FAKRWEE Navajo 44 swap | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FAKRWEE Navajo 44 swap

My new front end got in today. It's a custom Dynatrac 44 front axle assembly.

List of goodies include:
Reverse cut housing upgrade
Warn premium manual locking hub set
30 spline 3/4 ton alloy steel axles
Upgraded Disc brake Ass. 5.5.5
Ford coil spring bracketry
5:13 gears-reverse cut
ARB 3.92+ ver.
1310 dana 44 u-bolt style yoke
Heavy duty ends package
Heavy duty steel dif. cover
High clearance steering package
Width= 62 in.

I saved my pennies for quite awhile to be able to afford it but she's a beauty. I almost feel like not installing it.

I hope the pictures come out my battery started going dead.

The installer is fourxDr. in Burbank and Winter's designing the radius arms. We know they will be wristed but will not have pin's like bc broncos. I'll include pictures as we go along. Today they took apart the front end. I'm hoping the job will take about a month.:bounce:

Attachments

• left side 1.jpg
    left side 1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,967

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And in honor of the good Doc I'm posting his Heep. There's rumors he might swap it for an Explorer:D

Attachments

• 20-doc\'s jeep.jpg
    20-doc\'s jeep.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 468

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Here you can see why.:p Thanks DOC.

Attachments

• 19-tom & mikes.jpg
    19-tom & mikes.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 471

Thanks for the pics of the engine crossmember. Those will help mucho!
It looks like they used some 3/4" or 1" tubing. Looks real clean.
And again, sweet setup. Can't wait to see some action pics!
Now I just have to get mine done!

Dean

Posted earlier in thread

Alot earlier in this thread I had asked a question about the crossmember. Why not make the engine crossmember a bolt in two or three piece? , removable center section. Without suspension parts hanging on it, it looks like it could be channeled with a removable center section so oil pan could be removed. And create alot more space. Y both sides with flat or u style bolt in center section???:hammer:

Hey ALYZ1FLR,

Yes, that is possible, and would be a good idea, as far as oil pan access is concerned. The lower removable section would need to be strong, since the engine mounts are attached to the upper portion of the existing crossmember. As long as the forward most crossmember (just behind the bumper) is retained or replaced, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Actually, I might just do that with mine!

Dean

Hey AL, we thought about it, but to have one made was just going to be too costly for me in manhours vs how many times do you have to pull the oil pan. In 35 years I've never had to remove the oilpan in any of my rigs.
If your doing it yourself and know what your doing it's doable. I had to cut cost somewhere. One thing about having someone do your rig is cost overruns are crazy:confused:

Good luck Dean. When are you posting some pics:D

Hey Tom,

I'll be posting pics when I get my web site updated. For now there are just some older pic:
Dead Link Removed

I just moved the truck from my driveway into my friends shop. We'll be doing the steering and trackbar this weekend, plus some other things.

I will try to get some pics soon and someone can post them for me.

Dean

Great looking site Dean. When you get a thread going send me the pics and I'll post them for you.

tom, what are you doing for a sparetire?

Again, that is the coolest rig on here!

Thanks Kirby. I don't know where I'm putting the spare yet. I'd like to keep it inside for balance.

The Doc just sent me these new pics.

Attachments

• dsc_0002.jpg
    dsc_0002.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 407

another.

Attachments

• dsc_0005.jpg
    dsc_0005.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 459

Attachments

• dsc_0023.jpg
    dsc_0023.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 404

Attachments

• dsc_0014.jpg
    dsc_0014.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 399

Very impressive Tom, what is the advantage of using dual shocks in the rear?

Happy trails!!

Thanks Josh.
I use the double shocks to control body sway on the navajo. Being a 2 door it tends to sway a little more than 4 doors. On my old set up I had 2 shocks on each corner all the way around and didn't need sway bars even with the 35's. Another thing that helped avoid body sway was installing the gas tank in the rear where the spare used to go. Rock Krawling is little things that just add up.

I just got home from going up to LA with Tom to pick up his Navajo. And I gotta tell ya, it looks good in the pictures, but it's absolutely insane in person! :eek:

Thanks Ranger for the favor. I owe you one. Maiden voyage will be T-H next week.:D

Well, I read all 13 pages of this thread and I'm jealous and confused. First was this truck IFS originally not TTB? And if it was actually a ttb and IFS was just a typo how much of the custom work is REQUIRED to make a SAS work (bare minimum). I've got a chance to do a SAS with a 9inch in the rear as well. Why doesn't anybody do this? Any finally what what the final tally? You've got a great rig going I hope it serves you well!:)

Originally posted by zensius
I've got a chance to do a SAS with a 9inch in the rear as well. Why doesn't anybody do this?

Because a SAS only affects the front axle :D Swapping the rear is not nessasary. Besides the 8.8" is a very strong axle which can handle 37's in stock form.

Rick, I understand that the 8.8 is plenty strong enough but the advantage to using the 9 is that
1. it's the same width as the d44 that I was gonna leave uncut.
2. It's already got the matching gearset in it.
3. It's basically free with my d44.

Back