F-150 8.8 Swap? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F-150 8.8 Swap?

RangerX said:
Why not stick with the drums, at least for now, and see how you like it. You can always swap later...

Because I chucked them already :banghead: I left most of the drum stuff at the junk yard :(

Besides....I'm so close...I can taste it! :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[subscribing]

I thought about this idea late last night too, and today I ran into this thread :thumbsup: woooOOOOooo

Just orderd custom Explorer rotors from Currie. They are drilling out the center bigger and putting it the 5x5.5 pattern. Looks like this may work. :bounce:

ce6031.jpg

what was the cost for the new shafts?

IZwack said:
what was the cost for the new shafts?

Didn't buy new shafts...I'm using the stock ones. ;)

Oh interesting!!! So how much did that cost (shipped and all) ?

IZwack said:
Oh interesting!!! So how much did that cost (shipped and all) ?

$150 and i'm pick them up ;)

Hehe lucky you!

Just raced down to Currie on my lunch break :rolleyes: pickeked up the new rotors. They're Perrttyy!

Everyone cross your fingers, we'll see if this works tommorow. ;)

I wish I could just "race down" to Currie.
Or "race down" to Blue Torch Fab ..
:(

IZwack said:
I wish I could just "race down" to Currie.
Or "race down" to Blue Torch Fab ..
:(

I ment race as a joke, well kinda :rolleyes:

Currie is 36 miles from my office, and in LA traffic :(

But overall not to bad. 1hr there, 15min at Currie, and 45min. back :D

my lunch is only 1hr though :(

....it works.... ;)

picture tommorow

Well the brakes look to work, only time will tell. Ran into some problems though. :(

The axle shaft when in all the way were rubing on the internal parts of the parking brake. so we ground down a few pieces yill it did not bind when spinning. The problems is the wheel studs hit on the inside. we also removed the outer sping on the parking shoe. we hope this will be OK :rolleyes: because there is one on the inside and normal drum brake only have one. Other then that the new rotor seem to sit almost perfect. the problem with them is there is a small lip on the inside of the disc that keeps it about a 1/4 or so out. so I just put a few washers on the studs, and I think it should be fine. The real test will be once it's up and driving again. If it binds...I'll just take off the paring brake set-up, and go to a driveshaft style :(

now for some pics.

Disc.jpg

Disc2.jpg

So the interference with the e-brake mechanism? Would you say that axles about 1/4 of an inch longer would solve the problem? Also, where do you get all your axle measurments from?

Diff Whack Daddy said:
So the interference with the e-brake mechanism? Would you say that axles about 1/4 of an inch longer would solve the problem? Also, where do you get all your axle measurments from?

Yes, I would say the a 1/4 inch more would solve the broblem, or countersink the studs on the axles. I'm not sure what measurments you mean? For the axle it self, or for the brake fitment?

I was talking about all the measurements actually. I did find out though that the
97-99 F150 Right axle is 31-3/4" and the left is 33-3/8" where for a 87-96 F150/Bronco the right is 31-1/16" and the left is 33-3/16". That's 11/16th" on the right longer and 3/16th" longer on the left. You would have to redrill the axles for the 5x5.5" wheel bolt pattern, but would that be enough on the right side. I am not sure why they are longer, but I also found out that if a 97 and up f-150 has rear disk brakes, it's probably a sterling 9.75" axle. If it's not, than where can I find the brackets for the 8.8?

I am asking because I might be doing the same thing soon and axles are cheaper than the conversion kit that uses chevy calipers which is all I can find, both on brocograveyard and the link you posted.

Can you also elaborate a little on what is keeping the rotor from seating all the way on the axle flange. Would machining the axle flange or the disk make it sit on there better?

Diff Whack Daddy said:
but I also found out that if a 97 and up f-150 has rear disk brakes, it's probably a sterling 9.75" axle.

You are correct, it is a Sterling 9.75". It also has the metric 5X135mm bolt pattern, so if you were going to redrill the axles to 5X5.5, you would have to redrill the rotors also. Or else have different bolt patterns front and rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stretch said:
You are correct, it is a Sterling 9.75". It also has the metric 5X135mm bolt pattern, so if you were going to redrill the axles to 5X5.5, you would have to redrill the rotors also. Or else have different bolt patterns front and rear.

It's not a Sterling, it's a Ford 9.75. The 9.75 rears were available on all the 5.4L engines from 97-up. Most of them were discs IIRC. The only F-150s with the sterling axle were the F-250 LD or the F-150 7700lb payload package. Those came with a Sterling 10.25 rear axle to support the extra weight, and used a 7-lug axle shaft and wheel.

-Joe

Back