99 Explorer Projector headlights | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Projector headlights

Im thinking about buying those projectors on ebay, the ones that are basiaclly the whole headlight housing, they dont come with directions, are they plug and play pretty much or does this require any wire splicing and all of that..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On this kit on ebay, I didn't see the long adjuster lever to adjust the headlight, so how do you adjust these?
Heh, never got that far...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Holy crap man. Hope your fully recovered since then man. I'm sorry. RIP Explorer

Thanks, and I was pretty much unscathed (makes a man feel pretty guilty, considering what happened to the other party).

Anyways, I think I may stick with stock headlights for my EB, or perhaps go with a retro-fitting for projectors in the stock housings. Not sure. Might just get the Euro style crystals and HIDs. Already ordered HIDs from DDM for the fogs to test them out.

That's what I have for right now, got the diamond clear headlights and turn signals with just 6000K HID's in the mean time. But I hate to say it, still been torn between the ebay projectors as opposed to retrofit. Which is another reason why I've been holding off on buying anything until I made a decision plus along with it being the holiday season too.

If I was gonna go with this ebay projector kit.

ebayprojector.jpg

Then I was gonna either remove the lens to paint most of the black around the high beam and projector to either be the same color as my Explorer or just leave it black and paint over the angel eyes black so there isn't the white ring always showing and paint the turn signal chrome reflectors with black chrome paint so that way my Amber LED's are still reflective.

Does anyone know what size of bulb is used to light up the halos? I asked an ebay vendor today and got the answer "H1".

Obviously, I know it's not that size bulb. I'm guessing it's a small LED type bulb, but if anyone knows can you let me know.

Thanks

Si

I'm pretty sure the high beams were H1s. Wouldn't be surprised if the halos were as well. Anyways, I think they're still hanging on my Sport, so I'll check it out tomorrow for you.

I think the halos are just a small bulb like on the marker light... thanks man... sorry to hear about your accident!

Si

I'm looking into this: http://www.migicar.com/hdfexplo95bk.html But @ $350 seems a little high priced to me.
Has anyone used this in a 99x? I'm also looking into headers and install cold air lungs for under the hood for some breathing room. I read a lot of post in the header thread for 99x 5.0 and it looks like it is WAY more than I would care to tackle in the drive way.

Any thoughts or comments? btw, remember "side pipes" that was big in the 70s? Seen mostly on custom vans. They were not "open" but had a very nice deep (not offensively loud) sound. just very low and "breathy" if that's a word. They would mount where running boards are installed. My X has no running boards so I figure that would work in place of them. A friend back in college had a set of his Ford van with headers &302 in it. Sounded Sweet!

Thanks All
Rick

I'm looking into this: http://www.migicar.com/hdfexplo95bk.html But @ $350 seems a little high priced to me.
Has anyone used this in a 99x? I'm also looking into headers and install cold air lungs for under the hood for some breathing room. I read a lot of post in the header thread for 99x 5.0 and it looks like it is WAY more than I would care to tackle in the drive way.

Any thoughts or comments? btw, remember "side pipes" that was big in the 70s? Seen mostly on custom vans. They were not "open" but had a very nice deep (not offensively loud) sound. just very low and "breathy" if that's a word. They would mount where running boards are installed. My X has no running boards so I figure that would work in place of them. A friend back in college had a set of his Ford van with headers &302 in it. Sounded Sweet!

Thanks All
Rick

$350 seems steep for those lights. I've seen them for less. I still think the retrofit is a MUCH better option.

re: Headers etc, you really should start a post about those elsewhere to prevent this thread from being hijacked (i.e. going off on tangents). Torque Monster Headers are your only option for the 5.0. Search around and post on the many threads on the topic already started.

$350 seems steep for those lights. I've seen them for less. I still think the retrofit is a MUCH better option.

re: Headers etc, you really should start a post about those elsewhere to prevent this thread from being hijacked (i.e. going off on tangents). Torque Monster Headers are your only option for the 5.0. Search around and post on the many threads on the topic already started.

Thank you very much. I will do the header thing on it's thread.

I really like the look of those lights above. I also like the fact they are Plug n Play. I did read about the retro fit and not sure I have the design talent needed.

Rick.

I really like the look of those lights above. I also like the fact they are Plug n Play. I did read about the retro fit and not sure I have the design talent needed.

Rick.

I have zero design talent and was able to do the retro option. Have faith. :D

Haha I was waiting for Celly to chime in. :chug:

I got the ebay projectors for now to work in the mean time so while I have my diamond clear ones out I can slowly work on those. :D

I have zero design talent and was able to do the retro option. Have faith. :D

lolol I don't have any design talent either and was also able to do the retrofit...as long as you get the MH1's it's pretty easy

The Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) is on my list of to do in 2012 soon along with my new wheels and double din.

lolol I don't have any design talent either and was also able to do the retrofit...as long as you get the MH1's it's pretty easy

I am not so much worried about my design talent, as I am my patience with opening up the headlights and not destroying them in the process.

I am not so much worried about my design talent, as I am my patience with opening up the headlights and not destroying them in the process.

I hear ya, opening the headlights was my biggest concern when I started mine. I used a heat gun and I held it in the same spot for too long in a few places and I got a little bit of melting but it wasn't too bad. You also have to be really careful when prying the lens off because it's pretty easy to crack the housing in the area where you're prying, which happened on both of mine (I should have taken some pics of this) but the window butyl used to seal the lens to the housing holds the pieces that broke together pretty well on mine.

You just have to be careful and go slow, as painful as that can be (I know it was for me lol)

I hear ya, opening the headlights was my biggest concern when I started mine. I used a heat gun and I held it in the same spot for too long in a few places and I got a little bit of melting but it wasn't too bad. You also have to be really careful when prying the lens off because it's pretty easy to crack the housing in the area where you're prying, which happened on both of mine (I should have taken some pics of this) but the window butyl used to seal the lens to the housing holds the pieces that broke together pretty well on mine.

You just have to be careful and go slow, as painful as that can be (I know it was for me lol)

My housing cracked in the area where I was prying. Hoping the glue that came with the retrofit kit helps hold the cracked piece together.

Just finished my HID Retrofit here . Thanks again for all the info posted on the matter that paved the way for this mod.

One teaser pic. Also put in some white LED driving/fog lights that came with my new Ebay headlight housings.
picture.php

Back