• Register Today It's free!

Extended Vehicle Warranty?

96743explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Big Island, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer V6 4x4
with all the problems these 06-10 ford explorers have do you think it is worth it to get those Extended Vehicle Warranty plans that cover anything if your vehicle bites the dust? Do these things even work? Any insight will be appreciated.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In general, I shy away from purchasing extended warranties on anything. You are buying such things, better that you will have a problem. If you are that concerned that a vehicle is going to have a problem, get a good inspection first. If still concerned, buy something else.

The only reason I had it (Ford PremiumCare) on our used purchase, was that it was already in place by the original owner. It only cost me $35 to transfer.

Many places will happily throw in a 12-month powertrain warranty as part of the deal. Perhaps you can negotiate that they convert that to a bumper-to-bumper package. Other than that, just make sure you get a good deal, and fix things if they break.

What problems ? :)
It all depends how handy you are, and if you have some trusted (non dealer) shop around you.
If you can do basic diagnostics yourself and replace some things yourself, than I would not.
Today's cars last a lot longer than 10-15 years ago.

im talking about the extended after factory warranties. its like car insurance for when your car goes south. like when your radiator fails, your tranny starts to shimmer, your V8 spark plugs break off in the head and you have to redo the whole thing. they replace everything. you pay a deductable of course. do these things actually work??

What problems ? :)
It all depends how handy you are, and if you have some trusted (non dealer) shop around you.
If you can do basic diagnostics yourself and replace some things yourself, than I would not.
Today's cars last a lot longer than 10-15 years ago.

not these Explorers........ i was a Honda head before, but was handed an 06 xlt exploder by my wife. these things have way heavier maintenance than Hondas do. So far i did a wheel bearing, spark pugs, wires, coil , couple tire sensors, luckily the radiator, ac, and a window switch was still under warranty, tie rod end, swaybar endlinks. On my Honda the most i did was change the oil, and a motor swap because i wanted v-tec. that was pretty much it.

Back