Ford Explorer 1995 Tranny stopped working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 1995 Tranny stopped working.

OzzE

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 1995
Hi, My tranny (4R55E?) died yesterday. It's stuck in reverse and I can't make it go forward at all, The linkage is working so it's something inside the tranny....

My Question:

I got in contact with a tranny repairshop and they have a tranny from 1997 thats rebuild for sale.. He says that the only difference between my 1995 tranny and this one from 1997 is an extra sensor on the 1997.. wich I dont have to connect since my computer doesn't have that funktion. What sensor is he talking about? Can I really just skip that and still get it running as normal?
Can I mount the 1997 tranny in my 1995 car and make it work? Or will I have lots of errors in my onboard computer?

Please, Any ideas or hints would be greatly appreciated!
I have reserved the tranny for a few days so a quick answer would be nice :)

/OzzE (Sweden)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the trans code on your door? My 95 has a T trans code which is the A4LD.

Is this perhaps the code you asking for?
95GT-GAA ?

So far as I can tell in my 95 transmission adventures, is that 95-97 are the same then they switch in 98. I am sure there is some overlapping of years and parts so just get under there and look and and make sure everything is the same.

On a side note, MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE CONVERTER!

Back