Flywheel can i have it resurfaced or do i need a new one its in a 2002 ford explorer xlt 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flywheel can i have it resurfaced or do i need a new one its in a 2002 ford explorer xlt 2wd

Bizzyben1985

Reaction score
City, State
McComb ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
Can I get this resurfaced or do I need a new one

20231203_085712.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh damn, how many teeth are gone? Did you look further?

I haven't got all the way to it bt so far I have seen no teeth missing

Oh damn, how many teeth are gone? Did you look further?
I haven't gotten all the way to it bt I haven't seen any missing yet bt my starter is just spinning and I just put a new one on it that's when I seen the groove

What groove?

The “missing teeth” looks like a shadow? Hard to tell if teeth are actually missing? If those teeth are broken (looks like it) then yes you need a new flexplate

This truck is automatic? That looks like a flex plate not a flywheel

Flexplate = auto
Flywheel = manual

What groove?

The “missing teeth” looks like a shadow? Hard to tell if teeth are actually missing? If those teeth are broken (looks like it) then yes you need a new flexplate

Flexplate = auto
Flywheel = manual

On my laptop it looks like there are 4 teeth that have been severely damaged. I think the groove he is talking about is the parting surface between the ring gear and the converter.

What groove?

Flexplate = auto
Flywheel = manual
Yes a automatic and imma be look to see if they are broken this morning

The starter is just spinning and I have already replaced it and I just look at the flexplate and the teeth are fine

Can you get a better photo because in this shot the first 4 teeth don't look fine...

flexplate2.png

Bizzyben,
IMG_0183.jpeg
this is what we all see as missing teeth. Maybe it’s the shadow making it look that way but we‘re having trouble believing it. You’re the only one who can have actual eyeballs on it. Are those four teeth just stumps or are they full undamaged teeth, same as the others on the right? Thanks for clarifying.

Back