Factory vs after market | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory vs after market

Been driving an Explorer since 2010. Getting close to pulling the trigger on an Explorer.

Looking for one with a tow package. Are the factory install packages any better then the after market versions?

Thx
Russ in Naperville, IL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you looking into a new Explorer, or what year?

Yes, new. Or perhaps a 2016.

If you are looking for another vehicle, you might as well find one with a tow package vs adding one. You'll save a lot of hassle from installing the lights and hitch.

if you're going to tow, you'll want an older explorer, imo trucks are trucks and cars are cars

If your 2010 is a V6, then moving to a newer model won't affect your towing ability very much. 2010 V6 was up to 5500 lbs with tow package, while 2011+ is up to 5000 with tow package. But if your 2010 is a V8 with the factory tow package, I recommend you keep it as a dedicated tow vehicle, and find another fuel efficient vehicle (if you need to) as your daily driver. V8 with tow package is a great tow vehicle, up to 7300 lbs.

As far as factory or aftermarket, I'd always recommend factory if you can, especially if it's a matter of axle gearing or alternate radiators. If the components to be updated is only for trailer light wiring, additional trans cooling, or even trailer brake wiring, that not a big deal. Likewise for a class 3 receiver. Aftermarket is fine.

What are you looking to tow with it?

I'm also looking at the options for towing, factory/ dealer add on vs aftermarket. I'd prefer it to look and be as close to factory as possible but am unsure how close I can get it and if it's worth the cost of it. Can anyone here give me a price of what they spent to add it on to their 2016 Explorer? I have a 2016 Explorer Limited and would like it to look factory, with the new bumper so it's hidden and would also want the tow button on the dash. If anyone can give me a price and their thoughts on it when they did it, I'd greatly appreciate it. Or is it too much and not worth the hassle and I should just go aftermarket ?

Back