Extremely noob jack stand question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extremely noob jack stand question

nssj2

Reaction score
ok please don't laugh too hard at this one, i feel bad askin it. im always afraid of my truck fallin on me when im workin under it, so i make sure to have damn good places to put jack stands. but, since im ripping the whole front end apart, my places wont work. so, where is a really good spot to put jack stands up front leaving access be able to yank the lower control arms? (cant go on the frame behind the LCAs cuz i need to pull the torsion bars). thanks, and sorry again for the stupid question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 jack stands, 2 under the front x member and 2 just aft of the torsion bar brackets on the frame.

I just replaced the entire front suspension on my 96, this is how I make sure the truck is safely supported.

i have 3' stands and im about a foot shy of the front rails. maybe the body mount bracket next to the frame under the driver and passenger doors?

thanks 410!

Just remember that the only stupid question is an unasked one especailly when it comes to safety!

OH whoops you are installing a superlift with drop brackets...yah you gotta pick, the front of the truck up by the frame just behind the front bumper...heck remove the front bumper if you have too...this is a big project you need the correct jack stands or make extensions for yours....

This is where a front receiver hitch comes in oh so handy......

foiled again. yes, i forgot the front crossmember drops with the LCAs and front diff. hum....

what about a bigass cinderblock under the jack stands up under the front rails?

OH whoops you are installing a superlift with drop brackets...yah you gotta pick, the front of the truck up by the frame just behind the front bumper...heck remove the front bumper if you have too...this is a big project you need the correct jack stands or make extensions for yours....

This is where a front receiver hitch comes in oh so handy......

See,
Although my truck is LOWERED!!!

I am learning a few things--:D

wood blocks maybe, cement blocks = death

never ever get under a vehicle supported with cement blocks

I use wood blocks ALL THE TIME, I have a ton of cut up 8x8 posts in 2' lengths just for this purpose
If you stack them make sure they are stable, you may ever screw a 2x4 along the sides to ensure they remain stacked.

A friend of the family recently had their kid killed when his jack failed and the car fell on him.....

thats why i thought id ask yall before i do something like that. i think i can run to home depot and get some 12x12 scraps for not too much. i just dont want to buy yet another set of jackstands (bringing my collection to 5 pairs).

harbor freight has some nice tall jack stands for cheap...someday I will get some of those suckers!

or just stack some 3/4" plywood scraps under them. im trying to get a big part of this project knocked out today while the weather holds out. any other thoughts??

harbor freight has some nice tall jack stands for cheap...someday I will get some of those suckers!

i checked their site, the ones i found were the same size as mine. looks like im just going to try stacking some timber for up front. the rear is lifted so if i even it out there shouldnt be excessive weight on the very front stands. thanks for the imput all.

Just wondering: Why can't you use the factory lifting points? They're the body mounts near the front edge of the front doors... The specific points are in the owner's manual...

-Joe

i asked that a little further up, but nobody said anything about them. ill get back under and see if ill have clearance issues there when pulling the torsion bars out.

There are some brackets just outside of the frame I believe, but inside of the torsion bars. That is where I supported mine when doing the lift. EDIT: They are "straps" on the second body mount from the front- I put my jack stands there. Ease the weight down as always.

I have 2 sets of jackstands, one big set and one small set, I need one more extra tall set. I also have various hardwood blocks for the difficult thing to lift or support.

I never, never work under a vehicle supported by a jack only. I have often worked under one supported by a jack, but I always put a jack stand in a solid place under the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good points, another thing that a "Noob" or even veteren needs to remember is that you need to be careful when pulling on a difficult bolt with a wrench or socket and never brace your leg against a jack stand especially for any type of leverage. If I ever have a nut that isn't coming off easy I make sure I no where near under the truck when tugging on the wrench. I also am in the habit of having the jack in a locked position as a secondary support if in fact the truck should slide.

I just slid my truck off the stands right before our truckhaven trip. I've had the entire front end and rear axles off trucks probably close to 20 times and never had an issue but I slipped up when I was trying to get my leafs with new snug bushings into the shackles because 1) I didn't chock my front wheels, 2) I didn't evaluate the situation correctly 3) I tried to force a spring into a shackle by means of a floor jack to push it into place. The leverage I was trying to push up actually went all forward and before I knew it the truck was on the ground destroying one of my jack stands.

I was standing 3 feet behind the truck when I did this and my heart still dropped when I saw it shift. I wish I could replay that scenario, I ruined some good shocks, but nothing like my life.

Back