looking for a lawyer....
Have you or your dealer had a look at the cowl that runs along the bottom of the window? Another member thought his noise was the 'A' pillar but turned out it was the pastic cowl that runs the length of the bottom of windshield. You could try taping that down and see if the noise disappears.

Peter

A-Pillar trim fails off for the 4th time

Hello all,

I was wondering if any else had the same issue I have been having. We had A-Pillar noise on our 2011 Limited, like a lot of you had. So the dealer performed the TSB to address the noise. It worked great, but the A-pillar trim piece keeps falling off the truck. We have been lucky that out of the 4 times it only hit another car once. All 4 times it has damaged paint or plastic on our truck, but luckily no one has been hurt. Anyone else experience this issue and is this something that could be considered for the lemon law in NY?

Thanks

Joe

IMG_1169.JPG

:wavey:
Hello all,

I was wondering if any else had the same issue I have been having. We had A-Pillar noise on our 2011 Limited, like a lot of you had. So the dealer performed the TSB to address the noise. It worked great, but the A-pillar trim piece keeps falling off the truck. We have been lucky that out of the 4 times it only hit another car once. All 4 times it has damaged paint or plastic on our truck, but luckily no one has been hurt. Anyone else experience this issue and is this something that could be considered for the lemon law in NY?

Thanks

Joe
Hi Joe and welcome to the Forum.
There have been a few others that have had the tim come off after the repair but I think you hold the record. When they have carried out this repair are they changing the clips as well? This was an issue early on because some of the plastic clips were breaking when the trim was removed initially and they didn't replace them with new ones. If they are installing new clips I don't see why you keep having the trim come off unless you are traveling at mach 1 speed.;)
Good luck and season's greetings. All t he best to you and yours. Maybe Santa will bring a new trim piece for you c/w clips.:thumbsup:

Peter

When i had the tsb done on my explorer my dealer changed the whole set the moulding and the fixed one with the screws, i think like peter said they are not replace the whole set.go to smith cairns ford in yonkers and ask for mike the service tech he is awesome dude and very very picky when doing repairs !!!

Wow seems like a liability issue there if that come off and strikes another vehicle causing a secondary "incident". Have you contacted Crystal one of our Ford Customer Service people on the board?

Hello all,

I was wondering if any else had the same issue I have been having. We had A-Pillar noise on our 2011 Limited, like a lot of you had. So the dealer performed the TSB to address the noise. It worked great, but the A-pillar trim piece keeps falling off the truck. We have been lucky that out of the 4 times it only hit another car once. All 4 times it has damaged paint or plastic on our truck, but luckily no one has been hurt...

Hi jl27,

I want to step in here and get your case escalated to your region's customer service manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

:wavey:Hi Joe and welcome to the Forum.
There have been a few others that have had the tim come off after the repair but I think you hold the record. When they have carried out this repair are they changing the clips as well? This was an issue early on because some of the plastic clips were breaking when the trim was removed initially and they didn't replace them with new ones. If they are installing new clips I don't see why you keep having the trim come off unless you are traveling at mach 1 speed.;)
Good luck and season's greetings. All t he best to you and yours. Maybe Santa will bring a new trim piece for you c/w clips.:thumbsup:

Peter

When i had the tsb done on my explorer my dealer changed the whole set the moulding and the fixed one with the screws, i think like peter said they are not replace the whole set.go to smith cairns ford in yonkers and ask for mike the service tech he is awesome dude and very very picky when doing repairs !!!

Wow seems like a liability issue there if that come off and strikes another vehicle causing a secondary "incident". Have you contacted Crystal one of our Ford Customer Service people on the board?

Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions, gang!

Crystal

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I sent Crystal a PM.

The truck is currently sitting in my driveway as my wife doesn't want to drive it because she is worried the other A-pillar trim piece will fly off and hurt someone. We have been lucky to avoid anyone getting hurt when it has flown off the past couple of times, but I think we are running out of luck with this truck.

So we will wait as see what happens.

Thanks again

Joe

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I sent Crystal a PM.

The truck is currently sitting in my driveway as my wife doesn't want to drive it because she is worried the other A-pillar trim piece will fly off and hurt someone. We have been lucky to avoid anyone getting hurt when it has flown off the past couple of times, but I think we are running out of luck with this truck.

So we will wait as see what happens.

Thanks again

Joe

Hi Joe,

Just a heads up: I responded to your PM. Keep me posted on how things go; I'm always happy to look into ways I can help.

Crystal

We have this rattle issue as well....What is the definative answer for the fix?
Thanks.

Thanks.
I would begin with taking it to the dealer and have them perform the TSB that exists for this problem.

TSB 12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011.

It would also be helpful for the members here if you showed which model and year Explorer you have in the left hand margin. It would help in answering any future issues you may have since some answers are model specific.
Happy New Year!

Peter

Thanks.

Hi milliganus,

A good first step is stopping by your dealership so that they can take a look. I can also help out by getting your case escalated to your regional customer service manager; they'll work in tandem with your dealer to ensure that this gets addressed. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

I would begin with taking it to the dealer and have them perform the TSB that exists for this problem.

TSB 12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011.

It would also be helpful for the members here if you showed which model and year Explorer you have in the left hand margin. It would help in answering any future issues you may have since some answers are model specific.
Happy New Year!

Peter

Great info, Peter. Thanks!

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Car 54. I see that Autumn will be calling you before the end of the day as well.

Scott & Bruce,

I can lend a hand by sending this info to the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can do that, send a PM with your contact info, mileage, VIN, and dealer name/state.

Cory

I have a rattling sound from my right passenger side (not sure from rear or front) and the rattling sound from the windsheild. Been to the dealer and they claim that they can reproduce it and they blame it on the cream tube that have in the door which could be causing the sound (which obviously isn;t). Can you please run my VIN and check if i mine has any of these issues? VIN 1FMHK8D88BGA13371.

I can be reached at grinu@yahoo.com

Back