Rear lift gate physically won't close | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear lift gate physically won't close

cdooer

Reaction score
City, State
Osgoode, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Hey folks. New to the forum, did a search but couldn't find anything that seemed related. Last night I left to play a men's league hockey game. Opened the power lift gate on our '18 Explorer Sport using the button on the lift gate, put my equipment in, then pressed the button to close it. The Explorer beeped like the lift gate was closing, only it wasn't. The gate was stuck open, and I mean stuck. I couldn't even close it manually, seemed something on the strut was jammed.

Got home from hockey, removed the left side strut, and the door came down. Could this be something as simple as a faulty strut that's jammed, or could there be electronics involved? Thx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it's more likely the strut failed, but you can use a multimeter to measure for power at the connector to it, to see if power is being applied while dinging. Looks like it might be pins 1 & 4 on the connector, unless it changed over the years.

I'm not sure of all the things that can go wrong otherwise. Linked in my sig is a workshop manual for a 2014 with both wiring diagrams and troubleshooting info if it didn't change between '14 and '18. If you have a scan tool capable of Ford-specific codes, there are some codes that might get set, also listed in the aforementioned workshop manual.

Yes it's more likely the strut failed, but you can use a multimeter to measure for power at the connector to it, to see if power is being applied while dinging. Looks like it might be pins 1 & 4 on the connector, unless it changed over the years.

I'm not sure of all the things that can go wrong otherwise. Linked in my sig is a workshop manual for a 2014 with both wiring diagrams and troubleshooting info if it didn't change between '14 and '18. If you have a scan tool capable of Ford-specific codes, there are some codes that might get set, also listed in the aforementioned workshop manual.
Thank you very much for the response. When I try to close it, it's definitely trying to move, as it jerks a bit. Which makes me think it's trying to close, but the strut is jammed or something.

Thank you very much for the response. When I try to close it, it's definitely trying to move, as it jerks a bit. Which makes me think it's trying to close, but the strut is jammed or something.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Which one did you remove? The actuator (motor) or the support cylinder?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Which one did you remove? The actuator (motor) or the support cylinder?

Peter
It’s the one on the drivers side, with the wire sticking out of it. I assume it’s all one unit?

Back