Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts

I've heard from others of issues of these rubbing the shocks, have you experienced this at all?
Hmm, no I haven't had any rubbing. I have Rancho RS5000 type shocks all around. Don't know if that matters. All the suspension mounting is at stock locations, and maybe 1-1.5" torsion twist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, no I haven't had any rubbing. I have Rancho RS5000 type shocks all around. Don't know if that matters. All the suspension mounting is at stock locations, and maybe 1-1.5" torsion twist.
Ok thanks. I'm putting mine in tomorrow, I have the same shocks and same suspension height

Hi at all,

my oem cv axle outer boot clamps came loose, so i slowly lost grease which spread all over
brake parts and so on. The cv axle have many (only steet) miles on it and make some clicking noise,
torsion bars are screwed up.
So i decided to try the TrakMotive axels, installation was easy.
But i wonder how much the outer TrakMotive boots are bend.
Did they last for a while, any experience?
IMG_3033.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

regards Wolfgang

As long as you didn't squeeze all the air out of them installing them, they should be fine. I made that mistake and the boots failed.

Ah, i understand, some kind of vacuum in these boots. But you really can't avoid this
by installing them. Yor have to push the axles into the differential by compressing
the whole shaft and boot. But when air goes out, air shoulde be go in again?

Wolfgang

Just don't compress the outer joint. The inner one doesn't seem to have an issue with it.

I'm really starting to think the boot material is an issue with these axles. I just installed the 3rd pair on my explorer. 2" torsion twist. Pretty minimal angle. The boots don't flex back into shape after turning. Once they get out of shape, the bellows can't bend correctly and they split. I even tried lubing them with silicone spray maybe thinking they were just dry, made no difference. I contacted trakmotive about it. I'm not sure what boot material the oe shafts used, but I'm imagining it'd be fine for this. The joints and the inner boot/ sliding shaft on these work great. Im most likely going to order some oem ford axles if these continue to have this issue.
IMG_20230401_135057799.jpg
IMG_20230401_181157776.jpg

I also contacted TrackMotive, the only answer was to use the warranty if the boots will crack.
The OEM boots are very strong, never failed and they are much more longer as these
TrakMotive thermo plastik boots. But there's not enough space for longer boots,
maybe silicone boots would be so soft and flexible for these extended travel axle.
I had tryed these silicone boots long time ago, but the OEM axles were worn and out of balance.
DSCN3587.JPG

I have tryed new Cardone axles, they didn't last very long with 2" rise. Noise comming up, it was annoying.
Another issue are these outer dust rings, they rubed in a short amount of time.
neue Wellen.jpg

New Ford OEM axels are very rare/expensive, they will be stressed by any kind of raise.
Painted , greased and sealed this used pair, but it last for only one year.
Clamps were not tight enough, grease came out...never ending story.
alte Wellen überholt.JPG

regards Wolfgang

I also contacted TrackMotive, the only answer was to use the warranty if the boots will crack.
The OEM boots are very strong, never failed and they are much more longer as these
maybe silicone boots would be so soft and flexible for these extended travel axle.
I had tryed these silicone boots long time ago, but the OEM axles were worn and out of balance.
View attachment 440848

I have tryed new Cardone axles, they didn't last very long with 2" rise. Noise comming up, it was annoying.
Another issue are these outer dust rings, they rubed in a short amount of time.
View attachment 440849

New Ford OEM axels are very rare/expensive, they will be stressed by any kind of raise.
Painted , greased and sealed this used pair, but it last for only one year.
Clamps were not tight enough, grease came out...never ending story.
View attachment 440850

regards Wolfgang
I'd almost guarantee with the neoprene boots, the extended travel axles would be perfect. They're too hard. I understand puncture resistance but it's too stiff. Oe ford axles can be had online or from Rock auto for 110-120 a piece. I'm debating on going back with those or the stock length trakmotive axles. Only reason I think mine didnt last before was I had it cranked up too high. Like probably 3"+. Was told by a person to set the Suspension height so the center of the hub is 21" from the center of the wheel well opening. 32"s clear fine, rides good and the axle angles are minimal.

View attachment 440848
regards Wolfgang

You have spent a lot of time trying to make your CV axles survive.

Where did you buy those blue silicone axle boots? Those may be a good answer for those needing a better boot, or a similar size available. The boots are the weakest link in a near stock height application.

Not only the CV axels survive, the whole vehicle must survive, it's my daily driver since 1997 with 185000 miles.
These blue boots are universal boots if i remember right. I think it's 9 years ago
as i bought them, do not remember where i bought them (maybe amazon
Amazon product ASIN B076YB9DGL ).

Regards Wolfgang

Thank you for the link, but i believe that Motorcraft TX462 / TX463 would not fit for my 97 Explorer.
It looks like they do not have these outer dust seal rings and maybe they are longer in extended lenght.
Think they would be listed at RA if they would fit for a 97 Ex.

Wolfgang

Did not last very long, it's a real issue with these boots.
Get in contact with RA, they want to get both axle back,
so i decide to order another set.
If there is time i try to change the boots with neoprene boots.
Maybe there is a problem to get off the outer CV joints
of the new axle without disturbing them.
Manschette defekt.JPG

Wolfgang

Did not last very long, it's a real issue with these boots.
Get in contact with RA, they want to get both axle back,
so i decide to order another set.
If there is time i try to change the boots with neoprene boots.
Maybe there is a problem to get off the outer CV joints
of the new axle without disturbing them.
View attachment 443205

Wolfgang
Yeah mine are starting to look like that too.

Tryed to get the outer CV joint off, no chance.
Believe the internal spap ring is a one way spap ring.
Once in, never out...
IMG_3063.JPG

At least the tool gave up.
IMG_3064.JPG

Now i ordered a boot spreader, we will see...

Wolfgang

just a silly question, why would you need extended length cv axles?
The stock cv axles work fine throughout the entire suspension travel of the factory suspension
I have seen nothing but issues with these since they came out and they are twice as expensive as the stock replacments

If you were increasing the amount of travel available ion the ifs then you would need longer travel from the cv's but the ball joints will bind long before that happens

just a silly question, why would you need extended length cv axles?
The stock cv axles work fine throughout the entire suspension travel of the factory suspension
I have seen nothing but issues with these since they came out and they are twice as expensive as the stock replacments

If you were increasing the amount of travel available ion the ifs then you would need longer travel from the cv's but the ball joints will bind long before that happens
It was more of them being able to take higher angles(turned up torsion bars) and not destroy the boots as fast. Which they actually turned out worse than the stock ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sob!!!

You are doing a great job.
I have fought the same boot issues as you with the wife’s FJ cruiser
Some parts should never be put on a shelf, boots that last months? It’s outrageous

Back