• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Flowmaster

Goonowsky

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I got a 1991 explorer and looking to get just a muffler. Anyone got a flow or somethin else that they recommend? what size inlet and outlet pipes? offcenter/center? any info would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

scott93EB

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO (school) Los Alamos, NM (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
I got a 40 delta flow, it came with 2.25 pipe, and it was single in/out one was offset, but that worked out nice, went in without to much trouble, just getting the last section over the axle was the only thing that wasn't cake. Oh, this was also a catback kit, not just a muffler, I got it for 180$ on the net.

badash

Reaction score
City, State
Pitt meadows, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
i got the dynomax ultraflow, cat back it was same as the above price 180, they wanted to charge me 175 for the stock and i said screw it might as well get something that might make her sound a bit better for $5 more, this was also installed for that price.

Brock94

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I just bought a cat-back kit from Rock Auto-- whatever it was they had listed for my '94 (I wasn't looking for a performance muffler, just something without holes). It was about $130 including shipping and it fits and works great. It took about 1 1/2 hours to install and probably would have taken less time if I had ever done it before. The pipes are pre-bent to the right shapes, the hangers are in the right places and the kit came with the clamps and gasket.

You'll probably want to install a cat-back kit rather than just a muffler. I'm glad I didn't have to try to separate the rusty pipes from the rusty old muffler-- I just cut them off with a hacksaw.

Day

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
go to a little mom and pop shop with a 40 series bought elsewhere and have them custom bend the pipe for you. 2.25 inch is the best, i had mine done for 120 bucks from the cat back. Ordering the pre bent stuff is a waste of money.

Day

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
sorry now that ive read the above posts Im suprised at how cheap some people got the pre bent stuff. It used to be more expensive from what I remember...

Brandons

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 F150 SC 5.4
I wouldnt get cat back duals, i would really prefer tru duals. Just personal preference for me.. ive heard some of the cat back exhausts, and no offence to anyone, i didnt like them much. I dont even like mine but also cat back i figure has good performance vs single muffler, for a reasonable price. Tru duals would probably cost too much..

93liftedXLT

Reaction score
City, State
left coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
Goonowsky said:
I got a 1991 explorer and looking to get just a muffler. Anyone got a flow or somethin else that they recommend? what size inlet and outlet pipes? offcenter/center? any info would be helpful.
I only buy from these guys, great prices, fast shipping, and the cheapest anywere,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969983086&category=33636

I have stock cats, flowmaster 40 NON-delta cuss i think they sound like a honda, with 2.25 pipe all the way to a 3 inch tip, sounds freaking awesome,

I would not recommend anything bigger than 2.25 inch pipe since we all have ohc motors, sohc i would still do 2.25 -2.50 3 inch pipe is over kill.

and if u feel the need to run a test pipe, kiss your gas milage good bye

UtahX

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
The MagnaFlows are very nice as well.

bennyhana20

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
Flowmaster, delta 50 series. Nice sound, not too loud, pretty throaty, have been wondering if i should've grabbed the 40 series, ( the louder one). 2 1/4 in and out, i got mine for 80$ from summit, had them pricematch, and got free shipping. I had previously bought a tail pipe without a resinator from a napa like store, for 30$. not bad all about 120$ right now its just clamped. holding fine. might weld it in the summer. probably wont need to though.

scott93EB

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO (school) Los Alamos, NM (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Bauer
I would go for the welding, it will be worth it if you're keeping that system for even a short time. There was a thread about it, but clamps can rust, leak, or fall off of course. If you do any 4x4ing its worth it just so it doesnt come off, LOL

SteveO2569

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
ok well i just bout the super 40 series but realized i have 2 in and 2 out and i ordered single in and out so i have to cancel my order and go for the 2 in single out and then change my exit piping, my question is what would sound better? keeping it duel or just going out one pipe swept side? and how come mine is rigged 2 in and most other explorers r the other way around?

off-road97Xplor

Reaction score
City, State
moscow,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
You don't HAVE TO get duel in single/double out.....I have duel in stock but I got single in because all you have to do is get a shop to weld you a Y-pipe.
Heres what I did.....

SteveO2569

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
so you just had someone weld together your 2 inlet pipes to go in single and then went duel outlet to finish off your duel exhaust? what kind of muffler do u have and how does that sound on your explorer? (i have 4.0 sohc) i have mellowtone right now so i need some better soundin exhaust

SteveO2569

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
if you were to weld the two inlet pipes together to form a single inlet and then came out with a single outlet and took the pipe swept side what kind of difference in sound would that make then using a duel outlet to come out with duel pipe exhaust?

off-road97Xplor

Reaction score
City, State
moscow,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
SteveO2569 said:
so you just had someone weld together your 2 inlet pipes to go in single and then went duel outlet to finish off your duel exhaust? what kind of muffler do u have and how does that sound on your explorer? (i have 4.0 sohc) i have mellowtone right now so i need some better soundin exhaust
I didn't have it done yet but everyone I talked to said it will work and I have heard the Original 40 series on a V6 and it has a very nice musclecar sound.

off-road97Xplor

Reaction score
City, State
moscow,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
SteveO2569 said:
if you were to weld the two inlet pipes together to form a single inlet and then came out with a single outlet and took the pipe swept side what kind of difference in sound would that make then using a duel outlet to come out with duel pipe exhaust?
The duel out would be louder than single.

SteveO2569

Reaction score
City, State
Brentwood TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
in your opinion what do u think would make the V6 sound bettter the swept side or duel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

spindlecone

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Am compeled to interject, you guys keep dicking around with DUELS, someone is going to get killed, or at least lose an eye.
That being said, consider catback single in, DUAL, side out, sound is to die for.

Attachments

Last edited:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S This the Flowmaster for a SOHC? Modified Explorations 6
R Flowmaster Need Help... Modified Explorations 13
T FLOWMASTER 40 muffler got it today.. Modified Explorations 34
J Flowmaster Cat-back Modified Explorations 3
Afboy143 ATTN: Flowmaster Dual 40 Series Owners Modified Explorations 53
Afboy143 Quick flowmaster question Modified Explorations 20
Afboy143 Does this flowmaster muffler require a H pipe... Modified Explorations 2
302Xplorer Think I can sneak a flowmaster on my X? Modified Explorations 14
302Xplorer Flowmaster 50 series question Modified Explorations 6
302Xplorer While I'm having a Flowmaster 50 put on..... Modified Explorations 16
D Flowmaster Fart Cannon? Modified Explorations 2
T Gibson Vs. Flowmaster Modified Explorations 31
J Flowmaster Catback install Modified Explorations 16
9 muffler other than flowmaster Modified Explorations 45
Flounder Flowmaster 50 Series Modified Explorations 6
4 Where can you buy Flowmaster 50? Modified Explorations 4
L Flowmaster Super 40 series Modified Explorations 6
302Xplorer Flowmaster 50 Delta Modified Explorations 7
C flowmaster muffler question Modified Explorations 1
G Flowmaster Exhaust too Ricy? Modified Explorations 30
O Flowmaster cat-back exhaust system install and REVIEW!!! Modified Explorations 65
N Flowmaster or KKM air intake? Modified Explorations 6
O Cherrybomb Or Flowmaster 40? Modified Explorations 7
S flowmaster force 2 kit????? Modified Explorations 12
E Flowmaster 80 Series Modified Explorations 2
A flowmaster not sounding right Modified Explorations 11
S Flowmaster 50 Question Modified Explorations 4
C Flowmaster 70 series Modified Explorations 4
S Flowmaster 40 series kit? Modified Explorations 7
T Flowmaster Force ll Modified Explorations 0
2 Flowmaster 40 series Modified Explorations 2
M Flowmaster Cat Back. Modified Explorations 34
E Flowmaster fittings Modified Explorations 1