Fabbing rear Spoiler

CobraXP

Just another White X
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City
Year, Model & Trim Level
Early 97 X
Started working on the second Kia Sedona spoiler again. The first one was half done when it met an unfortunate demise at the hands of my wife's Escape tires (laying on the garage floor when she pulled in and didn't see it... :rolleyes: )

Getting it in the mail:

Spoiler07.jpg

Spoiler05.jpg

This is how long it is before being cut:

Spoiler03.jpg

Cut in half to take the length out:

Spoiler08.jpg

Spacer added to hold it together (and where I cut a little too much out):

Spoiler11.jpg

Spoiler10.jpg

Put back together:

Spoiler14.jpg

Measuring for getting the edges to fit:

Spoiler12.jpg

Spoiler16.jpg

Spoiler17.jpg

Hopefully I can get it finished up this weekend. I've got to fill in the holes on the door from the OEM spoiler before I mount it and glass in the edges to give it a seemless look. We'll see how it comes out...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool! I want to see how this goes. :D

Looks pretty nice so far. Should look great once it's all done. :cool:

oh my..after i saw this i said i have to have it. it looks so awsomly clean. i have to get one it looks so nice.

great job!! its awsome!

Looking good David, you won't need an XP8 rear wing like we others are planning to build. Plus you final cost will be way under $400. Regards,

You are probably right JT... :p

Too bad its already at the painter's or I might have taken you up on that... :D

These are of the day I dropped it off at the painter's. They have since done the final prep on all the glass work and smoothed all the edges out. It's now primed and they are spraying the first coat today.

Fiberglassed07.jpg

Fiberglassed02.jpg

Yeah, its going back pearl white. I didn't feel like pulling the engine again to get the bay painted, and if I would have painted it a different color and left it white, it would drive me nuts.

Once I get the paint done, the TM headers on and a tune on it, new carpet coming, and the windows retinted, its about done for a while. I've got a 46 Ford 2 door Coupe wating on me to do something with, and I need a new garage to build it in. The 46 will get the good paint job once the new garage is built.... :D

oh my god! that is AWSOME!

i love it...what did you do with the rear bumper? i really like how smooth it looks along with everything else it makes for a really clean truck!

Thats Crazzy Shhht ANY PICS OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT?

The X is still at the paint shop. 'Suppose to' put the first coat on today. I'm going up there at lunch and will try and catch a few pics.

I decided not to glass it into the hatch. Because of the way it mounts, there would be too much of a chance for the glass or filler to spider and crack. We ended up just filling in the bottom to match the contour of the hatch and then sanding/filling the edges for a good look. I think this is a better idea anyway incase something ever happened, I could easily get another one and make it again.

Well, it will be awhile for me, but as soon as I get get my roof rack removed correctly, I'm going to need one of these,then the smoothed bumper, then paint.
I won't copy the color though, mine will be black, and it's a mounty,but you got the look I'm after completely man. Good job

96limitedX said:
oh my god! that is AWSOME!

i love it...what did you do with the rear bumper? i really like how smooth it looks along with everything else it makes for a really clean truck!

Thanks for the compliments. I had chrome bumpers, but fiberglassed the EE airdam to the front bumper, then fiberglassed and smoothed the rear. Rex (the guy at the painter's shop) has finished the final layer on them and cleaned all the corners up. They look a lot better now. Hopefully the X will come out like the picture I have in my head... :)

Coming along David, take good care of it.

jtsmith, there are a collection of Explorer/Mountaineer owners who are trying to support having a rear wing made similar to the Saleen obsolete part. Run a google search for it if you are interested in a wing. Regards,

jtsmith said:
Update on rear wing,
False hopes it seems
How much does the Kia spoiler cost? I think I'll try this

I've got to talk to Adam (the guy having the Saleen wing replicated) anyway, so I'll see how his project is coming.

The Kia wing from SpoilerDepot.com was around $175 shipped to my door. Add maybe $25 of materials to fiberglass and filler to it. Mine was painted with the X, so I don't have a price for just paint.

Either way, its still cheaper than anyone is going to have a Saleen wing reproduced for.

This is it painted. I don't have any pics of the X put back together yet though - Hopefully today or tomorrow.

Body%20Shop23.jpg

The wing and truck are finally painted and put back together (well - sort of). The X is still at the shop because we are redoing the rear splash panels, but here are pics of the wing on the X:

Body%20Shop36.jpg

Body%20Shop37.jpg

Body%20Shop40.jpg

Here is the rest of the X. I've got a few details to work on when it gets back - plus redo the splash panels on the rear, but they should look the same when its done.

Body%20Shop43.jpg

Body%20Shop46.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back