Finally, custom exhaust complete...time to show it off... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally, custom exhaust complete...time to show it off...

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I know what I did is a bit controversial. I pretty much (ok, not pretty much, but I DID) went straight pipe all the way back. No cats, no mufflers, no resonators, only and x-pipe. Results are interesting and I'll be running it through its paces to see how it does, power-wise. I am finally able to get away from the last bit of LMS parts I had on this car (full turboback system), or should I say re-branded Corsa system, LOL.

A guy named Alex Gutierrez who has a shop named Big Head Motorsports. Super talented welder. Only online presence he has is IG, check him out at @bigheadcars. He does a lot of high end drag race stuff. And his shop is 3 minutes from my house...that was sweet! I'm going to tag him to do a lot of my future work, i.e., turbo manifolds, IC end tanks (since no one makes any IC for our platform), and maybe something trick with the intake system.

It's 3" all the way to a set of 3" bellows, then transitions to 2.5". There's an x-pipe right after the bellows and then out to the back and ends up with a 4" tip. Used 321 stainless on the test pipes as it retains heat better than 304 stainless, thus making the need for ceramic coating unnecessary. The system is 304SS for everything past the bellows.

But make no mistake, this thing is pretty loud. However, drone is non-existent, it isn't raspy at all and has good bass and tone to it. It's just LOUD, lol. Which I don't mind so much, but I will definitely get judged more harshly during the times I don't perform well in a match-up, haha.

Anyway, nervous to show it off to you guys. What do you guys think? The quality of workmanship is out of this world. It's built for performance and maintenance will be easy with all the v-band clamps I used instead of slip-fits and flange joints.

E_aBunLEbvltWQ?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

IchLukqSMu-Fw?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

B2RWMCRy6ba9A?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

UI9hqcHJVgz-9g?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

cZfaA6x6EjcMww?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

_uPpZZ8DEBvEmA?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

y3CFKoOfx5dOEg?width=498&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

TmdA3whLLcGuNQ?width=1024&height=498&cropmode=none.jpg

ZjJrVFSEq5IUng?width=1024&height=498&cropmode=none.jpg

JjcgMeSdv0-8BQ?width=498&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

ANLyVNjg8-qPQQ?width=1024&height=498&cropmode=none.jpg

jx7jtbFWUaqQ3g?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

kb5IGww7BjufjQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg

0WQtRhbXWZO2Rw?width=1024&height=498&cropmode=none.jpg

y7zE9aolOIUCiw?width=1024&height=498&cropmode=none.jpg

rxywNypDMgmH3w?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

deQW2NJqMkQL6Q?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice write-up and photos. I wonder how long until you get your first ticket? ;)

Peter

Craftsmanship is outstanding. (just dont care for straight pipe)

Nice write-up and photos. I wonder how long until you get your first ticket? ;)

Peter
Thanks...and I don't care. There's plenty other loud cars out here. You gotta pay to play, right?

I have to agree - the craftsmanship, the attention to detail is showing in some beautiful work.

So, when all is done, you now have a rather loud Explorer, let's put that aside. What do you see in performance and mpg? Beside the increase in noise, what does all that work truthfully provide?

I have to agree - the craftsmanship, the attention to detail is showing in some beautiful work.

So, when all is done, you now have a rather loud Explorer, let's put that aside. What do you see in performance and mpg? Beside the increase in noise, what does all that work truthfully provide?

Ah, finally, an intelligent question! Interesting what everyone is taking away from my post (loud exhaust). I don't post much on this site as it doesn't really feel very "performance" oriented, so I spend 90% of my forum time on the SHO pages as they are taking this 3.5L engine to some interesting places. I come here from time to time to share some things I've done /discovered with the rest of the Explorer family.

But I digress. That being said, thank you for asking. Well, this isn't just to have "a loud Explorer". Not sure if you guys are following my build but I'm pushing the limits of this platform with a lot going into it. Let's put one thing to rest, I have no desire to manage MPG, there is no interest in me to worry at all about it, so no consideration of any of my modifications take this into account. But you asked the right question...what performance gain?

Anyway, this wasn't a willy-nilly, slapped together exhaust system. It was carefully thought out with my current and upcoming modifications taken into consideration. There is still some experimentation going on and I may make changes down the road, but if you know anything about exhaust systems in a boosted application, the goal is to get those exhaust gases out of the cylinder, unloading the crankshaft as much as possible. When talking exhaust systems, back pressure is a silly concept, especially when trying to relate it to said boosted application. Some real issues of concern are things like scavenging and reversion. Here's a pretty decent Gale Banks video explaining some of this. It specifically references diesel engines, but the concept is the same. It's a good watch if you're into "performance", I recommend it.

So I still have some datalogging needed to be done but I am hoping to see my WGDC drop a bit, which will make the ATP turbos boost a bit more efficiently. Whats nice about this exhaust system is, I had modularity in mind when having it made. With all the v-band connection points (no one mentioned those cool little things, so worried about my "loud" exhaust, LOL) I can easily swap in a rear section with some resonators or mufflers installed in minutes and continue my experimentation.

The signature feature on this site won't allow me to make a complete list of everything done to the car, so feel free to follow the build on my IG if you're interested in seeing where this is going. I have no concern for noise, MPG, and my tolerance for creature comfort is limited, this is not my daily driver so I have decided to take my...OUR...platform to some different levels, performance-wise. So we will see where this all takes me....

Thanks for staying tuned.

Brilliant work. Was going to ask why the need for dual 3", but then read the last paragraph above and saw ATP. 👍

Trolled your IG page, have a few questions:

1. Brake upgrades - custom or kit (TCE, etc)?
2. Intercooler plans?
3. Intake - keeping the LMS one or changing?
4. Tuning - who's doing it?

TE-37s.....mmmmm 😍

Brilliant work. Was going to ask why the need for dual 3", but then read the last paragraph above and saw ATP. 👍

Trolled your IG page, have a few questions:

1. Brake upgrades - custom or kit (TCE, etc)?
2. Intercooler plans?
3. Intake - keeping the LMS one or changing?
4. Tuning - who's doing it?

TE-37s.....mmmmm 😍
Thanks!

1) Its the TCE kit meant for the SHO, but the front brake lines were way too long, so had to to do some trial and error to get the right length lines. Folks at TCE are awesome.

2) That's a biggie. There's no real aftermarket one for us, and I've seen a few guys piecemeal a few kits together, but after the excellent experience I've had with Alex (guy who did my exhaust) we've talked about getting ahold of a good garrett core and he can fab some endtanks. Gotta wait til I do some measuring, but for the time being, setting up methanol to assist in keeping IATs down

3) I hate LMS, with such a passion...I know that CAI has their name on it, but it's just a rebranded AirAid kit. I'm taking their label off as I just call it an AirAid kit, lol. But yeah, I'm keeping it. I like that it isn't metal....

4) Brad at AJP Turbo has been doing my tuning. Awesome tuner and I highly recommend him...

Thanks for checking out my build!

Thanks!

1) Its the TCE kit meant for the SHO, but the front brake lines were way too long, so had to to do some trial and error to get the right length lines. Folks at TCE are awesome.

2) That's a biggie. There's no real aftermarket one for us, and I've seen a few guys piecemeal a few kits together, but after the excellent experience I've had with Alex (guy who did my exhaust) we've talked about getting ahold of a good garrett core and he can fab some endtanks. Gotta wait til I do some measuring, but for the time being, setting up methanol to assist in keeping IATs down

3) I hate LMS, with such a passion...I know that CAI has their name on it, but it's just a rebranded AirAid kit. I'm taking their label off as I just call it an AirAid kit, lol. But yeah, I'm keeping it. I like that it isn't metal....

4) Brad at AJP Turbo has been doing my tuning. Awesome tuner and I highly recommend him...

Thanks for checking out my build!

Nice!

1. The rear TCE kit still require grinding? I emailed them once, but they couldn't tell me for sure.
2. I know Matt has one in "development," so hopefully it comes out by end of year. I've seen 3 guys who did custom (2 exp, 1 SHO) on FB pages, but there's no data on theirs yet.
3. Why no PPE dual intake?
4. Brad is well spoken of, but wasn't around when I did mine so I went with Matt.

You should make a build thread or have the mods consolidate any multiple ones.

Nice!

1. The rear TCE kit still require grinding? I emailed them once, but they couldn't tell me for sure.
2. I know Matt has one in "development," so hopefully it comes out by end of year. I've seen 3 guys who did custom (2 exp, 1 SHO) on FB pages, but there's no data on theirs yet.
3. Why no PPE dual intake?
4. Brad is well spoken of, but wasn't around when I did mine so I went with Matt.

You should make a build thread or have the mods consolidate any multiple ones.

1. At the time I installed the kit, yes, but it's so minor, it's pretty much a non-issue.

2. Matt's had that in development for a while now. I've reached out to him on occasion to check on the status but it's not gotten any traction. Who knows, maybe he will surprise us, lol.

3. You mean EPPs kit? If so, I was considering it, but there's an issue with fitment on the ATP turbos that would require a nonexistent specialty coupler that Mike isn't likely to have made as there isn't enough demand.

4. Yeah it was either Brad or Matt for me, Brad was the first who reached back to me. They are both good.

Idk....I'm not on here much, tbh, this forum is very dead. There is way more traffic over on the SHO side. I'm not seeing much "tuning" or "performance" mods going on here outside of shark fin antennas and steeda sway bars. Nothing wrong with that stuff, I'm just looking for those who want to do more. Understandably, the platform doesn't lend itself to the typical "tuner"...so those of us taking the xsport to extremes is pretty few and far between.

The guy is a artist and I wish I had half of his ability. I would love to have him do headers and exhaust on my Mustang but I bet the cost is way up there.

1. At the time I installed the kit, yes, but it's so minor, it's pretty much a non-issue.

2. Matt's had that in development for a while now. I've reached out to him on occasion to check on the status but it's not gotten any traction. Who knows, maybe he will surprise us, lol.

3. You mean EPPs kit? If so, I was considering it, but there's an issue with fitment on the ATP turbos that would require a nonexistent specialty coupler that Mike isn't likely to have made as there isn't enough demand.

4. Yeah it was either Brad or Matt for me, Brad was the first who reached back to me. They are both good.

Idk....I'm not on here much, tbh, this forum is very dead. There is way more traffic over on the SHO side. I'm not seeing much "tuning" or "performance" mods going on here outside of shark fin antennas and steeda sway bars. Nothing wrong with that stuff, I'm just looking for those who want to do more. Understandably, the platform doesn't lend itself to the typical "tuner"...so those of us taking the xsport to extremes is pretty few and far between.

1. I think Lee had a BKK for the SHO, I'm guessing that fits the Exp?
2. More than a few people talked to him lately and were told he's working on it. He had it on delay due to Covid, so hopefully he's working on it again.
3. Sorry, typo
4. Both are excellent!

I'm looking to finish my bolt-ons when/if the intercooler ever gets released. I'll pick up EPP's hot pipes then and there's not much more B/O to do.

Did you ever put a dyno run to get some numbers before and after on the exhaust?

What do you have planned next, drive train upgrades? built block? weight reduction? :thumbsup:

1. I think Lee had a BKK for the SHO, I'm guessing that fits the Exp?
2. More than a few people talked to him lately and were told he's working on it. He had it on delay due to Covid, so hopefully he's working on it again.
3. Sorry, typo
4. Both are excellent!

I'm looking to finish my bolt-ons when/if the intercooler ever gets released. I'll pick up EPP's hot pipes then and there's not much more B/O to do.

1. Yes, I've got the same BBK, its actually the 70mm BBK from a 05-10 V6 Mustang, believe it or not. I have a dowel kit for it that I sell to help center it better onto the intake manifold. Check the classifieds here, I posted it up.

2. Fingers crossed. Lol.

Did you ever put a dyno run to get some numbers before and after on the exhaust?

What do you have planned next, drive train upgrades? built block? weight reduction? :thumbsup:
No, no dyno run yet. I have too many changes I'm making at the moment. Still alot going on with it.

Check my PTU Build thread. Also Got a flexplate upgrade on the way and gonna do Matt's TC for drivetrain.

I've got Ryan at RMB Motorworks building me a built long block as we speak.

And weight reduction...I've done quite a bit, but still only have it currently weighing in at 4540lbs. It's a heavy beast.

1. Yes, I've got the same BBK, its actually the 70mm BBK from a 05-10 V6 Mustang, believe it or not. I have a dowel kit for it that I sell to help center it better onto the intake manifold. Check the classifieds here, I posted it up.

2. Fingers crossed. Lol.

Made another typo: 1. Big break kit, sorry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Made another typo: 1. Big break kit, sorry

Funny...you meant Big "Brake" Kit, huh? Lee also sells the BBK throttle body and thought that's what you meant. Haha.

But as far as brakes, I'm not sure, I never asked Lee as I already had the TCE kit, which is larger. Problem is you lose the ebrake...sucks but I've never once used my ebrake since I've owned the vehicle. I have work arounds...lol.

Back