Fan clutch removal problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch removal problem.

Todd R

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996xplorer
Hello, I am trying to replace my water pump due to a slow leak on my 96 explores v-6. I worked on it yesterday and realized we needed the special tool to remove the bolt because of clearance problems. I went and got the loaner kit from advanced auto parts and all of the wrenched were too large. We were thinking of getting a piece of flat steel and cutting one to fit. Can anyone tell me what size that nut is, or have an inexpensive source for the tool? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks, Todd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or a big cresent wrench and a hammer

Just did this on our '92 a couple weeks ago. My neighbor showed me another way to do it..

We left the serpentine belt on and took a big long punch and a 3-5 lbs sledge and hit it on the edge of the nut. 3 hits and viola, it was off.

~Mark

you can borrow the Ford w/p wrench set from Autozone, Advance or O'Reilly's. the deposit required is small.

We left the serpentine belt on and took a big long punch and a 3-5 lbs sledge and hit it on the edge of the nut. 3 hits and viola, it was off.

What did the water pump bearings had to say about that? :)

So far nothing on our X and he has been doing it for 30 years (owned a shop before he retired to Az) and never had a come back due to a water pump going out soon after.

~Mark

Yes that looks like the set. the smallest wrench was 36mm and the was too large.

And after looking at the second link (very helpful by the way thank you) it should be a 36mm so after talking to my buddy who is helping with this we think that it must have an after market nut on it, or the wrench was rounded. It did look used but not that bad. we did think of tapping it out and that remains an option but I think we are going to put a caliper on it and make a tool to fit. I probably won't get back to it until Sunday.

Thank you al for your help and any other ides will be of help as well.

Hey Todd, did you have any luck with this yet? Ive rented that set as well and the 36 mm is too large for mine as well. I even went as far as buying the set thats for Ford's and it was too large as well.

AMPRO T75508
(ford fan clutch wrench set)

$20 shipped on ebay

:)

Unfortunately that won't work. 1 7/16" is bigger than 36MM.

So a tech at my local Ford dealership was nice enough to loan me his set of Blue Point fan clutch tools this morning and his 36mm fit perfectly. I'd say the rental set must be worn out but the new one off the shelf was the same so there must be another opinion on just how big 36mm is in some companies eyes.

I to use Maniak's method, except I use a long punch in an air hammer. Works like a charm. It will not damage the pump bearings as the impact goes to the nut when it pops loose.

+1 I've used that method too. Just as long as you are hitting the corners of the nut, it will be fine.

So a tech at my local Ford dealership was nice enough to loan me his set of Blue Point fan clutch tools this morning and his 36mm fit perfectly. I'd say the rental set must be worn out but the new one off the shelf was the same so there must be another opinion on just how big 36mm is in some companies eyes.

That is what happened with me as well. I retuned the first one and got one from o'riellys (brand new) and it worked fine.

Back