Explorer ST vs Palisade Limited | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ST vs Palisade Limited

By far go with the Palisade. I had a hard time saying goodbye to Ford but I had enough with exhaust filled cabin every time I accelerated my 2018 EX

Did you have the recall fix? How did you know it was happening? Did you buy a carbon monoxide monitor?

I've been getting headaches when driving and maybe it's just the result of a stressful day at work, but I'm starting to wonder. I never thought I had this issue though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, it is easy to say the ST is faster, but the truth is, overall performance is much better. With the street pack, brakes are really solid and stops much shorter than a Palisade. Easily the best brakes I've had on any car I've owned. You look at skid pad numbers... much better with the ST. To me, speed and braking means safety.
You are dead on with this. Honestly, that 3.0 twin turbo is one of the best motors out there. Add on the street pack for the brakes, and is a very solid car. I haven't had any tranny issues in my 2020 ST and I have 17K miles on it. My GF has a Audi Q5 type S and it drives EXACTLY the same with 100 more HP. The Explorer is very quiet as well. Yes, it is plasticky, but the tech and that touch screen are quite good. USB ports in the 3rd row? Nawh, I'll take that motor screaming for more at 5K RPM. It simply pulls and pulls and pulls.

Both the KIA and Hyundai have been rated much higher than the Explorer/Ford. KIA Telluride is manufactured and assembled in West Point Georgia.
Several Ford parts are made outside of the U.S. https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ord-announces-2-5-billion-usd-investment.html The Ford Edge is made in Canada.

Peter
So, where do you think the profits go?
Telluride=Right back to South Korea.
Also, where Do you think raw materials come from that are assembled in Georgia?
“The pandemic did Kia and Telluride buyers no favors. In May Automotive News reported the Georgia factory was shut down for nearly eight weeks then resumed with just one shift out of an abundance of caution. The factory’s back up to three shifts, but it’s “not full guns on production, yet,” Bell said, noting a parts shortage from a supply chain in Mexico.“ I’m guessing other raw materials come from Korea or China...

I love my 2020 Explorer and would take it over a Kia all day, any day.
America first, last, and always!

I have the limited and the ST price jump for power and over sized iPad was not going to happen for me. I do like my limited. If I was to do it over. I would get the Telluride and spend more or the price of the Limited on higher end package of the Telluride. The Kia seems a little more luxurious looking IMO. But again the long term issues is unknown on a new vehicle. So if the price is not an issue then the ST is the better choice to me. One of my friends have one and had it dyno tuned and the baby flies like an eagle. Lol

IMO no one needs an "almost 400HP" SUV & the only reliable ones are a slightly Used Infinty or Lexus - IMO a slightly used loaded Expedition or Nav "300HP" V8 a better choice than ur 2 options - There are some good Chevy V8 SUV's still out there - IMO no one will ever make a reliable twin turbo motor - Volkswagen & KIA's are WELL proven to also have reliability issues & TERRIBLE resale - So basically I think u are looking at the wrong cars... period.

IMO no one needs an "almost 400HP" SUV & the only reliable ones are a slightly Used Infinty or Lexus - IMO a slightly used loaded Expedition or Nav "300HP" V8 a better choice than ur 2 options - There are some good Chevy V8 SUV's still out there - IMO no one will ever make a reliable twin turbo motor - Volkswagen & KIA's are WELL proven to also have reliability issues & TERRIBLE resale - So basically I think u are looking at the wrong cars... period.

Really?? The TT ecoboost engines in the SHO and F-150 have held up well over the last 10 years, if you are referring to the direct inject side of things as long as you know what you are in for they are easily taken care of if you know what you are doing. Using the VW DI engines from 10 years is like comparing apples to cat turds.
Most of the people that are anti turbo seem to be over 60 and think all turbo engines perform like they did in the 80s.......

The reason some of us like 400 hp in a people carrier is due to their current curb weights 250-300 hp in a 4800# suv is down right dangerous to move that much mass. Until the manufacturers get serious about weight reduction similar to the F-150 they are going to need to keep increasing power so the vehicles can get out of their own way, hell look at the CT5 that thing is a joke and its a sedan.....

This opinion is coming from someone that has owned an I-4, turbo'd flat 4, supercharged 5.0 V8, NA 6.2, 3.5 V6 and a TT 3.0.

I would love to go back to V8'ing all the things but sadly those years are long gone outside of a few performance cars and those numbers are dwindling fast.

The wife and I really wanted to buy a new SUV and we looked at both the ST and the high end Explorer (I think it's the platinum but I don't recall).

Drove both the Explorers and were disappointed to see that adjustable pedal option are is longer offered (according to the dealer). So with the extremely sloped back A pillar, for my wife who is short she has to move the seat very far forward to reach the pedals. The A pillar is less than six inches from the side of her forehead. An that does not even take into account making somebody sit that dangerously close to the steering wheel air bag. How could a vehicle that was pushing $60k have less important options than the previous generations? An yes I down own primarily USA made vehicles, 3 of which have adjustable pedals....2016 F350, 2005 Excursion, 2009 Dodge Viper. My 2007 F350 also had adjustable pedals.

The other issue with the new Explorer is it has some of the worst blind spots money can buy. SUV's don't all have to look like eggs with sloped back windows and hatches. I can't wait to see how the new Ford Bronco's interior is and real world ergonomics.

The Palisade rode so smooth, I thought it was on air ride suspension, very impressed....but I cannot get over the front end that looks like crap. The Telluride looks much better, but not as fancy with the options as the Palisade. Throw in a very small V8 or twin turbo V6 in either of these units and it's game over....they are both that good. They were in such high demand, we had to go to 3 or 4 dealerships just to find one that was not spoken for. All of this was just before Covid, so I haven't been car shopping since the lockdown.
I think it's because the Explorer has a different kind of pedal. As you can see in this photo the pedal's not your ordinary pedal...It kind of reminds me of the gas and brake from the Porsche Cayenne. So maybe that's why you can't adjust it, it kind of looks like they hinge from the bottom.
2020-Ford-Explorer-mat-pedals_13741_144_640x480.jpg

I think it's because the Explorer has a different kind of pedal. As you can see in this photo the pedal's not your ordinary pedal...It kind of reminds me of the gas and brake from the Porsche Cayenne. So maybe that's why you can't adjust it, it kind of looks like they hinge from the bottom.
You are correct. The pedal on both the 2020 Explorer and Aviator are fastened to the floor, unlike the 5th gen. This now makes it impossible to slip any floor liners under it to protect that area.:(

Peter

Did you have the recall fix? How did you know it was happening? Did you buy a carbon monoxide monitor?

I've been getting headaches when driving and maybe it's just the result of a stressful day at work, but I'm starting to wonder. I never thought I had this issue though.
I could smell the exhaust/carbon smell after every acceleration, when I had 4 adults and start uphill the smell was more like burnt oil. Only time I felt dizzy was going thru the passes between Yuma and San Diego on I-8, just opened the windows and made sure climate control was set on outside air. If your concerned, keep checking your air-recirc is off, mine defaults to that setting every time I started it up.

The wife and I really wanted to buy a new SUV and we looked at both the ST and the high end Explorer (I think it's the platinum but I don't recall).

Drove both the Explorers and were disappointed to see that adjustable pedal option are is longer offered (according to the dealer). So with the extremely sloped back A pillar, for my wife who is short she has to move the seat very far forward to reach the pedals. The A pillar is less than six inches from the side of her forehead. An that does not even take into account making somebody sit that dangerously close to the steering wheel air bag. How could a vehicle that was pushing $60k have less important options than the previous generations? An yes I down own primarily USA made vehicles, 3 of which have adjustable pedals....2016 F350, 2005 Excursion, 2009 Dodge Viper. My 2007 F350 also had adjustable pedals.

The other issue with the new Explorer is it has some of the worst blind spots money can buy. SUV's don't all have to look like eggs with sloped back windows and hatches. I can't wait to see how the new Ford Bronco's interior is and real world ergonomics.

The Palisade rode so smooth, I thought it was on air ride suspension, very impressed....but I cannot get over the front end that looks like crap. The Telluride looks much better, but not as fancy with the options as the Palisade. Throw in a very small V8 or twin turbo V6 in either of these units and it's game over....they are both that good. They were in such high demand, we had to go to 3 or 4 dealerships just to find one that was not spoken for. All of this was just before Covid, so I haven't been car shopping since the lockdown.

Yes, the adjustable pedal option is needed. The brake pedal is a bit higher than edge, which makes it uncomfortable when jam on the brake.

My wife and I are comparing these two vehicles. Has anyone else cross shopped these two? I like that the explorer ST has a bit more power but the Palisade limited seems a little more luxurious. Has anyone been having a hard time deciding or what made you purchase your Explorer ST vs another vehicle? I am also wanting to know about the long term reliability. It seems that the explorer has already had quite a few recalls?
I have been through two 2020 Explorers and both have been Reacquired by Ford because of transmissions. I would recommend a 21 Explorer over the 2020.

My wife and I are comparing these two vehicles. Has anyone else cross shopped these two? I like that the explorer ST has a bit more power but the Palisade limited seems a little more luxurious. Has anyone been having a hard time deciding or what made you purchase your Explorer ST vs another vehicle? I am also wanting to know about the long term reliability. It seems that the explorer has already had quite a few recalls?
I was in the same boat a month ago. We drove the Telluride and Enclave before trading in our 2013 Enclave on a 2020 Explorer Platinum. The 2020 Explorer Platinum appears to be a wise decision.

We bought a 2020 Platinum last December and have put just over 16K miles on it. Great power (1 speeding ticket) and ride and only 2 minor fixes, a speed sensor in the diff and valve in the heater.

I am sure South Korean products are decent, but they do not play fair with their markets. I worked there in 2001-2002 and their markets were essentially closed to US products by extreme import tariffs. You would see the occasional Harley cruising around Seoul and that was it for American products. They are master copyright and intellectual thieves just like the Chinese, but they are a US ally in the perpetual standoff with the NoKo regime. I want to keep American workers prosperous.

That can apply to many items sold that were manufactured 'abroad'. In the meantime they provide employment for Americans, pay taxes and purchase local products. You can't isolate yourself in a world economy without negative effects.

Peter

The profits go back to Korea. The profits for Ford come back to the US.

But sometimes there are no profits. Sometimes there are bailouts with taxpayers left holding the bag.

I am happy if final assembly is in the US but bottom line, I will buy whatever vehicle is best for me. Thankfully, have enjoyed every car I've ever owned, both domestic and import.

But sometimes there are no profits. Sometimes there are bailouts with taxpayers left holding the bag.

I am happy if final assembly is in the US but bottom line, I will buy whatever vehicle is best for me. Thankfully, have enjoyed every car I've ever owned, both domestic and import.

Ford was not bailed out in 2008. but did receive government loans because most the banks were on the rocks. I think they will have paid them all back by 2022.

Ford was not bailed out in 2008. but did receive government loans because most the banks were on the rocks. I think they will have paid them all back by 2022.
Ford sold and or stopped redundant vehicles. Sold AND DISCONTINUE SOME LINES, RANGE ROVER, VOLVO, ASTON MARTIN, MERCURY AND MANY PROPERTIES.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI:. Ford is edging toward the brink of bankruptcy.

Back