• Register Today It's free!

Few New tools.. try not to drool

Savage Wolf

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Airy, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport v8 5.0
just got my order in from www.tylertool.com, ordering shipping and tracking was good though them, fedex on the other hand :fire: dropped my order off at someone elses house (right address, wrong street) but that was easy to fix here are the pics of the new toys, plus some pics of my welding cart/rig (bought the welding gear last year)
18volt cordless impact gun, 14" dry cut chop saw, and drill doctor 750
Redtools.jpg

Close up of the Dry Cut saw
chop.jpg

The welding cart, Hypertherm plasma cutter and Miller Dynasty 200dx Tig/Stick welder
bluetools.jpg

Closeup shot of the Miller tig box and you can see my auto darkening mask
tigger.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yer Gonna love that Drill doc, great tool

spindlecone said:
Yer Gonna love that Drill doc, great tool

Yeah I have been getting fed up not having sharp drill bits, when i was putting my welding cart together i ended up drilling holes with the plasma rig :D

Brian1 said:
Sweet! I have the 18v Milwaukee impact and love it, you will too. I wish I had that dry cut chopsaw! Those things are awesome. Looks like you are well equipped now.

yeah the impact gun is a beast, used it on my truck today, as for the dry cut it will get a workout later this week when i finally make the sliders for my truck
now if my damn tube bender would get here i would be happy

:smoke: the 27's lived for that day atleast, still havent tryed the saw out, my square stock is somewhere under a foot of snow and ice next to the shop and the inside of the shop is still a wreck right now :rolleyes:

How do you like the chop saw?

I was too cheap to buy a real metal chop saw so I just bought a metal cutting wheel for this old, beat-up 8" Makita compound mitre saw I had layin around. It works pretty good for the small stuff I've cut with it. The real test will be when I go to cut the 3/4"x3" shackle mounts for my rear bumper...

I was also thinking about sticking a 7-1/4" metal cutting wheel in an old circular saw and using it to rip cut 1/4" steel. Has anyone tried this?

dont do it if the saw has any plastic parts on it they will melt

yosh18981898 said:
How do you like the chop saw?

I was too cheap to buy a real metal chop saw so I just bought a metal cutting wheel for this old, beat-up 8" Makita compound mitre saw I had layin around. It works pretty good for the small stuff I've cut with it. The real test will be when I go to cut the 3/4"x3" shackle mounts for my rear bumper...

I was also thinking about sticking a 7-1/4" metal cutting wheel in an old circular saw and using it to rip cut 1/4" steel. Has anyone tried this?

I really dont think either of those would work too well for anything thick (1/4" and up) the dry cut i just got draws < 20amps :eek:
as for the circular saw idea would work but only on 1/8" and thinner sheet metal

EMG7895 said:
dont do it if the saw has any plastic parts on it they will melt

Too late....

I was cutting some 3/8" on the chop saw and the steel started glowing red and the piece I cut off (just a little corner) hit the 1" plastic strip underneath the blade and just sank in as the plastic went up in smoke. But like I said, this saw was an old useless tool because it wouldn't cut anything much bigger than a 2x4 because of the little 8" blade size (we now have a 10" double mitre slide saw that will compound cut 4x6s or 2x12s). Now I'm getting all kinds of use out of it. There's only a little bit of plastic that could melt (and can't affect cutting performance) and the sooner it's all gone and melted the better as far as I'm concerned :D

The reason that 14" saw draws 20 amps is because of the 14" blade. The amount of torque necessary to turn a blade increases exponentially with blade size. The 14" wood saws draw 20 amps as well. The 8" saw I'm using draws about 11 amps. It does fine in 3/8". I've also cut 2" pipe with it...

yosh18981898 said:

I tryed that using a black decker cheap saw. I was cutting 5/16 and it didnt work to well. For now i just use a cut off wheel on my hand grinder for anything that wont fit in my band saw. I would love to get a plasma cutter soon though.

I got a miter saw for christmas and i use it soley for a chop saw. I replaced some plastic for some metal and it works terrific, i love it. I also use my 2 HP circular saw for cutting, it works great. Went through some 3/8's angle like it was butter.

I'm jealous of your plasma cutter, i want one of those so bad!

yosh18981898 said:
Too late....

I was cutting some 3/8" on the chop saw and the steel started glowing red and the piece I cut off (just a little corner) hit the 1" plastic strip underneath the blade and just sank in as the plastic went up in smoke. But like I said, this saw was an old useless tool because it wouldn't cut anything much bigger than a 2x4 because of the little 8" blade size (we now have a 10" double mitre slide saw that will compound cut 4x6s or 2x12s). Now I'm getting all kinds of use out of it. There's only a little bit of plastic that could melt (and can't affect cutting performance) and the sooner it's all gone and melted the better as far as I'm concerned :D

The reason that 14" saw draws 20 amps is because of the 14" blade. The amount of torque necessary to turn a blade increases exponentially with blade size. The 14" wood saws draw 20 amps as well. The 8" saw I'm using draws about 11 amps. It does fine in 3/8". I've also cut 2" pipe with it...
yea ive done that before and forgot to do the obvious: remove the full dust bag.:smoke:

How about a 10" metal cutting wheel in a 10" table saw designed for wood? That will be my next adventure... :D

plasma cutter rules... unless you need to cut a peice of angle iron, cant get the cuts straight to save my life with the thing, but cutting sheet steel or plate its nice
also I finally used the dry cut saw some, cut 5"x5" x1/4" angle iron fast as my miter saw can cut a 2x4 :p

yosh18981898 said:
How about a 10" metal cutting wheel in a 10" table saw designed for wood? That will be my next adventure... :D

I don't think i would try this. With a miter saw or a chop saw you work your way through the middle of the metal and put pressure down, with a table saw you are pushing the material through the blade, so that could result in some severe kick back.

Plamsa cutters take some work. We have one at the National Guard where i work and i love it. If you have a big enough area of what you are cutting, you can get like a stick of steel or something and C clamp it to the material you are cutting and it works good since you can guide your cutting head along the C clamped piece

Another question,

If I take my 180 amp stick welder and put an aluminum spike in it in place of a welding rod can I use it to cut steel? I quess it would make kind of a plasma cutter. I can almost cut steel with it using a regular welding rod. I figure without the flux I won't have the steel getting welded together and just getting burned away.

Would this work, or am I dreaming?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yosh18981898 said:
Another question,

If I take my 180 amp stick welder and put an aluminum spike in it in place of a welding rod can I use it to cut steel? I quess it would make kind of a plasma cutter. I can almost cut steel with it using a regular welding rod. I figure without the flux I won't have the steel getting welded together and just getting burned away.

Would this work, or am I dreaming?
well.... no
welding rod is usualy steel, at 180 amps you get "blow through" which is how the plasma cutter works, the aluminum spike will just melt real fast or maybe do something worse, if you really have yer heart set on using your stick welder as a cutting tool, get a gouging kit for it

Back