Explorer Projector headlights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Projector headlights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, most people retrofit Mercedes projectors in their lenses.

sigh that sucks. I really would love a pair of these for my truck. I love the way projector headlights look, even if it has a halogen bulb inside. Crazy question...how hard is it to retofit a projector in a diamond cut housing

Here is what I was thinking

Taking diamond cuts. Measuring and cutting the middle out so I could fit in the projectors shown below. I would fit the projectors in so they shoot straight that way I can adjust the headlight and the projector would move. I would glue and silicone the projector into the housing really nice. I would have halo eye plus projector lighting
What do you guys think

1096906223487_1096389697643_LFP_RNDk.gif

Yep that's how it's done.

Would those produce good light? LOL Seem rather cheap to me.

im sure its A LOT easier said then done....and If I mess it up thats gonna b expensive

IAmTodd said:
Would those produce good light? LOL Seem rather cheap to me.

I honestly know nothing about projectors and such. I just want the effect without spending a lot of money.

I think i single angel eye for each side would look cheesy... especially on an explorer...

But I like the idea of retrofitting a projector into the DC headlights.. I think your best bet would be to take a trip to a junkyard, get a couple projectors, and cut up the stock headlights first... That way if it really cant work, you wont have a trashed set of DC's.

quiksilverdh said:
I think i single angel eye for each side would look cheesy... especially on an explorer...

But I like the idea of retrofitting a projector into the DC headlights.. I think your best bet would be to take a trip to a junkyard, get a couple projectors, and cut up the stock headlights first... That way if it really cant work, you wont have a trashed set of DC's.

And thhen just transfer the clear lense to the stock housing. It won't be using the housing to focus the light, so it doesn't matter what its like.

You will have to get projector Headlights. The small fog lights shown will give you almost no light. $250 or more for lights on ebay. Then the cost of the retrofit.

How much would it cost to get it professionally retrofitted?

What would I search for on ebay?

I put a set of projectors in my buddys tahoe and the lights suck. I don't recall what brand they were but they were not cheap. around $300. They project about 3/4 of the light his originals put out. In the rain you can barely see. I have a set of h.i.ds out of a 2005 range rover I'm thinking of putting in my ex. I just hesitate on cutting up the headlight capsules.

i was told if they were retrofitted, you might have to have your highbeams on all the time, unless you do some more customization on the wiring to get it to work on low beams.

i was thinking the same, but even more legit looking with a regular bulb and a projector. single projector bulb looks custom made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...ewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQitemZ8008712605QQrdZ1

i think the guy was right about projectors being on with highbeams only because most (cant say all because im not sure) projectors have 2 bulbs in the headlight housing, one for possibly low beam, and the projector for high beam.

Back