Finally found blend door actuator gears available! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally found blend door actuator gears available!

renaissanceman

Reaction score
City, State
Central CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Saturn SL2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Made in USA
American_Flag.gif

Domestic production of parts like this is getting more and more rare, it seems. I hope there will be a resurgence of American manufacturing in the coming years!

^ Agree. But we need to get tooling costs much lower. $20 for that tiny gear is crazy expensive. It's not a Rolex part.

Yeah and niche stuff like this is fairly low volume, so the full cost of the tooling gets spread over a small run, leading to $20 small parts. Still better than $40 for a whole actuator if only the gear is broken I suppose.

Wanna get rich? Make all METAL timing chain guides for the 4.0L SOHC. ;)
Wouldn't sell huge volume, but you could command super premium prices.

That's until Dorman/Help of China clones your product. IMO, pure garbage.
Actually U.S. owned but I've never seen a domestic made product from them.

Yeah, a case in point was a guy who innovated a welded steel part to fix a plastic coolant passage in the intake manifolds of 2000-2002 Saturn S-Series cars...his parts are top knotch, made in a small shop in Georgia. Cost $80 and worth every cent -- He will email me back immediately if I need.

Dorman copied his design and makes a shoddy workmanship chinese knockoff and sells it for $30. I think he has a patent, but probably can't afford the legal costs...

:thumbdwn::mad:

Back