Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts

Fire

Reaction score
City, State
N/A
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4
I was checking into Trakmotive and their extended travel CV axles they now offer. They don't list them for front SLA IFS Ford Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac, but I got word from their sales rep that they are working on it for this year. Coverage would be 00-10 Ranger, which would also fit the 01-05 Sport Trac, and maybe some 95-01 Explorers. Here is their flyer:

03/2020: New Extended CV Axles Designed Specifically for Lifted Vehicles | TrakMotive

Sounds like great news, as I tend to get some binding or clunk when I am on the trail and maxing out the stock CV axle travel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are a neat idea. I'm curious how long they'll last in use.

Trakmotive now lists P/Ns for teh CV axles for Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac!!
I can't find them anywhere, so I emailed them about how to order.

Got an email back from Trakmotive -

Thanks for your interest in our XTT axles. Those particular axles aren’t available quite yet. I would say within the next month or so. When they are released but your local auto parts store should be able to order the axles from their nearest distributor. TrakMotive products are also available online through e-tailers.

Trakmotive now lists P/Ns for teh CV axles for Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac!!
I can't find them anywhere, so I emailed them about how to order.

Is there anything known yet about the strength of those axles? I might be interested of they were stronger than the stock axles.

Is there anything known yet about the strength of those axles? I might be interested of they were stronger than the stock axles.
Should be comparable, you are snapping the stock ones?

Should be comparable, you are snapping the stock ones?
No, I'm aiming for a power nobody has reached yet with these, near 600hp. I've got one truck lowered enough to need longer UCA's, but not really enough for longer axles I don't believe. I suspect the front driveshaft is the weakest link in stock form, but the CV axles might be close too.

The extended travel, higher angle CV axles are now available!! I ordered them at NAPAonline. Lifetime warranty. Should get them this week, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Price wasn't TOO crazy, they have a special going on, so they were about $250 each. Wifey got them for me for my bday.

Hopefully I can switch from level axles and attached-loosely swaybar (to prevent binding when crawling), to an inch or so higher and no swaybar!

The extended travel, higher angle CV axles are now available!! I ordered them at NAPAonline. Lifetime warranty. Should get them this week, and I'll let you know how it goes.
Price wasn't TOO crazy, they have a special going on, so they were about $250 each. Wifey got them for me for my bday.

Hopefully I can switch from level axles and attached-loosely swaybar (to prevent binding when crawling), to an inch or so higher and no swaybar!
What part numbers are they listed as? when I search the trakmotive ones nothing comes up

The NAPA numbers are: NCV 941494 and 95 for the 2 sides.

They don't list the Trakmotive P/Ns but their brochure is pretty much identical, so I pretty sure that is where they are sourcing them.

At 300 a axle, they are kind of hard to swallow

FD-8021XTT
FD-8004XTT

for 2nd gen explorer.

FD-8021XTT
FD-8004XTT

for 2nd gen explorer.

Are those your preferred replacements now? I see that some choices from before are gone, on the RA site. Those at $50 each are even less than what most cost before. I haven't bought any in several years, the new ones from O'Reilly's were the last ones I think I got.

Status report -- I installed the CV axles from NAPA a few days ago, and no installation issues, fit is same as the OEMs. Greased up the c-clip on DS to keep it centered (PS has c-clip in diff tube), then tapped the axles in with a plastic dead-blow hammer. Twisted the torsion bars about 2 turns to get about 1" of lift. CV axles went from level to a bit of angle. Ground to wheelwell is 40".

I've put about 100 mi on them. I'd go 4 wheeling, but I also installed a new engine, so I'm babying it for the first 500mi. In a week or so I'll take it off road to try out and advise.

I got the axles $250ea on special at NAPA.

Pics!!

-20211216_115146r.jpg -20211216_115559r.jpg

Look great, they are definitely on my to do list now.

So I was able to try out the truck offroad with the new cv axles. Went on a couple outings with my Jeep buddies. Here in AZ most trails are rocky, and found rocks to climb. Had no problems with the CV axles, -no binding or clunking, no leakage. So far so good. 1 less thing to worry about when offroading or overlanding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was able to try out the truck offroad with the new cv axles. Went on a couple outings with my Jeep buddies. Here in AZ most trails are rocky, and found rocks to climb. Had no problems with the CV axles, -no binding or clunking, no leakage. So far so good. 1 less thing to worry about when offroading or overlanding.
I've heard from others of issues of these rubbing the shocks, have you experienced this at all?

Back