• Register Today It's free!

Finally, heat again. Now what....

jwild4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
In my 95 sport, the engine temp gauge doesn't have an "N" for normal opperating temp. I had always noticed that my engine never ran hot at all. But it didn't really bug me until this winter when it has gotten so cold, that my heater not working made me look into it. So obviously I had the same problem many explorer owners have had with the thermostat. Anyhow I replaced it today and, walla, heat, and an engine that is now reading normal... So, my question is if I have been driving this long (a year and a half) with my thermostat stuck open could I have done any damage by runing the engine so cold, and with the resulting lean mixture? Also I'm sure the last time I reset my computer that the thermostat was broken, so now that I have replaced it, should I reset my computer or not? Thanks. This board has been so helpful!

Jason

Runing cold would cause your X to run rich, not lean. I don't think you need to reset the computer. A thermostat is not electronically controled and the sensors will recognise the change in operating temp on their own.

My bad, thanks for the correction. I was more concerned that the computer learned how I drive while my engine was never at the correct operating temp. I was just curious if anyone knew if this would negatively affect performance.

Back