Faulty Lift Gate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Faulty Lift Gate

Carldonn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer LTD 2011
Has anyone experienced the total frustration with the automatic lift gate! ?Has been to Ford service on three occasions and still not fixed. The gate will open sometimes and then not shut, so has to be shut manually, then the lift gate open light is on until the ignition is turned off, other time it won't open at all!, because their is no manual way to open it is really becoming frustrating, both because Ford has not been able to isolate and correct and my wife is extremely irate...........and we all know what that means.

If anyone has experienced this and found issue, any info greatly appreciated, so far they changed the Liftgate motor and added a water guard
thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone experienced the total frustration with the automatic lift gate! ?Has been to Ford service on three occasions and still not fixed. The gate will open sometimes and then not shut, so has to be shut manually, then the lift gate open light is on until the ignition is turned off, other time it won't open at all!, because their is no manual way to open it is really becoming frustrating, both because Ford has not been able to isolate and correct and my wife is extremely irate...........and we all know what that means.

If anyone has experienced this and found issue, any info greatly appreciated, so far they changed the Liftgate motor and added a water guard
thx
There are a few threads on liftgate issues but none like yours.
Has anyone attempted the liftgate reset as laid out in the Owner's Guide?
Also, you should be able to manually open the liftgate if the vehicle is not locked by simply pressing on the button in the handle of the liftgate.

Peter

Hi peter

Thx for quick response but yes I have done on many occasions follow the reset as in manual, and no it will not open by button on the handle open to anymore and all suggestions

Make sure you hit the door lock button twice to unlock all doors. If only the drivers door is unlocked and the rest are locked the hatch handle button is blocked. I found that out after a few times when my hatch button would not work.

Make sure you hit the door lock button twice to unlock all doors. If only the drivers door is unlocked and the rest are locked the hatch handle button is blocked. I found that out after a few times when my hatch button would not work.
It should not matter if one door or all doors are locked. The liftgate should open. I can open mine by pressing the button on the handle with all doors locked or only the driver's door unlocked. The same goes for using the fob. The liftgate operates independently of the 4 doors. I have opened the liftgate numerous times when all 4 doors were locked. Then when you close the gate, it automatically locks again. I'm afraid Carldonn has a more serious problem.

Peter

Not on my '13....if you only unlock the drivers door (one Fob button press) it only unlocks the drivers door and all others doors remain locked to include the hatch release button. That is what it states in my owners manual. If you want to open the hatch you have to press the Fob button twice to allow the exterior hatch release button to work.

Not on my '13....if you only unlock the drivers door (one Fob button press) it only unlocks the drivers door and all others doors remain locked to include the hatch release button. That is what it states in my owners manual. If you want to open the hatch you have to press the Fob button twice to allow the exterior hatch release button to work.
Perhaps they have changed the way it works. If that is the case, I would consider it a backward step. In any case, the OP has a 2011 so it should work just like mine.

EDIT: Just checked both Owner's Guides and from what I can see both state the same thing about opening the liftgate. I may have missed it, but I didn't see where it says that the 4 doors have to be unlocked in order to be able to open the liftgate. The statement that I have put in 'Bold' below, seems to indicate that if you have the IA key within range, the liftgate will automatically unock if you press the button on its handle. From page 80;

To open with the outside liftgate
control button:

1. Unlock the liftgate with the remote
control or power door unlock control.
If the intelligent access transmitter is
within 3 feet (1 meter) of the liftgate,
the liftgate will unlock when you
press the liftgate release button

Peter

Well of course if you have a Limited...I have an XLT so control will be different

Well of course if you have a Limited...I have an XLT so control will be different
Okay, I didn't check that. My bad. The OP also has the 2011 Limited so his should function the way mine does. Thanks.

Peter

Has anyone experienced the total frustration with the automatic lift gate!...

Hi Carldonn,

Send a PM my way so I can look into ways to assist. To get things moving in the right direction, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Back