Ford ETIS - Find all build info for your ex (or any Ford) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford ETIS - Find all build info for your ex (or any Ford)

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Now I'm sure why my highway gas mileage isn't great!

Have Fun!

Build Date: 21.09.1995
Vehicle Line: Explorer/Mountaineer
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Version: Ford Series
Engine: 4.0 V6 OHV 12V EFI
Transmission: A4LD (E)
Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD)
Axle Ratio: 4.10
Emission: California Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Automatic Air Conditioning
Paint: Deep Jewel Green

Saddle
Super Soft
112"/2845MM Wheelbase
(-)"XL"
Louisville Plant Built
With Electronic Group
With Privacy Glass
Standard Ovrhed Console & With Rail
With Unique Full Floor Console
Front Floor Carpet Mats
Rear Floor Carpet Mats
With Load Area Cover
With Integrated Roof Rack
With Lower Body Moulding
With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
With Driver 6 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
With Pass 6 Way Power Seat Adjuster
4 Door Wagon
With Int. Rear Window Wiper/Washer
With Electric Slide Sunroof
With Front Licence Plate Bracket
7 X 16" 3 Spoke Chrome Steel Wheel
Less Rear Axle Limited Slip Diff
4.0 V6 OHV 12V EFI
With Speed Control
With Message Centre
Ele Lux Digital Stereo/Cass/Clock
With CD Player Autochanger
With NAAO Radio Frequency
With Audiophile Sound System
With Front Fog Lamps
Deep Jewel Green
Ford Series
A4LD (E)
Explorer/Mountaineer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! It looks like the site remembers your session and you have to click the text "Last selected vehicle - No detailed vehicle information available." to enter a new VIN.

Odd, the list for mine reads "Less Driver Air Bag" "Less Passenger Air Bag" but I'm pretty sure it has air bags, or at least I assumed it yet they've never gone off. Could you even choose not to have air bags on a '98 considering it was Federally mandated that trucks have them by Sept. 1, 1998??

Awesome. Couple of oddities on mine, though (highlighted in bold).

Primary Features
Build Date: 26.09.1995 Titled as a MY 1996
Vehicle Line: Explorer/Mountaineer
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Version: Ford Series
Engine: 5.0L OHV SEFI V8 (NP)
Transmission: 4R70W (AODE) 4-Speed Auto Trans
Drive: LHD RWD
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: With 49 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: Medium Willow

Willow Green 87
112"/2845MM Wheelbase
(-)"XL" XL? It has an "XLT" badge on the back... Strange.
St. Louis Plant Built
With Electronic Group
With Privacy Glass
Standard Ovrhed Console & With Rail
With Unique Full Floor Console
Front Floor Carpet Mats
Rear Floor Carpet Mats
With Load Area Cover
With Running Boards
With Integrated Roof Rack
With Lower Body Moulding
With Driver 6 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
With Pass 6 Way Power Seat Adjuster
With Light Duty Trailer Towing
4 Door Wagon
With Int. Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Rocker Tu-Tone Paint
7J x 15 Flush 5 Port Aluminum Wheel
P235/75R15SL S/BLT OWL A-T
Rear Axle Limited Slip Differential
5.0L OHV SEFI V8 (NP)
With Speed Control
Ele Lux Digital Stereo/Cass/Clock
With CD Player Autochanger
With NAAO Radio Frequency
With Audiophile Sound System
With Front Fog Lamps
Medium Willow
Ford Series
4R70W (AODE) 4-Speed Auto Trans
Explorer/Mountaineer

Odd, the list for mine reads "Less Driver Air Bag" "Less Passenger Air Bag" but I'm pretty sure it has air bags, or at least I assumed it yet they've never gone off. Could you even choose not to have air bags on a '98 considering it was Federally mandated that trucks have them by Sept. 1, 1998??

That's weird. I'd be looking for airbags in that truck :eek:

Found out years ago FordEtis vehicle summaries are not 100% accurate. Here's another site with recall info:

http://www.vindecoderz.com/

That's weird. I'd be looking for airbags in that truck :eek:

Thinking more about it, seems like I recall there being an air bag in the steering wheel when I replaced a burnt out bulb in it, though it looks from the outside like a standard air bag wheel too.

Awesome. Couple of oddities on mine, though (highlighted in bold).

Primary Features
Build Date: 26.09.1995 Titled as a MY 1996

(-)"XL" XL? It has an "XLT" badge on the back... Strange.

Mine was built on the 21st, it is a 96.

(-) XL indicates less XL package (stripped down with no options).

I looked up my 96 4.0 and found that it has the "Light Duty Trailer Tow Package"

When we purchased it used from the first owner, the truck had no tow bar installed, but did have the trailer wiring pigtail behind the bumper - we just added the short adapter to a flat plug.

It also has the standard A/T cooler in the radiator, but isn't the towing package supposed to also include a secondary aux cooler - or is that only for the 5.0?

Also I pulled out the original owner's manual in the leather case last night, and found that the PO stuck the dealer window sticker in there - it also shows the LD trailer tow pkg.

It also shows the listed dealer cost in 96 as $29k :eek:

I looked up my 96 4.0 and found that it has the "Light Duty Trailer Tow Package"

When we purchased it used from the first owner, the truck had no tow bar installed, but did have the trailer wiring pigtail behind the bumper - we just added the short adapter to a flat plug.

It also has the standard A/T cooler in the radiator, but isn't the towing package supposed to also include a secondary aux cooler - or is that only for the 5.0?

Also I pulled out the original owner's manual in the leather case last night, and found that the PO stuck the dealer window sticker in there - it also shows the LD trailer tow pkg.

It also shows the listed dealer cost in 96 as $29k :eek:

Mine also has the light duty trailer package. I assume it's 3:73 gears and that's it.

Yeah I believe 3.73 and 4.10 along with LSD were part of the pkg, the rear LSD shows up as a line item with the pkg on the window sticker

You'd think they would have put a class II hitch or at LEAST a ball on the bumper with any towing package, but no. Guess they didn't want people ripping their bumpers up but they did put the hole for one there... anyone know what weight the bumper is rated for?

Edit: Owners manual states:

"The rear bumper is equipped with an integral hitch and requires only a
ball with a 19 mm (3/4 inch) shank diameter. The bumper has a 1 590 kg
(3 500 lb.) trailer weight and 159 kg (350 lb.) tongue weight capability.
Use a frame-mounted weight distributing hitch for trailers over 1 590 kg
(3 500 lb)."

Think I'd still want a class III hitch for more than a couple thousand lbs.

You'd think they would have put a class II hitch or at LEAST a ball on the bumper with any towing package, but no. Guess they didn't want people ripping their bumpers up but they did put the hole for one there... anyone know what weight the bumper is rated for? Seems like maybe 350lbs tongue and 2000lbs total. I saw other claims that the total is 3500lbs but I wouldn't want to chance that.

I towed WAY more than the bumper should have handled on my 91 Sport - I once filled our cargo trailer with 4700lb crushed rock and it pulled it fine. Total trailer weight probably came close to 6000lb. I did not plan this, the rock quarry guys misheard me and put two buckets full into the trailer before I saw what happened.

I had 4-dr springs and an AAL in it, the rear end barely squat at all, and the bumper was not damaged or sagging in any way.

HOWEVER that was with the original bumper on the Sport, which I later swapped out with a chrome bumper from a 94 XLT. For some reason the original Sport bumper had a substantial amount of structural reinforcement in it, while the XLT bumper was pretty much just the bumper shell itself plus two stamped reinforcement plates - the same simple style is used on my 96 as well.

When I swapped the bumpers the Sport bumper felt easily twice as heavy. Still do not know why it was so heavily built.

Back