Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Search is down and I have been looking but can't seem to find a couple answers so..

1)..Front Calipers..
...I had read that the second gen front dual piston calipers are a straight swap and can be done with stock, first gen rotors...Is this true??..I thought I saw a thread of the swap and it was a little more involved...

2) ..Rear disc swap..
...I can't seem to find the second gen rear caliper brake swap info to a first gen...

...:dunno:...I might have read these in others build threads but I thought for sure there were "How To" threads on this...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Awww, Thank you...That is the one I was looking for , for the rear disc swap...:biggthump

...I just need to find the front disc simple upgrade info...

...If they are the same as the first gen's, I don't see why not...:dunno:

...I do know that there are small variables as in grooves and sizing differences that sometimes need to be addressed...

your welcome, today I just snagged the entire rear disc conversion of a 96 explorer along with the rear sway bar. gonna to quick disconnects on it. i'll be takling the conversion in the next weekend or two. Jason

I was looking at the pictures of the single, and dual piston calipers on Autozone's website, and they look a lot different. I don't know if they could be swapped, but then it's hard to tell from a small picture. The single piston has open ends for the hammered in pins, and the dual piston has closed ends for bolts.

I used to have a Ranger with front brakes similar to the 1st gen and Aerostar. I don't see how you could get the 2nd gen calipers to work unless there is something I'm missing. The Ranger had rubber lined pins that you compressed to fit into a set of grooves between the caliper and steering knuckle. The 2nd Gen has Slide Pin bolts that bolt into a caliper mounting plate.

To my knowledge the only front brake upgrades are the normal Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads, or you can go as far as putting a D44 knuckle on your D35 to get the bigger brakes. But that poses another set of issues with the bolt pattern difference.

However, since you obviously do a lot of off-roading with big tires Tbars, that would be something to look into as well for better bearings and lock out hubs.

I"ve been thinking for a while about the front brakes... and trying to use the dual piston calipers... I know that the Rangers used the i-beam setup until 97 I want to say... Did the Rangers ever upgrade to using a bolt on/off caliper setup instead of pins? If so could you use a spindle from a Ranger on the Explorer in order to use the calipers?

does this make sense or do I need to try and explain it differently?

Aha, good thought Josh. After looking at Rockauto's site it appears they DO have dual piston calipers, I'm trying to find a picture of the front knuckle to compare it as well. The only problem would be finding one with a D35 in the front instead of the D28. But I'm sure it is possible.

Edit: Here's your answer- http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21

Looks like it is possible swapping the whole knuckle in there. Sweet!

...This is what got me thinking of the upgrade a while back...When I saw this thread on the Cobra Brake upgrade...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193870

...I had the right pad fall out last week and I did some damage to my piston and it got me thinking I read somewhere about another upgrade but again, I haven't found it..:(

...The cobra upgrade works on the 4x2's and it uses a 13" rotor...For the price, he did a great job...:biggthump

...But I thought for sure there was a relatively easy dual piston upgrade and yes, I might have read about it on a Ranger...:scratch:

For a 'BOLT ON' upgrade, you FIRST need to upgrade to the spindle froma 95-97 4WD Ranger.

There is a guy on the RPS board (RacinRanger?)that makes an adapter to adapt the Cobra Brakes to the 95-97 Ranger Spindle. You will use your current rotor, but you will have the 'disc' cut/machined off, and it will be JUST a hub. While it is off, you will also want to have the studs pressed out, and install longer ones. The ones I used were an OEM spec stud from a Jeep.

Ryan

In that same thread, first post I found this
On an '89-94 Ranger (or '91-94 2wd Explorer) you can simply replace everything outboard of the balljoints
Does that mean just replacing everything on the knuckle? Like I'd tear it down like I'd be changing out balljionts, and replace with the newer Ranger parts?

...This might help for a visual...Post #2...
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So if I've looked at the pictures right... The answer to my own question would be a yes...

Back