• Register Today It's free!

Fault Code Trouble

JrGator

Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey everybody. I'm trying to get some help with resolving an issue. So I was running 5 DTC's, MAF sensor, bank 1 fuel trim, bank 2 fuel trim, bank 1 O2 sensor, and bank 2 O2 sensor. I cleaned my MAF sensor out in hopes it would clear all of the codes, it did for a few days. After doing some driving, my check light comes on again. I had it scanned again, and 3 of those codes came back up. The remaining codes are the trim codes and the bank 2 O2 sensor. I'm not sure if i might need to replace the O2 sensors or what. Any help from a more knowledged/experienced member would be appreciated.

Thanks, JrGator

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

more information

It will be difficult for anyone to help without more information.
Which V6? Do you have the OHV V6 or the SOHC V6?
Lean or Rich fuel trims?
What type of O2 sensor codes? There are 36 possible codes from P0130 to P0167.

It would be best if you just post the actual codes.

4.0 OHV. The trim codes are P0171 and P0174, but the code explanation doesn't specify which one, just "rich or lean." The O2 sensor code is P0153, bank 2 sensor 1. I can post pictures of the printouts if needed. When I cleaned the MAF, the build-up was white/gray, which would indicate running lean. Sorry for the lack of info, the previous attempt to post that had everything didn't go through. I was barely awake and just wanted to get this posted and going. Let me know if any more info is needed. Thanks.

4.0 OHV. The trim codes are P0171 and P0174, but the code explanation doesn't specify which one, just "rich or lean." The O2 sensor code is P0153, bank 2 sensor 1. I can post pictures of the printouts if needed. When I cleaned the MAF, the build-up was white/gray, which would indicate running lean. Sorry for the lack of info, the previous attempt to post that had everything didn't go through. I was barely awake and just wanted to get this posted and going. Let me know if any more info is needed. Thanks.

the maf doesn't know rich from lean. it just measures air flow. your codes (P0171 and P0174) indicate lean on banks 1 & 2. these codes are usually vacuum leak related. you didn't touch the maf when you cleaned it did you? did you use maf cleaner?

P0153 indicates a slow O2 sensor.

I understand that the MAF doesn't read rich or lean, but from what I've been told by others with experience is that if the MAF is a white dirty it's a leaner mixture, darker dirt(soot) is rich. I only touched the outside of the MAF housing and used CRC MAF cleaner. As for the O2 sensors, should i try cleaning them first? I've heard that if the sensor is dirty, it'll throw a code, but I just wanted to be sure before investing time and energy. Thanks.

check your fuel filter first low fuel psi can cause both banks running lean wouldnt be caused by one 02 sensor take fuel filter off and blow through it if you have a hard time after the fuel is out change it you should be able to blow through it with ease. and as previously mentioned vacuum leaks spray carb cleaner around intake while its idling and see if idle changes if you have plastic upper intake pay attention to the egr tube entering the intake behind the throttle body they can cause a good size vacuum leak and where upper intake bolts to lower intake. oring gaskets leak there also. If you can test the fuel psi that would be a big help also to rule that out.

I understand that the MAF doesn't read rich or lean, but from what I've been told by others with experience is that if the MAF is a white dirty it's a leaner mixture, darker dirt(soot) is rich. I only touched the outside of the MAF housing and used CRC MAF cleaner. As for the O2 sensors, should i try cleaning them first? I've heard that if the sensor is dirty, it'll throw a code, but I just wanted to be sure before investing time and energy. Thanks.

I don't know who told you that about the maf sensor, but it sounds like total BS to me. if you've got 100k-120k on your on 02 sensors, it's time to replace them. you can't clean them.

Alright, I will definatley run those tests, but it'll probably be Friday by the time I can do it though. I definitely appreciate the help so far and to come.

I don't know who told you that about the maf sensor, but it sounds like total BS to me. if you've got 100k-120k on your on 02 sensors, it's time to replace them. you can't clean them.

I have just over 207,000 on the truck. I'll look into replacing my O2 sensors by inspection time, my primary concern are the trim codes. The MAF code is fixed and of no concern, it was just included for background info/breif code history.

Back