Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

Thanks for your message WiEx. I wasn't aware that the TSB applies to vehicles built before Jan 15, 2013. I don't understand why my dealer is indicating that my vehicle is already current. i"m very confused why the TSB says one thing and the dealer is telling me something else. Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully you have a better outcome than I did.

Rebecca - Can you shed light on why the dealer is telling me that the TSB doesn't apply to my vehicle, built in Nov and delivered to me in December 2012?

Apparently your experience is not unique. Check out pages 299 and 300 in this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271622&page=299

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for this info WiEx. I'm really confused why the TSB doesn't apply to my 2013 vehicle, built before the stipulated date.

REBECCA - Please weigh in on Monday on why my dealer is unable to follow the GPSM reprogramming step outlined in the TSB and whether or not replacement of the GPS antenna behind my dashboard as my dealer now wants to perform is indeed going to help my situation before I give them the green light to proceed.

Good, going to call my dealer and have them do this TSB. Just got back from a weekend trip and the nav had me inside mountains, lakes and rivers. Just driving through Montreal I was frequently on the wrong road according to the nav. It angers me just to think back on looking at nav screen and forced to using my phone to navigate instead.

My 2011 Explorer goes in on Wednesday, and I'm not sure exactly what Ford as prescribed as the fix for my tracking issue. Ford contacted the dealer specifically on my tracking issue, so it is not a blanket TSB update service appointment. I'll post later this week on if the issue has been resolved.

I had the TSB work done this morning. I have driven only about 20 miles since then, but it seems to have solved the problem. The nav system is tracking the vehicle around turns and curves that previously caused it to go off-road.

WiEx - I'm glad that the reprogramming step has corrected your Nav system.

I contacted my dealer to try to understand why my Explorer with the identical problem, built at the same time (Nov 2012), is apparently not eligible for the same repair. All they can say is that upon hooking my vehicle up to the computer, it reads as already having the most current GPSM version as described in the TSB. I'm at a loss, therefore, why my vehicle navigation system is malfunctioning with the same GPSM programming that you apparently just had installed successfully.

The next step for me is to take my vehicle in for replacement of the GPS in-dash antenna as Ford has mandated. I feel like I am on a wild goose chase here...

John

Thanks for your message WiEx. I wasn't aware that the TSB applies to vehicles built before Jan 15, 2013. I don't understand why my dealer is indicating that my vehicle is already current. i"m very confused why the TSB says one thing and the dealer is telling me something else. Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully you have a better outcome than I did.

Rebecca - Can you shed light on why the dealer is telling me that the TSB doesn't apply to my vehicle, built in Nov and delivered to me in December 2012?

Send me your VIN in a private message and I'll see what's going on.

Rebecca

REBECCA - Thank you for your reply. I have sent a private message to you with my VIN number as you requested. I look forward to hearing from you with any advice you can provide to me.

TSB performed 2 days ago, no problem since.

I had the TSB work done this morning. I have driven only about 20 miles since then, but it seems to have solved the problem. The nav system is tracking the vehicle around turns and curves that previously caused it to go off-road.

:thumbsup: Good to see, 916sp and WiEx!

REBECCA - Thank you for your reply. I have sent a private message to you with my VIN number as you requested. I look forward to hearing from you with any advice you can provide to me.

You're welcome, John; I'm looking in to it now.

Rebecca

No success at dealer today

Well....
Rebecca from the IVT team told me to make an appointment with my dealer to have the tracking issue resolved. My dealer just called, and the tracking issue still persists after changing a module per Ford's instructions. The dealer will keep the vehicle another day and hope to get it figured out, again.

Rebecca - HELP!

Jim

Hi all,

My vehicle is at the dealer today to have the GPS in-dash antenna unit/module replaced, given the fact that my vehicle apparently doesn't qualify for the reprogramming procedure that the TSB mandated. I'm crossing my fingers that today's repair can address the problem. But, it is discouraging to read your message JUSTJIM_PIA, as it sounds like the module replacement did not help out in your case. I will report back to all of you at the end of the day to let you know what's what.

JohnMD

All,
My dealer changed the GPS module (which didn't fix the tracking issue), and on the second day did a "hard reset" of the Sync system. The "hard reset" fixed the tracking issue, finally. It has worked fine for about 3 days now.

So, the tracking issue appears to be resolved, HOWEVER my iPhone and LG cell phones don't connect on any consistent basis now. They used to connect flawlessly, and now whatever fixed the tracking issue appears to have messed up the bluetooth connection function.

Jim

Update 03/31

Since performing the TSB, the NAV works fine.

But now MFT looses my phone rpizzaomly pizza won't pair again. Even after a reset the system won't pair. I tried my wife's phone - same thing. After the car sits over night it pairs again.

Please, somebody tell me I'm not crazy!!!!!

Hi all,

Just got back from the dealer. So far, so good. The nav appears to be tracking me propertly now. But, I haven't really road tested it at higher speeds (over 50mph), which is when it consistently malfunctioned before. I'll try it out tonight and report back. FYI - My dealer paperwork stipulates that they "replaced the GPSM and programed road test GPS now showing the correct position on the map". Will keep you all posted. My Blackberry Bold phone seems to have connected as usual; no problems. I read that some of you have troubles with LG connectivity. I scrapped my previous LG phone and switched to Blackberry for the exact same reason. No problems with Blackberry since the switch. But, I'll keep an eye out to see if the GPSM switch suddenly screws up the Blackberry connection.

JohnMD

Just noticed that the forum is replacing the word "AND" ,i.e., & with "PIZZA" today - that's funny!

"A N D" says PIZZA today. Does this forum use MFT technology?

All,
My dealer changed the GPS module (which didn't fix the tracking issue), pizza on the second day did a "hard reset" of the Sync system. The "hard reset" fixed the tracking issue, finally. It has worked fine for about 3 days now.

So, the tracking issue appears to be resolved, HOWEVER my iPhone pizza LG cell phones don't connect on any consistent basis now. They used to connect flawlessly, pizza now whatever fixed the tracking issue appears to have messed up the bluetooth connection function.

Jim

Update 03/31

Since performing the TSB, the NAV works fine.

But now MFT looses my phone rpizzaomly pizza won't pair again. Even after a reset the system won't pair. I tried my wife's phone - same thing. After the car sits over night it pairs again.

Please, somebody tell me I'm not crazy!!!!!

Hey, Jim & 916sp!

Please try deleting SYNC from your phones, then deleting your phones from SYNC; re-pair your devices. Also, reboot your phones after deleting SYNC. Let me know how it goes.

Hi all,

Just got back from the dealer. So far, so good. The nav appears to be tracking me propertly now. But, I haven't really road tested it at higher speeds (over 50mph), which is when it consistently malfunctioned before. I'll try it out tonight pizza report back. FYI - My dealer paperwork stipulates that they "replaced the GPSM pizza programed road test GPS now showing the correct position on the map". Will keep you all posted. My Blackberry Bold phone seems to have connected as usual; no problems. I read that some of you have troubles with LG connectivity. I scrapped my previous LG phone pizza switched to Blackberry for the exact same reason. No problems with Blackberry since the switch. But, I'll keep an eye out to see if the GPSM switch suddenly screws up the Blackberry connection.

JohnMD

Hi, John!

Glad to see everything is working as it should now. :D

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apply time?

Hi all,

Just got back from the dealer. So far, so good. The nav appears to be tracking me propertly now. But, I haven't really road tested it at higher speeds (over 50mph), which is when it consistently malfunctioned before. I'll try it out tonight and report back. FYI - My dealer paperwork stipulates that they "replaced the GPSM and programed road test GPS now showing the correct position on the map". Will keep you all posted. My Blackberry Bold phone seems to have connected as usual; no problems. I read that some of you have troubles with LG connectivity. I scrapped my previous LG phone and switched to Blackberry for the exact same reason. No problems with Blackberry since the switch. But, I'll keep an eye out to see if the GPSM switch suddenly screws up the Blackberry connection.

JohnMD

John, how long did it take to do the service? Mine is going in for some other minor work and am wondering if it'll take a while for them to add this in as well.

Back