Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 68 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I joined this forum after reading all the post on the noise that is apparent on these Explorers. As many have mentioned the noise appears at speed on the highway. Mine always happens at 80 mph at high temps of 95 to 110 F. Yesterday was 110 and it was really bad. I pulled off the highway to examine the wiper blades not knowing this was a feature of the cowl (TSB 14-0029, 15-0011, and now 15-0143). I have a 2014 Sport and love the car. My cowl doesn't sit flush to the windshield and is rarely outside in the sun. The buzz stops when I duck behind or in between semi's and other cars. The wake turbulence from these cars does stop the buzz.

I feel armed with knowledge of the TSB's will result in a positive dealer experience. I doubt they could recreate this where I live. Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I joined this forum after reading all the post on the noise that is apparent on these Explorers. As many have mentioned the noise appears at speed on the highway. Mine always happens at 80 mph at high temps of 95 to 110 F. Yesterday was 110 and it was really bad. I pulled off the highway to examine the wiper blades not knowing this was a feature of the cowl (TSB 14-0029, 15-0011, and now 15-0143). I have a 2014 Sport and love the car. My cowl doesn't sit flush to the windshield and is rarely outside in the sun. The buzz stops when I duck behind or in between semi's and other cars. The wake turbulence from these cars does stop the buzz.

I feel armed with knowledge of the TSB's will result in a positive dealer experience. I doubt they could recreate this where I live. Thanks everyone!
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Good to hear that you have found helpful info here. Good luck.

Peter

Just picked up my new 2016 XLT yesterday, with 16 .3 miles. I have this noise. Frustrating, but I hope it's an easy fix.

New to this site - also the owner of a new 2015 Explorer Limited. The vibration sound drives me crazy and scares the hell out of unknowing folks in the front passenger seat. The noise/vibration is prevalent as speeds over 65 mph and a crosswind. The dealer has no clue - claims not to have had this complaint previously. Is there a number to the TSB?

New to this site - also the owner of a new 2015 Explorer Limited. The vibration sound drives me crazy and scares the hell out of unknowing folks in the front passenger seat. The noise/vibration is prevalent as speeds over 65 mph and a crosswind. The dealer has no clue - claims not to have had this complaint previously. Is there a number to the TSB?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
See post 343 in this thread or the 2011+ Explorer TSB's thread in the 'Sticky' section of this sub forum. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Peter

After doing the recommended tape application (TSB 14-0029) to the cowl cover (lip to windshield intersection) all the way across the windshield and up the lower pillar rubber seal (2 inches) the noise is gone. It was 106 F on the drive home with the typical 15 mph 90 degree cross wind. This is an ugly fix but necessary to prove what others have been talking about. What will Ford do about this is the question. All of the Explorers I see in the parking lots have this identical design feature.

Tricia,

I appreciate all the information and offer for assistance, but when I went in the next day to Fairview Ford, my service writer David Hoppel, already had the TSB printed out for me, and had the part in stock, found me a unused office I could work in, and had Service fix the problem in a couple hours. Kudos to you and my dealer, their staff, and Ford! Love my EX! Still have a rattle in my sunroof when i hit rough pavement, but will have them look at that when i have a chance.

Greetings all ... I will throw in my experience in here as well ... I have a 2015 Explorer Limited and had the same buzzing noises that you all have been having ... Mine symptoms were outside temps above 85 degrees and highway driving at 65 - 75 mph ... Like many others I thought it was the windshield wipers and replaced them with a quality set ... only to have the noise continue ... after reading this entire thread I went armed with enough information to the dealership and presented my case for a repair ... The service manager originally said that I would have to reproduce the noise and he would have to hear it before anything could be done about it ... He relented when I told him about the TSB 15 - 0111 Service Bulletin (thanks to this forum for the number), and he had a chance to read it ... Although I wasn't allowed to read the Bulletin, he mentioned about replacing the wiper cowl piece and widening the mounting holes by a couple of millimeters ... So they ordered the replacement cowl and set a service appointment for two weeks later ... on Friday 10/2, I took my Explorer into the dealership and advised the service manager that TSB 15 - 0111 has been replaced with TSB 15 - 0143, and to verify the same repair steps and parts were carried forward to the new bulletin, which he said they were ... (I wish there was a way for the average Joe to read these bulletins, without having to own a garage, or repair shop, or get expensive shop software like Mitchell On Demand, or AllData ... but I understand it is copyrighted material) ...

So long story short it took them about an hour to replace the cowl ... and to be totally honest I can not tell a difference between the old one and the new one ... To me I think the problem will still be there ... the edges of the cowl still feel very loose and there is a lot of play when you put pressure on the edges ... I voiced my concern to the Service Manager and demonstrated the affected area to him, which his reply was "Once they replace the cowl they have never had one come back" ... I guess only time will tell as I now have to wait about 8 months for the outside temperature to get back about 85 degrees to verify the "fix" worked ...

Good Luck to rest of you experiencing this wind noise/vibration issue ...

Welcome to the Forum JIFFSTER00.:wavey:
Please add the model (Limited) of your Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin when you post. Thanks.

Peter

Mine too
I've got 300 ish miles on Mine now, went 80 MPH on freeway and have the buzz.

New to this site - also the owner of a new 2015 Explorer Limited. The vibration sound drives me crazy and scares the hell out of unknowing folks in the front passenger seat...
Hello JEFFSMACHINE and jaavenor,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region! :)

Tricia,

I appreciate all the information and offer for assistance, but when I went in the next day to Fairview Ford, my service writer David Hoppel, already had the TSB printed out for me, and had the part in stock, found me a unused office I could work in, and had Service fix the problem in a couple hours. Kudos to you and my dealer, their staff, and Ford! Love my EX!...
After doing the recommended tape application (TSB 14-0029) to the cowl cover (lip to windshield intersection) all the way across the windshield and up the lower pillar rubber seal (2 inches) the noise is gone...
You’re welcome, Bhorak.

I'm only a PM away, so let me know if you need anything! ;)

Greetings all ... I will throw in my experience in here as well ...
Hello Ford Fam,

Thanks for the updates, and I’m glad to learn the dealer resolved your concerns. I’ll be happy to take your product feedback. Please PM the same information I requested above, and I’ll get it noted! :thumbsup:

Tricia

Brought my 2016 sport in for roof rail replacement and mentioned the TSB for the buzzing noise. They replicated the sound and ordered the new cowl and parts.

We had the same noise at highway speed a few weeks ago, thought it was the windshield wipers a well. haven't had it to the dealer yet, hopefully they can fix it It was extremely annoying...

2016 Explorer Limited...

I had the same issue. I folded the top edge of the cowl underneath itself all the way across the windshield and left it folded for about a week. After putting it back to its normal position, the problem went away. No trip to the dealer needed.

breshi - What were the conditions during the day when your noise appeared? Was it hot? Did you have head or cross wind while driving?

breshi - What were the conditions during the day when your noise appeared? Was it hot? Did you have head or cross wind while driving?

yes and yes. I had the buzzing noise coming from windshield cowl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my passenger A-pillar blow off, replaced it and almost blew off again. I noticed the mount was cracked and clips were wrecked. I want to replace the plastic that mounts to the metal on the pillar. bb53-7803682 is the mode number but can't find it anywhere, anybody replaced this???

Back