Ford 9" questions.

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
Ok what vehicles came with a 31 spline 9 inch? I need a cheap 3rd member for one. Now I also have heard there is a scarce hi pinion version of the 9. Anyone know anything of this? I have been given a FREE front axle minus the third member. Including YJ outers and manual hubs. EVERYTHING ready to go in except no third member. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1- You were given a free 9" front? really? That is all custom and they are usually several thousand dollars. I would go back to whoever gave it to you and at least hug them and buy them a beer. :D

2- There was no factory high pinion 9" 3rd member. Currie started it off with a custom made 3rd, only thing is it uses 8.8 gears so you no longer have the monster 9" pinion. There is a company now making a true 9" high pinion and its BIG money.

3- The only thing you're gonna find a stock 31 spline 3rd in is a truck or big bronco. Cant remember the exact year they went from 28 to 31, but it was in the early-mid 70's. Bear in mind its not gonna work in the front (if you have a custom made 9" front) without some work.

4- You really got a free 9" front? Really? Sorry, i just cant get past this part. I need friends like the ones you have. :D :p

Correct me if I am wrong here Jimmy, but I believe that even the late '70s 2wd trucks came with 28 spline shafts. I just remember hearing that somewhere, so if that is true, if searching for a replacement 3rd, don't look at 2wds.

But I may be very wrong here................

No, they were 31. Or at least, i know for a fact they were 31 in '78. It is Ford afterall, they are the kings of using stuff that they have just laying around so be sure to check EVERYTHING you get in a junkyard.

My dad had an '87 F150 with a factory 9" in it. No such thing, yet there it was. :p My guess is Ford found one hiden behind a parts bin somewere and threw it in some random truck going down the assembly line. :D

Yes I was really given a front 9 inch. I helped a friend of mine dismantle his b2300 that had it and it was a killer gift for the help. tried to get the atlas from him but its in the to be sold pile. I am led to believe i can just slap a rear 9 inch third member in this. He has interchanged front and rear diffs a few times. I have seen a bunch on ebay for cheap and may go that route. Would rather get something from a u pull it though. I will try to post pics soon.

Back