• Register Today It's free!

Faulty 110v outlet?

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I sometimes charge my iPhone 5 by plugging the wall charger into the 110v outlet on my ex. Occasionally, the outlet looses power [I can tell because my phone makes a sound when it starts to charge]. It quickly looses power then gets power back again. This happens in rapid succession about 5-7 times in a row. Anyone else have this problem? The outlet seems a little loose... Could it be an alternator problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I sometimes charge my iPhone 5 by plugging the wall charger into the 110v outlet on my ex. Occasionally, the outlet looses power [I can tell because my phone makes a sound when it starts to charge]. It quickly looses power then gets power back again. This happens in rapid succession about 5-7 times in a row. Anyone else have this problem? The outlet seems a little loose... Could it be an alternator problem?

With apple chargers, always account for the charger being the problem.

I found mine loose also. It does not grip the plug very tightly....especially 2-prong plugs. I spread the prongs slightly and it would grip better. I eventually bought a short 3-prong extension and plug into the receptacle end of that. The 3-prong plug of the extension holds very well.

...car is running while you charge right?

I had the same problem with mine. The prongs were loose on the inside of the outlet. They spread out and there is nothing to bring back the tension. I replaced the plug with a outlet from Home Depot. It has one outlet and two USB plugs. I'll post a pic later. I had to cut it in because the new one is bigger. Doesn't look bad. Works a whole lot better.

I have a '13 XLT. Do I have this 110 outlet somewhere in my car? If I do, I have never seen it or been told about it by the dealer.

I have a '13 XLT. Do I have this 110 outlet somewhere in my car? If I do, I have never seen it or been told about it by the dealer.
Unless things have changed since the 2011 model came out, the 110V outlet was only on the Limited model. It is located on the back of the center console.

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0454a.jpg
    DSC_0454a.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2,548

if i did it right...The inside of a 110V plug.

DSC03938_zps9b403f98.jpg

ok. good. Those prongs get separated to a point that they don't make contact. This one is the warranty replacement. We have two boys with elec. toys. They (try) to use this plug a lot. I squeezed the right prong together but decided on a different idea. The left is how I found it when i took it apart.

More pics. I cut the new plug in that i bought from Home Depot. **When picking out a plug, make sure its at least a 1.5 OUTPUT amp rated plug** The one you see in the pic is 2.0 amp output. The more amps output equals a faster charge. The iPhone charger is rated at 1.5 amp's for charging. The new plug has a weeks time in service after installation. So far so good.

It should be noted that the green LED serves a purpose for the technician. It flashes a code to alert a problem. At this point I don't care. The thing works better than ever. Hope this helps.

DSC03935_zpsad14c6f2.jpg

DSC03932_zps8842c98f.jpg
DSC03928_zps0c60dfbd.jpg

The green wires are from the DVD players that, as you guessed, I installed. The Explorer is dirty because we are a on-the-go family;) The screws do look bad. As well as the cut in but like i said... works better than ever.

Pro hopper,
How did you remove the old one?

Not to nitpick but the outlet that you purchased is a 15 amp outlet and not a 1.5 amp one

A 20 amp out let would also have a T type of a prong on the left hand side with the T laying on its side.

They don't make 1.5 or 2.0 amp electrical outlets. Also more amps does not equal a faster charge in this type of case. Your charger is rated for a certain amount of amps or watts and will only draw that many no matter what it is plugged into unless it is faulty.

Prohopper has done a fine job here. I also follow function over form.

Back