• Register Today It's free!

explorer with bad trans

dennit469

Reaction score
City, State
aiken, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport 4.0L v6 SOHC
i posted a thread a few weeks ago to diagnose a problem with trans and had myself believing it was everything but the worst, and of course it was the worst. clutch pads are burnt, quoted at cheapest estimate 1400 to fix here locally, right now its sitting in my yard and not being driven, im wanting to sell this for parts of just as is, its a 98 white sport 2x4 sohc v6, engine JUST i mean JUST had $1300 worth of fixes done because of the rear timing chain snapping, then 2,000 miles later the trans goes out, cant win for loosing with this car, engine is excellent condition with 5 new valves (they got bent when it through the timing chain and they had to be replaced, no other internal damage). anyway, it still will go in second gear then i can shift to drive and it will chug right along in 3-4 gear fine, just didnt want anymore damage done so i havent drove it, it JUST hit 100k miles before this happened, its arounf 100,200 miles, if anyone interested please send me a personal message and i will exchange number/email, whatever works for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a junkyard trans and do a swap. Worth a shot.

$1400 for a clutch change?!!? Really?! I'm in the wrong business....

A clutch shouldn't cost anywhere near that much...

$1400 for a clutch change?!!? Really?! I'm in the wrong business....

A clutch shouldn't cost anywhere near that much...

let me add its a auto trans not manual, i think thats what your getting at. it was 1400 just for what they call a "rebuild"

Get a junkyard trans and do a swap. Worth a shot.

NONE of the junkyards around here have it, ive checked ones up to 75 miles away and still nothing, the U-PULL IT yards have shut down near me and just recycle metal now, that would be ideal if i could find one

Aaahhh... See, 'torque converter clutch' and 'clutch pads' are distinctly different beasts.... And $1400 for a trans rebuild is still high IMHO.

Check the 'for sale' forum on here for the guy parting out the Explorers. Odds are he can ship you a good used trans for MUCH less than $1400. For your 98, look for one from 97-01.

Aaahhh... See, 'torque converter clutch' and 'clutch pads' are distinctly different beasts.... And $1400 for a trans rebuild is still high IMHO.

Check the 'for sale' forum on here for the guy parting out the Explorers. Odds are he can ship you a good used trans for MUCH less than $1400. For your 98, look for one from 97-01.

will do, i just dont want the car tho, ive already gotten a loan for a 04 lexus is300, i was just looking to get the car sold as is like a whole

Back